Mercury Cougar Owners banner

New 1157 "Plasma" LED Taillight Bulbs: Friggin' Bright!

49K views 109 replies 29 participants last post by  andrewb70 
#1 ·
I know there's been a fair amount of discussion on this forum about the pros and cons of switching to LED taillight bulbs. This is a concept that many of us in the Cougar crowd have been intrigued by for a while, but no product has really been good enough to justify a change... until now. Check out these "Plasma" LED bulbs that are a direct, plug-and-play replacement for your incandescent taillight bulbs.

Here's a scientific test I did using identical exposure settings to show the difference in brightness:

Since our taillights are one of the most eye-catching, defining features on our cars, it stands to reason that we like the idea of them being bright. Well, these new bulbs are BRIGHT. We have to give thanks to a customer of ours who hooked us up with the source of these bulbs, in China of course. Because of that, we're able to sell these cheaper than the older tower-style LED bulbs that I dismissed in my little video test I did earlier this year.

We did a new video test this week at Brian A.'s place (thanks again Brian!) with a lineup of three first-gen Cougars. Check it out:

So that pretty much sums it up. They're bright! We're selling a six-back of bulbs here.

They are plug-and-play for 1967-68, but for 69-73 you'll need to change over to the solid state flasher unit, as well as [probably] the solid state sequential unit. We're still gathering information on what's needed. Feel free to chime in, those of you who are electrically inclined.

See less See more
1 4
#2 ·
WOW - do you think it's too bright? There is technically a DOT scale of allowed brightness for safety reasons....but they will draw less current than your standard bulbs - so yeah, I can see why a change in the flasher control would be necessary to compensate for less draw. I think the solid state units have a trim pot you can tweak.......

You shouldn't have to worry about one burning out at least......plus they won't heat up as much. Nice pics andrew
!

#3 ·
WHen will they be back in stock? I want...

#4 ·
They draw about half of the incandescent bulbs and to be honest when the brake lights go on they almost look too bright! If you stand 4 feet away in the dark and focus on them while the brakes lights are on for 30 seconds and then look away you see spots... Highly doubt you would ever get pulled over for it as shockingly bright lights seem to be the norm these days. I do like the fact that it wakes the person up following you when the brake lights go on! I would like to get them tested so we could rate them properly.

#6 ·
We installed them in my 71 yesterday and then I drove home from Salem to Gresham, about 50 miles both on two lane country and interstate roads. I still had the original turn signal sequential box with relays in the trunk with the 71 flasher can under the dash. When changing to the LED light you have to change to the new solid state box in the trunk and to the solid state flasher. We did not have the flasher in stock but I did install the sequential box and the lights. WOW they are bright!! I was not tailgated on the way home at all. While going down a two lane country road with no traffic around me I can easily read the road signs behind me for the oncoming traffic. When I stepped on the brake I could see the reflection for a good 75-100 yards and if it was a large sign I could see them for a long long way! I don,t know if it was me cause I was looking and paying more attention but it seemed that when I applied the brake there was an immediate and drastic response behind me. Without the solid state flasher the lights will not sequence but the inner and corner marker light will flash so I chose to drive home knowing I had some kind of turn indicator. You will definitely see brake lights on the vehicle behind you!! I agree with Don in that they are almost too bright but it was worth it knowing the people behind me really knew when I applied the brakes!

#9 ·
Yes, in fact they might perform a little better with the solid state box.

Would you also need to also change out the emergency flasher can?
I'm guessing not, but it wouldn't hurt. That's another question for Richard or some of the other electrical gurus around here.

#8 ·
1st all I can say is that i'm jealous that Brian has a garage he can park 3 cats next to each other and still have room to spare :loll: Man those lamps are bright! Thanks to Richard for making a test run for the phat cats, would you also need to also change out the emergency flasher can? :smoke:

#10 ·
Ahhh. Taillights that potentially match the output of my relay-activated H1/H4 quartz halogen headlights......

#12 ·
I'll make a mental note to get some daylight pictures. For what it's worth, the stacked comparison video clip (at about 2:25 in the video) was done with all the shop lights on. Not the same as daylight, but a significant amount of ambient light anyway.

