Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

Re: Want to upgrade my 1969 front suspension. What did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by katnip302 View Post
    Hello Ed, Before making any decisions, you might consider taking a look at Street or Track, LLC. Shaun Burgess is the owners name, and the company is located in West Bloomfield, MI. http://streetortrack.com/
    I have their bracket kits for Cobra disc brakes on Isabel. They were good to deal with.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Bob, you didn't use mustang Steve's?
    Justin
    1969 cougar , 347 efi resto mod project!
    1964 galaxie 352 fe -currently undergoing restification!!!
    1996 f150 ,351 supercab , 4" lifted, hot rodded,monster tow truck !

Quote Originally Posted by over50 View Post
    I bought my 68 last year. It had been lowered in front. As near as I can tell, they used the commonly available 1" lowering springs and associated pieces with KYB shocks. It drove OK but I didn't like the stock slave assist power steering. The first change was to install the Unisteer power rack. What a great improvement. Three turns lock to lock and great steering feel and return. (I can add some details about the installation if you want in a follow-on).

I recently replaced the stock 3/4"(measured slightly less) front sway bar with a 1" TCI unit and added their 3/4" rear sway bar. Another great improvement. It took on a go-cart like feel for cornering, yet the suspension over bumps is compliant. Overall, I ended up with a very comfortable ride - not harsh - that corners great.
    What brand of anti-sway bars did you go with. I like TCP. Haven't bought yet. Interested to know who made the parts you are happy with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by over50 View Post
    I bought my 68 last year. It had been lowered in front. As near as I can tell, they used the commonly available 1" lowering springs and associated pieces with KYB shocks. It drove OK but I didn't like the stock slave assist power steering. The first change was to install the Unisteer power rack. What a great improvement. Three turns lock to lock and great steering feel and return. (I can add some details about the installation if you want in a follow-on).

I recently replaced the stock 3/4"(measured slightly less) front sway bar with a 1" TCI unit and added their 3/4" rear sway bar. Another great improvement. It took on a go-cart like feel for cornering, yet the suspension over bumps is compliant. Overall, I ended up with a very comfortable ride - not harsh - that corners great.
    I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.
    Last edited by sacarriker; November 6th, 2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Quote Originally Posted by sacarriker View Post
    I'm interested in your post because I am prepared to purchase and install the total control coil over conversion kit. However, your post made me wonder if I could get the effects I am after without adding the $2600 kit. I have installed 620 springs that lower the car 1" from stock. I have installed KBS shock. I have not upgraded the front anti sway bar or installed a rear anti-sway bar. I am using the stock power steering system that works fine. I have no play in my steering linkage. The problem I have is at times it darts on uneven roads. I have installed 5 leaf springs on back. I don't really have body roll. Do you think the sway bars are viable alternative I should try before paying up for the TCP kit? I like your statement about go kart like handling. I'm interested in touring style road driving.
    Never heard of KBS shocks, did you mean KYB? Darting around on the road sounds like caster rod bushing problems or possibly UCA dogbone bushing wear, how are these on your car?
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by sacarriker View Post
    Yes, KYB. I have checked and all the bushings and rods are good. We were able able to do a little work with the alignment to correct most of it. I guess I am just looking for a really solid handling like a modern car. I thought I had a problem in the steering linkage but its all good.

My car darts pretty bad too. All my bushing are good. Maybe back to the alignment shop. I like total control racks. Been thinking of doing it. Pricey but if it works it would totally be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by elimin8r View Post
    My car darts pretty bad too. All my bushing are good. Maybe back to the alignment shop. I like total control racks. Been thinking of doing it. Pricey but if it works it would totally be worth it.
    I have a TPC rack in my 67. It definitely works!

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Instagram @projectgattago

Thread Information