1967 Cougar build - Page 61
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61

Thread: 1967 Cougar build

Re: 1967 Cougar build

I recently completed a 1000 mile road trip in the Cougar and I noticed that the steering was particularly numb on center. While driving down the highway I found myself having to constantly steer it in order to keep it going straight. I attributed this mostly to the windy conditions that I encountered at various points on the trip, but I didn't give it much more thought.

After getting home, I noticed that there was a little squeaking noise from the front end when I made slow right hand turns. I suspected that maybe the preload on the front bearings has loosened up, so I jacked it up to investigate. Rocking the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position really didn't show any unusual looseness in the bearings, however, I did find significant slop when I rocked the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions:

Although all of my front end components are "new" they do have about 15K miles on them since installation. After seeing the slop in the rack, I called TCP and was surprised and pleased to get a live tech guy on the line. His name was Mike and he was very helpful. He told me that due to the straight cut gears of the rack and pinion gears, periodic inspection and adjustment is necessary to minimize the backlash. He outlined the procedure and I went outside and did it. I also noticed that the passenger side inner tie rod was a little loose where it was bolted to the rack, and I was able to address that.

Needles to say, the steering feels much better. The return to center is much improved and the on center feel is also much better (no duh...considering how much slop was there)! I plan to have the car up on a rack in the near future to inspect all of the steering and the suspension components and fix anything I find.

Take away: don't assume everything is tight and working properly just because all of the components are "new."

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Instagram @projectgattago

Going to rock a slightly different look and feel for a bit. It is definitely a different driving experience with proper front tires.

The tires are Dunlop Direzza (who comes up with these names!?) DZ102s sized 225/55-16 all the way around, mounted on 16x7 1997ish Crown Vic wheels. The fitment is very good. In retrospect, I probably could have gone with 245/50s all the way around, but I was afraid of fitment issues in the front.

Some lowering in the front and rear is probably in order.

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Looks good. I think those wheels are a better look with your car. Agreed a slight drop would finish the job
    69 Cougar
    Schwartz G-Machine Chassis
    Coyote Boss 5.0
    T-56 Magnum 6-Speed

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Great information and really good work done by Mr. Phil

I like the look! Maybe the tires could be a bit lower / wider. That would lower the car and give a bit more room in the wheelwells.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    Going to rock a slightly different look and feel for a bit. It is definitely a different driving experience with proper front tires.

The tires are Dunlop Direzza (who comes up with these names!?) DZ102s sized 225/55-16 all the way around, mounted on 16x7 1997ish Crown Vic wheels. The fitment is very good. In retrospect, I probably could have gone with 245/50s all the way around, but I was afraid of fitment issues in the front.

Some lowering in the front and rear is probably in order.

Andrew
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

The front can come down, but it looks pretty tough with those 225s. I wish I had gone with 245/50s in the rear, but they were not available in this tire anyway. Maybe next set? The shorter tire height is also impacting cruise engine speed. Seventy five MPH is up to about 2500rpm, which is a few hundred more than before.

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

kinda has a mad max feel to it. I dig it!

great work

It has been a while since I have made any updates to this thread, but that is mostly because there was nothing much to report, until now.

I had plans to visit family in the Chicagoland area, and I thought it would be great to make the road trip (750 miles each way) in the Cougar. The first thing was to put together an emergency kit for the road. This consisted of a can of FixAflat, Pladoe, balloons, canned air, and apparently a new cam shaft...just in case...LOL

The cam was obviously not for emergency use. My plan was to stay with my friend, who has a fully equipped garage to do a cam swap. I wanted something a little more mild and something that would be boost friendly, in case I want to do a turbo down the road. For this I chose the Summit Racing Stage 1 turbo cam, aka "Ghost" cam.

I was working under a pretty tight schedule. The cam needed to be installed and everything buttoned up by 4:00pm on Saturday, because I was meeting family for dinner. My buddy Matt came over to lend a hand and we started on it at 7:00am.

The new cam was installed along with the 7.425" pushrods that were recommended to be used with this cam by Summit. We double checked lifter preload and it came to .060", which is about right.

Cam cover back on and the balancer torqued to 235lb/ft per ARPs instructions.

Once the radiator was back in, and all hoses reconnected, we fired it up, checked for leaks, brought it up to temp, topped off coolant, and time for a test drive and retune.

This is where the Holley Dominator EFI is so handy. The fuel table started adjusting immediately as I drove. Within a few miles of stop and go traffic, it got noticeably better. I transferred the learn table to the base table, rinse and repeat. By the time I was heading to dinner with my family, she was purring like a kitten....ahem...

Sunday was my daughters HS graduation party. I stopped at a Starbucks on the way, and met up with these guys. Cool dudes...we chatted a bit and went on our ways.

Monday morning I had breakfast with a longtime friend and hit the road, back south. Other than being hot af, the car ran great. I also noted that I picked up 2-3mpg. I stopped in Bowling Green, KY on the way back.

And enjoyed a nice dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Almost as if I was in Mexico...LOL

Until next time...

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Idle video of the new cam:

https://www.instagram.com/projectgattago/

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content