#13 ·
I didn't change the emergency flasher can and I checked and the flashers are sequencing as they should. As for daylight use, they are extremely bright in the daylight also. Moved my cat out to the street and from 50 to 200 feet they are bright and stand out. They are much cleaner looking, it seems to me the 1157 bulbs always seemed to sort of blend together as they sequenced but the LED lights are crisp and really more individual looking. Maybe cause they're brighter. I really do like these lights!

#14 ·
I suppose you could put a little in-line resistor to reduce the brightness if its to mch....but yeah making somebody back off is always good!

#15 ·
So, I can use the LED bulbs if I plug this little jewel into my 69 XR 7?

#16 · (Edited)
That gem doesn't shine very well, LOL. What is it? A 67/68 sequencer?

My hunch is that these LED's will work with a stock box (69 or 70 with the added relays) and only a solid state flasher. Notice Andrew said "[probably]" with regard to needing a solid state box. I'm going with "[probably not]" but like I said, that is just a hunch...

#17 · (Edited)
Yup. 67-68 sequencer, found recently in a high desert pick-yer-part yard. Thought it would be fun to post.

Lights would be a go, but the added expense of upgrading the electronics gives me pause. Package deal, Don?

#18 ·
^^^ Now your talkin'! ;>P Let's see how it works with just the S.S. flasher for giggles? maybe it will be just fine....?

#19 ·
Don, Andrew,

Anyone thought about possible implications of "too bright" taillights? Just wondering if this could be a legal issue (like halogen headlights once were in some places, NJ for one).

Also, did you guys try white versions of these? Just wondering as they come white too (more common from what I can see).

#20 ·
Also, did you guys try white versions of these? Just wondering as they come white too (more common from what I can see).
No, and I see no reason to... White would probably be even brighter (which isn't needed, as you can tell) and would probably look pink when shining through the red plastic lenses. The red lights are a no-brainer, IMO.

Now, a white 1142 / 1156 version for reverse lights, on the other hand... that would be interesting. And the front marker lights in amber too, while we're at it... hmm

#21 · (Edited)
Aesthetically speaking I feel they are a little too bright. From the safety side I am 100% for them! As the years go on, intense LED brake lights seem to be becoming the norm which means our systems register less in the subconscious of drivers following us (especially 69 and 70 built prior to Jan 1 1970). When you are driving around (day or night) with these LED's and you start to get that uneasy feeling that the guy behind you is following a little too close, tap the pedal and you see an INSTANT RESPONSE in your rear-view mirror. I wish I had saved to a file all the pictures that have been emailed to WCCC over the years of Cougars that have been rear ended. I have a feeling (no way to prove) that these lights in time, will cost my company many thousands of dollars in revenue from the decline in sales of rear bumpers, taillight panels and the like. And yes, I view that as a good thing... I watched personally as the health of my sister has deteriorated over the years from a low speed, rear impact crash she was involved in 1992. A 10 MPH hit from behind can change your life forever.

#22 ·
Don, see my post #12 over at 4 Eyed Pride at the following link. I did some research and found some NHTSA documents regarding enhanced lighting and diverting distracted driver's attention back to the car in front of them. I haven't had the time to read through all of these documents yet, but thought it would be interesting for all to read.
Just skimming through the documents, it looks like brighter LED tail lights (even if annoying to the driver behind) would definitely reduce the risk of a rear end collision. Besides, there is always the option of installing an inline resistor to reduce the output.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?165286-New-1157-quot-Plasma-quot-LED-brake-tail-lights

#23 · (Edited)
NHTSA pdf documents: DOT HS 811 127 and DOT HS 811 329.

"Rated discomfort glare is closely related to rated attention-getting. It appears that it is necessary to accept somewhat greater rated discomfort glare to achieve greater attention getting. Here again, the result is the same as for earlier tests with incandescent lamps, which showed a near-identical ordering for discomfort glare and attention-getting for various enhanced rear lighting systems. "

Very much agree. Any classic my three teen drivers borrow of mine will have a set of these installed, period. In my small town nobody gets a ticket unless they are doing something blatantly stupid or they give "attitude" when pulled over so getting a ticket does not worry me in the least. Thanks for looking that up!

