Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I have had to line up my distributor. I'm used to having a bolt on the crankshaft. What is the easiest way to do this? Just keep tuning it over?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
all motors are the same in this respect - you need to know where the #1 cylinder is and where the #1 post on your dist are located. Then, it's just a matter of making sure you are on the compression stroke coming to TDC on your balancer......usually marked if you clean it up good. (it helps to mark the dist body to #1 cap position too) then see if your rotor lines up with the #1 position. Thsis can be off a bit depending on how much your dist is turned in relation to the TDC position to create advance/retard. but you should be within 10 degrees or so. I bet youtube is loaded with videos on the topic....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to Thank You guys for all your help. I just realized that my car may be vintage, but definately not Classic. I found another sight for my car, but you can bet I will be reading up on this one. I hope some day I can come back and discuss MY classic with you! Sorry, I didn't realize sooner.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Good luck with it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts