Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's done! After 15 years of looking, wishing, and finally finding the right car at the right time (when I had the money and the time) I have got my long time dream car! A 1969 Cougar 428SCJ with a 4-speed and 3:91 rear end! Yup,...an "R" code. Yup, with Ram Air and hood pins. Cool.

I can recall looking at lots of different ones over the years; even the one's I can't recall I'm sure there were a few that I sure would have bought if the circumstances were right. But you all know the story: got the money...can't find the right car. Found the right car...don't have the money. There were even a few times where I found the car and had the money, but something else in my life (read kids, illness in the family, etc) precluded me from getting my dream started.

No more! The hunt has ended. Growing up in early 70's (yes I am nearing 40!) I had this neighbor who had the cougar. The car with the sequential tail lights.....cool....., the mag rims....wow...., the big engine....vvvvrrrummm, the headers and the dual exhaust! And it was custom painted with an airbrushing of a mountain cougar on the side! The first time I saw it I told my best friend that I was going to buy one someday! The first person I called once I bought my new cougar (after the wife of course) was my best friend from the 70's. Hadn't spoke to him in 15 years and the first thing he said to me after I told him it was me was "Did you buy your cougar yet??. Sure did. And I got a good one!

Well, I've sure got some work to do. The car is all original, original owner put a coat of paint on it in 1997 to sell it, the next owner kept it for 1 year, sold it to the PO and I bought it this summer. PO bought it and just rolled it into his garage for 4 years! He was a collector and had about 13 other cars (Mustangs, Cuda's, Cougars, etc). He sold this one and a few others to buy a 69 Mustang Boss 429. He is serious into this stuff.

My car has manufacture date of Feb 13, 1969. The only options ordered on the 2DR Hardtop (base price $3592), were CJ428-4V ($343.10), 4-Speed Manual Transmission ($229.50), Traction Lok Differential ($73.60), High Performance Axle ($6.90), Electric Clock ($18.67), F70x14 (NC), Ram Air Induction ($172.80), Hood Lock Pins ($9.00), AM Radio ($85.00), and Decor Group ($106.70). For a grand total of $4684.10 MSRP ($3809.40 invoice).

Yes for those of you that know, the 3:91 gave this car the "Super Cobra Jet" engine. It has the external oil cooler, lemans rods, 1UA crank, relocated horn! It was bought for the drag strip. Not even power steering or power brakes!

Currently it has a Performer 390 intake (Aluminum to reduce weight and headers but everything else is original. Grabber bars on the back. Cool

I took delivery in May. Rolled it into the garage because the PO had robbed the carb for another 428CJ manual, plus it hadn't been turned over in 4 years. I drained the oil, pulled the pan, replaced rod bearings, main seal, checked mains, replaced all fluids, bought an original C9AF-9510-U replacement carb, new plug wires, coil, spun up the oil pump with a drill, and boom......it fired up with only 3 seconds of cranking. Actually it scared me and I shut it back down! Starting it back up after the grin on my face quit hurting and .............

Man it is sure sweet!!!! Looking forward to many years of enjoyment!

Brian
(aka Cougar428SCJ)

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congratulations! That is one mean Cougar... Wish mine had a drivetrain like that :D How many miles on her?

Chris

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's got 77,800 miles on the odometer.

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear Tires Smokin'

Thanks Leon. First time out after I got out of the backalley I shifter to second, took a look ahead and sat on it! Ther rears started smokin' until I backed off and shifter to third!

The only thing that would have been better than what I've got is an XR7 conv. How do you like yours?? I may see if I can find a 69 R code conv shell and transplant my drivetrain. LOL

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics in the members gallery

PS. A few pics are in the members gallery.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
SCJ Cougar

Great car! Interesting story!

Seems like all the BB Cougars around here are bought up for donors... Glad to see a "Survivor"!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Welcome to the forums Brian!! ....and a great car (even if it is a 69 :D :1poke: !!) Great bunch of people here so if you need info...here's the place to get it!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I just have to say!

That is one nice piece of machinery....I love it! SCJ428.....Yeah!

That car is awsome...

I don't see any emblems on the car... is it an elim, Xr7, or a standard.....Curious? Also how many 428 CJ's came with a 4 speed original....that is one tight setup...

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
R-Code

Good memory Logan! Yes this is the R-code that was in Cold Lake. As I mentioned, PO sold it to buy his dream car - a Boss 429 Mustang. I helped him load it the day he delivered my car and picked up his new Boss 429.

Brian

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Emblems

Tad the Cougar428SCJ is a standard coupe. I suspect the original owner removed all emblems when it was repainted and stuck on the cobra snakes on the front fenders and the COBRA insignia on the RR trunk. I plan to strip the car down and spin it on a cradle in a couple of years when I'll look to bring it back to original emblems, etc.

PS I still plan to look into those CJ internals this weekend when I go back up to Lloyd area. I'll email you offline next week.

Brian

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Super nice. they dont much better than that.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Well congrats now you need to feed that baby plenty of little boys with bow ties to keep it well. nice to see someone getting their dream car.

·
Registered
448 Posts
428 cougar

Great Find Brian!!!
You hit the jackpot, and welcome to the club. Just like you I am nearly 40 and fell in love with the neighbors Cougar back in the 70's. Fortunatley for me I was able to actually buy the exact car in 1990. I still have it!! I am in the process of building a street/strip dual quad 428 engine to replace my 351. Too bad my car did not come with it originally like thet monster you are now driving.
By the way, if the intake is the performer 390 and not the performer RPM, swap it for the RPM or any of the original ford hipo aluminum pieces and you will get even better performance, and retain the weight savings. The factory CJ manifold was a lot heavier than the performer 390, but flowed much better. Good luck with the CJ cat, I am truly jealous.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible
http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
kick ass find!!!! heres what i found though.... at the local tow yard that was able to help me get the 70 parts car, there is another 70 there in the mechanics shop being worked on for a customer. i read the VIN through the windshield and saw that it is a Q code... uh oh..... that means 428 right??? not sure if its for sale... but errrr. should i make an offer and harrass the owner of the shop to divulge the identity of the cars owner??? hell, maybe one of you wants it? he he.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts