Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
That rumor has been around for a while, though DEW-lite is most likely not going to be used. Latest speculation has the C170 (Focus) chassis being used.

It should also be noted that any new mustang/cougar will show up in 04 as a 05 model.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
PLEASE........let it be true!!!!!!!!! My SHO will be 9 years old soon. I've got to replace it sooner or later. I'd like to buy a new Cougar with some Muscle. How Ford is going to do it on a Focus Chassis is beyond me. The Focus is a good platform, but how will it be transformed into a RWD platform?

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The RWD/V8 conversion has already been done! And it's a bolt in for 5.0 or 351 with a 5 speed or C4 and 8.8 Mustang rearend.
http://www.ford-v8-focus.com/

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah, that is scary. So much for blowing away the sh*tbox Focus with a 4" fart pipe! (Notice I capitalized "Focus") :D
Man, talk about the ULTIMATE sleeper!
:eek2:

·
Registered
107 Posts
will the new cougar look like the old?!

The new cougar idea sounds great!! But, will the new design look at all like the good old cougars. If they did a retro look for the car yet modern it would be a great hit!! For example, the thunderbird look has that retro look of the past yet modern. Ford did a good job with that but I think the price is high. I really hope that if they do bring back the Cougar, it will look alot like the old ones of the sixties and affordable.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The new Ford RWD/AWD platform has been locked down for about 6 months. The same platform is being used for short wheel base (Mustang, dead Jag F-type), mid wheel base (Falcon, Lincoln LS, Jag S-type) and long wheel base (Jag XJ, Marqis, Fairlane / LTD) for model releases after 2003.

Current RWD platforms are being progressively changed to accept components from the new platform such as a common IRS. The next Falcon / Fairlane is about to inherit the S-Type rear and I believe it is going under the next release of Mustang as well. Falcom gets new platform in 2004

1 - 9 of 9 Posts