My 67 Cougar Build - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My 67 Cougar Build

Re: My 67 Cougar Build

Quote Originally Posted by Bad69cat View Post
    Is that a universal kit - or did you rob it from something? Surprised it fit!
    The hydroboost was from a 2003 mustang cobra. The wedge I borrowed from a manufacturer who reproduces them for Boss 429 mustangs. It doesn't quite work because the hole in the wedge is too large for the hydroboost. I used a large washer on the backside so I could attach the hydroboost to the wedge, but I wouldn't want to run it that way. The manufacturer is willing to make a wedge with a smaller hole, but I need to get the details ironed out like the pedal ratio and the interference with the billet hood hinge I have. One thing I'm glad is I don't need to offset the hydroboost with this setup.

HUH - I see a guy selling out parts from an 03 Cobra here......I might inquire on that. I'd like to lose the booster at some point
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

HUH - I see a guy selling out parts from an 03 Cobra here......I might inquire on that. I'd like to lose the booster at some point
    If you do pick up the hydroboost, would you mind measuring/calculating the pedal ratio for me from the 03 Cobra?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Will do..... if it's reasonable I may just grab the hanger and all so I have a point of referance

That thing is picked clean to the bone - Nothing left for the Hyena's! The car was in a flood and he sold off just about every part of the thing that unbolted.......must have had it priced right?! Missed the boat on that one..... :>(

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad68cat View Post
    Sorry pictures aren't coming fast enough. I wish the project was going a little faster. Seems like not enough time in the world to get stuff done. Lol.

I am actually borrowing the coyote from a friend of mine. The motor appears to be a crate motor from Ford. As for the transmission, I have a D&D performance viper spec t56 I found used to go behind it. I just changed the bell housing from a SBF motor to a mod motor and added a spacer to compensate for the increased input shaft length. Currently I have motor mounts fabbed up and tacked. The motor was put back in to verify dimensions that I will hopefully remove this weekend to finish weld the mounts.

How is the steering shaft going to work with the engine mount seemingly right in the way? Have you figured that out yet, is the picture deceiving, etc.?
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

That thing is picked clean to the bone - Nothing left for the Hyena's! The car was in a flood and he sold off just about every part of the thing that unbolted.......must have had it priced right?! Missed the boat on that one..... :>(
    Thanks for looking Bad69Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by 1969XR7Vert View Post
    How is the steering shaft going to work with the engine mount seemingly right in the way? Have you figured that out yet, is the picture deceiving, etc.?
    1969XR7Vert, the pictures are not deceiving. There is also interference not shown when the motor is installed with the motor pedestals. I will be trimming the frame mounts so that the edge is concentric with the prothane motor mount base. I'll leave approximately an 1/8". I'll then use a double joint at the rack connection to clear the motor mount pedestal that is bolted the engine.

More updates.

Brake pedal mod for adapting an 03 cobra hydroboost to the cougar pedal support. I replicated the pedal ratio from the cobra.

Pedal support setup with hydroboost, S197 mustang hydraulic master, and roller bearing converison

Used parts from the S197 mustang and adapted them to the cougar clutch pedal.

Hydroboost mounted using a reproduction Boss '9 mustang brake booster wedge to clear the coyote engine.

Very nice! Cool how compact all of that is! Guess it has to be with that fattie up front.......where will it land in relation to the headers I wonder?

I was surprised I was able to get both clutch and brake to fit. Neither part is anywhere near the header. If you look at previous post, you'll see the hydroboost has room to spare above the valve cover. I got lucky with the clutch master as it just pokes out the original clutch rod hole. I was fortunate to be able to use parts from the all 3 cars (cougar, 03 cobra, 2011-up mustang) to make sourcing parts in the future easier. I've tried only customizing parts that stay on the car and don't need to be replaced because I didn't want to be forced to special order a part if it failed while on the road. Now I can go to the parts store or dealer to find replacements. The only issue I have right now is clearing the gas shock for my billet hood hinge, but I have any idea to remedy that.

Looks like serious fab work from start to finish! It's fun looking over your shoulder, thanks for sharing your work.

As I watch, I wonder if I would be up for such a task. I could handle the fab work and I like the creative part of doing things like that. Guessing it is pretty serious money for the suspension, the drivetrain and all the ancillary bits. My restoration stopped at minor mod work, I just barely broke into restomod territory. Maybe in retirement something like you are doing would be just the ticket for me. Some of the parts will be cheaper by then too!

Nice work BTW!
    Last edited by 1969XR7Vert; September 30th, 2015 at 11:58 AM.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by 1969XR7Vert View Post
    Looks like serious fab work from start to finish! It's fun looking over your shoulder, thanks for sharing your work.

As I watch, I wonder if I would be up for such a task. I could handle the fab work and I like the creative part of doing things like that. Guessing it is pretty serious money for the suspension, the drivetrain and all the ancillary bits. My restoration stopped at minor mod work, I just barely broke into restomod territory. Maybe in retirement something like you are doing would be just the ticket for me. Some of the parts will be cheaper by then too!

Nice work BTW!
    Thanks 1969XR7Vert. I sometimes wonder if I'll be up to the task with the limited free time and funds I have. I just try to keep chugging away bit by bit and hope my ideas work considering this is my first coyote swap. What makes it a challenge is not using what's already available. I like to be different or maybe I just like the punishment. Lol. I can't really take the credit because people have already done what I have, just for a different application. I got the idea for the hydraulic clutch from the vintage mustang forum (66 mustang application) and using the wedge (Boss '9 Mustang application) from a Facebook group I joined that's dedicated to coyote swaps.

I can't wait to see the final product! I think all of the challenges to do this swap are enough to frighten many away - so it's cool to watch it being done.

I used a hydroboost from an 03 on my build as well! That's kinda strange..............
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    1970 Mustang SCJ drag pak, 4 speed
    1973 Mustang ram air 4 speed
    1990 Mustang (build in process 351 W twin turbo
    2003 Cobra convert
    1991 Chevy 4 X 4 383 and TCI trans twin turbo A/W I/C 350 carbed
    2012 Silverado crew cab Duramax
    2006 Ford F-150 stage 3 Roush
    1951 Ford 8n

Quote Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
    I used a hydroboost from an 03 on my build as well! That's kinda strange..............
    Which part is strange ng8264723?

Thread Information