#24 ·
Sounds fair. I would like to see results for 69/70 conclusively determining if the sequential box must be changed or not. Otherwise like yelo says "it gives me pause", mainly for cost reasons (safety enhancement notwithstanding).

#25 ·
I hope to install my set this Sunday. I have not ordered the other parts recomended. Ginger has the late 70 style controler with the relays on it. I have a earlier one but do not know if it works.

#28 · (Edited)
I think you will need the solid state flasher in order to get the lights to sequence properly Neil, because of the LED's drawing less current. I am hoping (like you) that the OEM sequencer will work fine.

P.S. I have tried both the 69 and 70 (w/relays) style sequencer on Isabel and they both worked (with 1157's).

#26 ·
Don,

Can you get the same type of amber "Plasma" bulb for the front turn signals? 1156? I think these would be bright enough to double as daytime running lights (similar to GM running lights on C6 Corvettes) so I don't have to drive around with my headlight doors open during the day. I always drive with my headlights on day or night in any vehicle that I drive.

#27 ·
The amber incandescent bulbs would still be an 1157 with a coating applied to the bulb and labeled as 1157A. An 1156 is a single filament bulb.

#30 ·
This is my plan, as Ginger will not be out on the road for a few months. I am going to try the LEDs as she is and document what happens, Then change to a solid state controller(factory one) and document what happens. Then try a standard duty flasher and see what happens. If all is unsatisfactory I'll be ordering more parts. After all Don, I am installing a lot of bright Bling on the back end this winter. As well as still plan a new engine and transmission in her this winter.

#32 ·
The 69 sequencer in the trunk directs current different than the 70-73. In 70 the side markers were integrated into the turn sequencing lights. 69 did not. The marker lights on the side receive current from the light switch and the turn signal switch. The way they ground is to back feed to the front bulbs to ground. I don't believe at this point the two can be interchanged. I installed the led's in my 71 and when the lights were first installed the car (the old system was complete and functioned well), the led lights would not come on with the headlight switch turned on. One of the relays on the sequencer had a low buzzing to it. Turn signal only lit the inboard and marker light. I replaced the black box in the trunk (with the relays) with the new solid state unit and turned on the lights and bang they all came on. With only turn signals on they sequenced really fast, with the marker lights on they stopped sequencing and only the inboard and marker light came on. I think this is because the flasher can under the dash is affected by the current draw. and with the turn signal switch feed the system the other way low current plays tricks on the flasher system. I am waiting to replace the flasher can with the solid state unit as soon as they come in. I think once we get the little bugs worked out these are going to be the best thing going. In fact I liked them so much I installed a set in my 88 Aerostar and the brake lights are so much better, no where near as bright as 6 of them but a lot better than the weak faded housings of a 26 year old van.

#33 ·
I have been using a sequencer from a 71-72 in my 69 XR 7 for over 25 years. Someone told me they worked more reliably than the original 69 sequencer. The lights flash normally and there have been no issues.

#34 ·
Hallo,

I was very curious about these LED bulbs and so I got some with my last order from WCCC.
I have a 1970 Cougar with the solid state flasher relays and an solid state sequencer box.

First: The lights are really really bright! I have freshly painted reflectors in my taillights and polisehd lenses and they already were one of the brightest rear lights I have seen on a Cougar but now they are a lot brighter than before.

But: The sequencing does not work properly. With LEDs I only get the first LED to flash, the others dont flash. When I replace the outer one with a normal bulb they flash all.
Funny fact: the emergency flasher sequences all LEDs without a problem (propably because I left the normal bulbs on the other taillight, only one side with LEDs)

My question:
Do you have any ideas on how to get all the LEDs to flash properly? I really like the brightness but without sequencing it is only half the fun!

Greetings from Bavaria!

Timon

#35 ·
The manufacturer of the sequential unit also makes an adapter for LED lights but these draw more current than previous led bulbs so he is working on a solution. He (Victor Yarberry) has a set of these bulbs (as of today) and will be working on it this week and next. As soon as we have all the info we will update the site as to the best way to use them on all years. If you leave the first inner bulb on each side incandescent I think that creates enough draw to trigger the sequencing, that is just a temporary fix though.

#37 ·
Don please reply asap on 69 stock seq unit, will just the solid state flasher be enough, would love to order the LED but cannot afford a new ss box at this time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.