Mercury Cougar Owners banner

tire size on 14x6 magnums for '70

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  elfridaauston87 
#1 ·
Yes, another tire size question but I have searched and not many folks are staying with the stock 14 inch wheels. For my 1970 I've got the stock 14x6 inch steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps and a set of 14x6 Magnums. Looking for the largest 14" tire to fit without rubbing. Who is running 215/70, 225/70? Any bigger? Any 60's that will fit?

#2 ·
For a long time I had 225/70R14s on 14X6 magnums on my 69 XR 7. Looked good and no clearance issues.

#3 ·
Had a strange thing happen: Removed a set of brand new magnum 500s with 225/70/14 BF Goodrich radial tires from my 69 mach1 (which fit just fine with no rubbing), and when I went to mount them on my 69 428 Sport Special, they rub the upper control arm, even with a 1/4 inch spacer. What is the explanation here? How much spacer do I need? The stock steel wheels of course fit fine.

Any advice is appreciated.

#6 ·
I bet you have 14x7 wheels. I tried a set of these on my Cat and had the same issue. 3/4 of the extra width of a 7" wheel is on the back side.

#4 ·
I'm not sure 60's will fit on a 6" rim?

JSV - what is the backspacing on the rims? I would have thought you couldn't have any problems there.....maybe somebody put different spindles on the cat? I guess you could run wheel adaptors but it's not highly advised to do so for safety's sake.

I guess it could also be the mustang that had different harware on it too.....

#7 ·
I have stock steel wheels(with dog dish caps) on my 68, and are running 215/65/14 up front and 245/60/14 in rear and don't have any problems. There only temporary because i'm working on the engine and don't have new wheels and tires in the budget right now, besides, 14" tires are a pain in the a$$ to find! I put these on because it came with E78-14 with tubes in them. the guy at the tire store looked at me like I was from mars!

#9 ·
Sorry, none I can post at this time. I would have to go find a picture and scan it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.