Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Please Read - New Guys/Ladies

52K views 65 replies 48 participants last post by  charliemcd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#33 ·
1969 Cougar standard, 351W 4V, C6 trans. When I first went to look at it I thought it was an XR7 but I was wrong. But she is in good solid shape and I've decided to name her Scarlett since I plan on painting her maroon/dark red once I have the body work done. Currently she's gold. (I hate it.)
Here is a link to some pics of her:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102605547096425810480/albums/5737715223374733457

#34 ·
Hi all... got my 70 Cougar Std. with a 351C (I think), at the end of last year. All original, one owner... the car drives well etc... so I'm debating about keeping it original vs. putting a little modern spin on it. Any input would be appreciated. I love that its original and untouched, but I also crave a tighter handling car (slightly) and a meaner sound and look. It's blue with a white top. I had a dream of a black eliminator tribute a few nights ago and I can't get those images out of my mind. That's the way I'm leaning.

#41 ·
I looked at the form and I see that there is a spot for CCOA number - do I have to be a registered member to register my car?

#47 ·
I do not think so, but would suggest directing your questions in the (or another) submission and Phil Parcells (the keeper of this registry I believe) will advise.

#49 ·
Just brought home a 1967 289-2V. Registered here and posted the numbers in the Cougar Club National Database. Once I get some daylight(and time), I'm going to go over some numbers and see if things match up. I bought my first Cougar, a 1968-2V in 1986 and sold her in 1991. Since then, I've been waiting for opportunity to get another. It has side marker lights and from what I know(not a lot) they aren't supposed to be on there until 68'. Does anyone know why this might be?(this is a photo from where I picked it up)

#50 ·
Hi all. I am new to the forum and am enjoying it a lot. I own a '67 XR7, 289 2V, Black vinyl top over Polar White. I am the 4th owner of the car and have met the 2nd owner and of course the 3rd third owner whom I bought it from. For those of you in the StrayCats or Norcal clubs the car was owned by Mike Hoffman. I bought it from him. I am currently replacing all of the beltline weather strips and inside fuzzies. A challenge, but not too bad.
I'll probably be using this forum lot as I am now retired and will have time to get some things that need doing on the car done.

Ed B.

#52 ·
First post for a old Cougar owner and new forum member. Seems odd that my post is the first in this sub-forum since January 2015, but I had to put it somewhere!

Parents bought me a '69 351W coupe in 1974 to drive in high school in Texas. Drove it about 2 years until someone ran a red light and T-boned me in 1976 and totaled it. Used the insurance money to buy a '69 XR7 S-code convertible shortly afterward. Drove the '69 through college until 1981 when I bought a 1979 Toyota Celica and moved to Los Angeles area where I've been since. Towed the '69 to California when I moved here and have had it towed 6 times since, each time I moved around the area.
There was no way I was going to part with that car! The '69 was run several times over the first few years here but hasn't been cranked since about 1995. It's been sitting in my carport now for 20 years waiting for me to start getting it road ready again.

Glad to be a forum member, and hope I can find something to contribute or at least comment on until I make my first 10 posts. :)

Charlie

#56 ·
So, I was able to register on the Database (and I also became a CCOA member a couple of minutes ago). I have a 1972 Cougar XR7 Convertible (just purchased). Addtl. info on the Community Discussion forum.

What is interesting, is that I am also the Owner/Admin for the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club (www.sebringclub.net) & I also own a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited Hardtop Convertible. And I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 4x4 (for rock crawling).

Apparently, I have an illness (I love cars). ;)

#57 ·
I be the Newbee, or FNg for some of the older people here. I have an interesting item I found on the 68 Cougar I'm rebuilding. Car build 6/7/1968, ordered from a SLC, Ut dealership. When I tore it apart I found this on the lower Rad brace. History, I was told, and we all know how that goes, is they ordered it as a Dan Gurney but the order was cancelled before built and a 302/C-4 was installed in this XR7 trim. The 427 is no where in the VIN.
Has anyone ever come across this on their Cougars?

Attachments

#59 ·
I think you are confused A Dan Gurney Special did not have a 427 in it..

Mercury didn’t vigorously promote the XR7-G, but it did appear on Hertz lots alongside the Shelby G.T. 350H. And it did have the exclusivity, and muscle under the hood, distinguishing it from other Ford and Mercury offerings. Indeed, its one-year-only production run had a mere 619 units, including 62 with the 390 2 barrel, 14 with the 428 CJ, and a limited number with the 427 Sideoiler who didn't opt for the GT-E. The complete Gurney package added $666.95 to the price of the base car.

#61 · (Edited)
As I said, that was the story I was told. Doesn't matter, this is what's going in it with a C-4 and Currie 9". SSBC front discs, along with a bunch of other goodies.
Thanks for the welcome aboard input.

Attachments

#63 ·
That is just a rotation number. Here is one on a 1970 B2 Eliminator, nothing to do with what motor is in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.