Votes: 19 38.0%
  • 67/8 in front of wheel

Votes: 5 10.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cats Thought I'd share with you a way to solve some rust problems with 1/4 panels.Often rusted behind wheel and in wheel arch we're usually forced to replace entire 1/4 with some substandard lacklustre piece of reproduction ????.Not any more.First I can produce a patch panel for 69/70 that welds to the body crease behind wheel and extends from wheel arch to bumper.This piece is currently $50 each side and is made from satin material of .045 thickness that won't rust again.The patch panel has the correct bends underneath and is easily fit to whatever length you require.To repair a wheel arch take a damaged fender from opposite corner and cut out wheel arch .Shorten in center by about 1 1/2 inches,use wheel lip trim as a reference and weld onto your original 1/4 panel.You will probly need to repair the bottom of wheel house and trunk drop off but easy cause its flat material.Again my advice is to use satin material so it won't rust again.Gotta think if they were using this satin material in 60s I wouldn't be telling you now.Don't confuse satin with galvanized.They are different.Any one with a grinder and welding tools can put these panels right in a day.I'm considering branching out to 67/8 1/4 patches and also the patches in front of wheel.Let me know what you think THX Ray/Pacificatz http://pages.cthome.net/cougar/crazy.htm

B

·
0 Posts
1/4 panels

I would be more intersted in 67/8 panels as they are not otherwise available. I have a 69, and a 67 XR7, and the 69 is in much better shape. I would also be interested in fron fender patches, under the front body line.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
patch panels

There are front fender patches available for the 67/8 cougar.Price is about 50 each and are 17 inches tall.69/70 panels can easily be made THX Ray

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel house

I cut and shape pieces to fit outer wheel house where its rusted usually about a 2" strip with the flange bent into it.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
panels in front of the wheels

Ray,
can you make the front panels as well? If so whats the asking price on them too? just curious cause i now know when i buy my parts for my prodject i know where to get them if there damaged or rottted.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have made for in frt of the tire on rear 1/4 panel but they require a little fill to get the smooth bend or contour below body line. I think I have one set of L&R left still. I have not yet endeavoured the frt fender patches. Catzya,Ray

·
Registered
356 Posts
UGHH!!

A few months ago I was searching for rear quarter patchs, no luck, I bought whole quarters just to cut a couple of patches. Good quality though. I beleive they where from a company called Tabco. I was able to use some of the other sheet metal for other repairs. This should be interesting, I think someone would sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I spent a long time looking for rear patch panels for a 68. I tried to get them from John's but he was not successful in getting anyone to make them. I finally have gotten full 1/4's but would have preferred th4e patches. I think this is an opportunity.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have looked high and low for 68 patch panels with no success. I drove from Atlanta to Charleston with a metal cutting saw to cut one off a car the guy said was in great shape. Luckily I took my compressor and a die grinder with a 3M cleaning disc and found that the entire quarter had about a 1/4" of bondo in it with a few rust holes to boot. He gave me a crappy center grill emblem for my trouble! Gee thanks!!

I would give my two front teeth for a good drivers side quarter patch panel both in front and behind the wheel! You've got a customer here!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have sinse hammer and dollied this damage out but I would rather have a good patch panel. Do your panels include the contur where the rear bumper ends are? Or the mounting surface for the end caps?
Thanks, Rich

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rich,
My panels need some work at rear where bumper indents are. Its not a big deal for a competant sheetmetal worker but its harder to find a good one that a patch panel I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ray, I need both sides, front and back for my '70 :) A full 1/4 for dr. side would be better, but just both frt./back on pass. side. :)

Rick

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
None of the above!!!

Sure, sure. The early years get all the attention again, leaving the owners of the 3rd gen Cats (71-73) out in the cold again!

When will the Cougar hobby start including us?

/rant

Sorry Ray, its just a pet peeve of mine...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Re: None of the above!!!

Cougrrcj said:
Sure, sure. The early years get all the attention again, leaving the owners of the 3rd gen Cats (71-73) out in the cold again!

When will the Cougar hobby start including us?

/rant

Sorry Ray, its just a pet peeve of mine...
Cj, hold on its coming! Have you seen the increase in price of the 71-73 Mustangs in the last few years? Before that they were the b**tard stepchild that couldnt be given away! I belive with the 68-70's getting harder to find and a run of the mill m code 69 Mach bringing 15-20 g's that the 71-73's are getting more desirable. Anyone dont think the same is going to happen to the later Cougars?? There never going to catch the equal prices and popularity of the Mustangs (of any years) but there will come a definate increase of popularity (read parts!) and price. Anyone else care to comment on my predictions? mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Third gen popularity

Yeah, it may be coming, but it is coming too late. Many 71-73s are going to the junkyards (if they're not there already) because of the lack of reproduction parts. It is a matter of economics. It would cost too much to fix most of the 71-73s out there, so they just get junked. What a waste!

If I wasn't so dedicated to the Cougar cause, I could probably part out BetaCat and make a healthy profit, but there would be one less 73 XR-7 Q-code hardtop out there. If I ever get around to restoring it, I'll have much, much more into it than I could ever get out of it if I chose to sell it. The same cannot be said for the more common Mustangs.

Years after the fact, I am still kicking myself for parting out/junking the 72 XR-7 Q-code convertible I had briefly. Parts were not available to restore it (fender aprons, correct floors, and especially body panels) and I didn't have the tools and knowhow I do now (MIG welder, Plasma cutter, etc). That car would not be a piece of cake to fix even today, but at least there would be one more Q-code convert around today. From the production figures I have seen, that car was one of maybe two hundred made or so with that combo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a 71 couger too and i wish i could get 1/4 panel patches for it i think they are really cool cars that don't get the credit they deserve im building a 460 for mine just have to get the pushrods

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i see rust free 71-3s in the junk alot. id be happy to cut panels off for people here... but i have no metal cutting tools for that. so unless someone wants to donate.... lol. and yeah.. ive cut a 1/4 panel off with hand tools before... not fun at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts