Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,577

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by katnip302 View Post
    Hello Ed, Before making any decisions, you might consider taking a look at Street or Track, LLC. Shaun Burgess is the owners name, and the company is located in West Bloomfield, MI. http://streetortrack.com/
    I have their bracket kits for Cobra disc brakes on Isabel. They were good to deal with.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    vernon hills IL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,493

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Bob, you didn't use mustang Steve's?
    Justin
    1969 cougar , 347 efi resto mod project!
    1964 galaxie 352 fe -currently undergoing restification!!!
    1996 f150 ,351 supercab , 4" lifted, hot rodded,monster tow truck !

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    20

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by over50 View Post
    I bought my 68 last year. It had been lowered in front. As near as I can tell, they used the commonly available 1" lowering springs and associated pieces with KYB shocks. It drove OK but I didn't like the stock slave assist power steering. The first change was to install the Unisteer power rack. What a great improvement. Three turns lock to lock and great steering feel and return. (I can add some details about the installation if you want in a follow-on).


    I recently replaced the stock 3/4"(measured slightly less) front sway bar with a 1" TCI unit and added their 3/4" rear sway bar. Another great improvement. It took on a go-cart like feel for cornering, yet the suspension over bumps is compliant. Overall, I ended up with a very comfortable ride - not harsh - that corners great.
    What brand of anti-sway bars did you go with. I like TCP. Haven't bought yet. Interested to know who made the parts you are happy with.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    20

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by over50 View Post
    I bought my 68 last year. It had been lowered in front. As near as I can tell, they used the commonly available 1" lowering springs and associated pieces with KYB shocks. It drove OK but I didn't like the stock slave assist power steering. The first change was to install the Unisteer power rack. What a great improvement. Three turns lock to lock and great steering feel and return. (I can add some details about the installation if you want in a follow-on).


    I recently replaced the stock 3/4"(measured slightly less) front sway bar with a 1" TCI unit and added their 3/4" rear sway bar. Another great improvement. It took on a go-cart like feel for cornering, yet the suspension over bumps is compliant. Overall, I ended up with a very comfortable ride - not harsh - that corners great.
    I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.
    Last edited by sacarriker; November 6th, 2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    60
    Posts
    13,577

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by sacarriker View Post
    I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.
    Never heard of KBS shocks, did you mean KYB? Darting around on the road sounds like caster rod bushing problems or possibly UCA dogbone bushing wear, how are these on your car?
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

    Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    20

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by sacarriker View Post
    I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.
    Yes, KYB. I have checked and all the bushings and rods are good. We were able able to do a little work with the alignment to correct most of it. I guess I am just looking for a really solid handling like a modern car. I thought I had a problem in the steering linkage but its all good.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    304

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    My car darts pretty bad too. All my bushing are good. Maybe back to the alignment shop. I like total control racks. Been thinking of doing it. Pricey but if it works it would totally be worth it.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Druid City
    Posts
    942

    Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

    Quote Originally Posted by elimin8r View Post
    My car darts pretty bad too. All my bushing are good. Maybe back to the alignment shop. I like total control racks. Been thinking of doing it. Pricey but if it works it would totally be worth it.
    I have a TPC rack in my 67. It definitely works!

    Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Instagram @projectgattago

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. 1969-1970 front suspension questions
      By droptopcat70 in forum Cougar Community Discussion
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: January 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM
    2. suspension upgrade want feedback
      By cat crazy in forum Classic Cougar Tech
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: November 10th, 2012, 12:42 AM
    3. One more time on suspension upgrade
      By DesertCat in forum High Performance
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: June 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM
    4. Suspension upgrade/replacement
      By BlueThunder67 in forum Classic Cougar Tech
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: November 16th, 2007, 08:44 PM
    5. suspension upgrade
      By bad in forum Cougar Community Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: January 28th, 2003, 10:30 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •