Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, I know one of the 2 single wire connections on the starter solenoid has 12v when the ignition is on. Which one is it?
Towards the front or the rear? I need to hook my electric choke up to a switched 12v source.

Steve

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Steve, that lead is only live when the key is in "start", so that won't work for your choke. I ran a wire from the fuse block for my choke....

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, will undo it this week. Sending the car for Exhaust this week and filing her with fluids. Getting anxious now. Will turn key and croxx fingers next Sat.

Later

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Steve - My 69 has hot to the back one (small post on side) with key "ON", hot to the front one with key in "START" position only.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Bob, that's back feed from the coil and not a 12 volt source...

Bruce

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Really? Damn, that is a problem, isn't it? Why do I have 12V at it without a coil? Hmmmmmmmmmm :(

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Because with no coil there's no load, plug the coil in and close the points then tell me how many volts you have..

bruce

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Don't have points. I used it to switch on my MSD and I have spark.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Did you remove the resister wire when you went to MSD. That terminal on the solenoid is to bypass the resister when cranking so the coil will have max voltage to start. The trigger on your MSD probably draws very little current, so you shouldn't have a problem. But the choke heater will draw a couple of amps, at least. That may still trigger your MSD, but I would still recommend that you run a seperate line...

Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts