Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 mercury cougar v6 auto trans, and it is having some problems. At idle, the car has trouble maintaining a steady RPM. Sometimes, it will stall at idle. Also, when you press the gas pedal all the way down, the engine will not go over 4800 RPM, it putts and stalls when it gets to this RPM. No engine light is on, and I have checked vacuum hoses that are easily visible, and none appear to be cracked. I have also checked the air filter and air intake which are both clear. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Sounds like the engine is running in safe mode. I'll bet you have a check engine light on. Could be the knock sensor(Just a guess as I had a simular problem brought to me by my B I L).

·
Banned
89 Posts
if there is no check engine light id get it on a scanner, you may have a pcm or prom issue because after a handful of cycles that are bad it should pick up on it and throw a light. but then again it may just be something not getting picked up on.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I had an '01 with the V6 that did weird stuff because of the fuel pump. There was a recall for faulty pumps, you may want to check that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel pump sounds like a good place to start. I don't have a check engine light so I don't think it could be a knock sensor. What about the EGR system? Any other causes out there? Also what is a good way/diagnostics to check to see if it is the fuel pump?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts