Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Not another wheel thread!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  maxgig 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, I've been looking for a specific set of wheels that I saw on a fellow Cougar owners car for over a year now. Well the search is finally over, California is good for something after all. On a whim I took a picture of the car to a rim shop and the guy knew immediately what they were.

They're called American Vision Muscle 143 torque (I tried posting the web address but the link didn't work). Me and the wife are celebrating our 25th anniversary soon so she's getting me rims as a gift. I can get them staggered in sizes 18x9.5 rear and 18x8.5 front in gunmetal with the spinners, lugnuts and chrome valve stems for $650.

My other choice would be to get the Shelby GT500 wheels but they cost about $400+ each and I can't justify having the wife spending that much money on the cat that's not a hp upgrade. Before I put the wheels on the car though I'm going to do the rear drum to disc conversion.

#2 ·
I love the look and the price is great. I just wish they had a shallower back spacing available for the 9.5" rear. 0mm (5.3") offset is the shallowest then 12 (5.7"), 18mm (6") and 38mm (6.8"). The 0 Offset would be great for standard width axles as it pulls the tire in from the fender lip a bit. Too bad they don't make a 10-11" version with a 4" to 4.5" B.S.

I'd be ordering a set tomorrow...

Bill

#4 · (Edited)
Frankie, I was about to pull the trigger on 18x9.5 rears and 18x8.5 fronts with the 0mm offset, but they don't accept American Express. I thought about it and decided that I'll go with 18x8.5's all around since I like to do burnouts.

Plus having the same size on all 4 will allow me to get a little bit longer life out of them with tire rotations. As part of my rear drum to disc conversion I'm getting a line lock installed also. Now I just have to decide if I should piece meal the conversion kit or buy it outright.

#6 ·
Beautiful wheel, just wish there was a bigger size selection...

#7 ·
Thanks for posting the picture catman, I'm also getting the 3 prong center caps as well. I think the gunmetal will contrast just enough and look sweet on my gloss black car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.