Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Sincerest Apologies for a New Tire Thread - But Need Assistance Please

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  andrewb70 
#1 ·
My Sincerest Apologies for a New Tire Thread - However i scanned allot of the posts and didn't see (or missed) my application question:

So the last Cougars I owned spanned about 12 Years ago - but I never strayed from the Blue Oval - As luck would have it I landed a great Deal on a two Owner 1973 XR7 and need some assistance from the Veteran Owners. This is what I currently have mounted.

I purchased (4) 15 x 8 Magnum 500's
I currently have P215/60/15 on the front and P265/50/15 on Rear

I want to purchase BF GR Radial T/A's but looks like I am limited on the Sizes
I have confirmed that they carry the P215/60/15 for the Front so its actually the rear I am in a quandary over

So whats the Max size I can fit on the back - I have two options with BF GR Radials
1. 275/60/15
2. 255/60/15

I was hoping to go wider but thinking I may be a little maxed or close to it

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Just wondering, since your currently running 50's on the rear, is the back end jacked up (shackles/air shocks)? I had 50's on my old 72 and the only way they would clear was with one of those scenarios (I know bad owner :evil:) I'm running 15x7's with p235 60r 15s on my 73 currently all the way around :smoke:

#3 ·
CatsRock - From what I can see I have stander shocks on the back and there is no Issues with Rubbing
But you raised an interesting question - Because I am running P215 60 15 on Front so it sounds like i can go P235 Forward - But I wanted a natural Canter to the rear so I am curious if 275 is too tall? As I mentioned I have 265 and there seems to be some clearance but not sure if 275 is too much - BF Goodrich does not make 50's in these sizes which is kinda of a bummer

#4 ·
Yea I can't answer if the 275 is to much, if it were me i'd go to a reputable tire place with the cat and ask them unless someone here chimes in. When I upgraded mine to 15's and the BFG's I checked in with the store I used back in the day with my 75, they said I could have gone 1 larger with no problem but I stuck with the 235s. 15s are getting harder to find as everyone goes bigger these days, I remember being in the shop surrounded by vehicles putting on 24s and such:smoke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.