1967 Cougar build

Thread: 1967 Cougar build

\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \n
\r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
\n\r\n \nandrewb70 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n

\r\n Re: 1967 Cougar build\r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n The sun was setting so I decided to see if I can get some decent beauty shots.
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\n
\nOverall, I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. I should have done it a while ago.
\n
\n
\nAndrew\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
Hidden Content
\r\nHidden Content
\r\nInstagram @projectgattago
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n\n\n'; pd[993025] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nandrewb70 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Despite the fact that I am trying to sell the car, I can\'t help but tinker with it.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe other day I was doing some unrelated things (I had some trouble with the DBW going into limp mode) and I accidentally spilled a little alcohol on the hood. I noticed that the alcohol soaked into the hood and made it a lot darker, which I liked. This lead to some further experimenting. I did a portion of the hood and I rather liked the results:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nVarious people have also suggested trying penetrol, so I did a portion of the roof, and I liked what it did for the paint as well.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nWhat prompted all of this is that before it got too cold, I wanted to do something about the roof, trunk, and other horizontal surfaces. The sun has really done a number on those areas. You can see how badly the paint is flaking on the roof:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe trunk wasn\'t much better. You can also see how the clear coat is just coming off on the top of the rear quarter.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nSo I grabbed a palm sander with some 80 grit and went to town. What a mess!
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI sanded the roof, trunk, hood, tops of the fenders, and basically all other areas where the clear was checkered and coming off. This was after I rinsed the car. The hood was still wet, but you can see the roof, rear quarter, and tops of the doors have been sanded. All of the light areas is where I used the sander.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThen I started to coat the whole car with penetrol. I used a green scotch brite pad to apply it.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nHere is the whole car after everything was coated with penetrol.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993073] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n 1969XR7Vert\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n 1969XR7Vert\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \n1969XR7Vert is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Administrator\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Well, yeah, Andrew, guess it is nice, if you like that sort of thing... \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:
    \n
    \nHidden Content
    \n
    \nHidden Content
    \n
    \nCanted-' + '-Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don\'t like me.....or the horse I rode in on"
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993085] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #4\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Today I finally got started on the electronic steering project. I\'ve also been meaning to address another problem. All you Ford guys know how the stock pedal pivot points are made. Ford decided that it was a good idea to use some sort of pot metal bushing that was swedged into the pedal box. High mileage cars really suffer the most, but even my low mileage car had really wobbly pedals. The clutch pedal takes the majority of the load and it also holds the main support shaft for the brake pedal.
    \n
    \n
    \nMustang Steve has been a round a long time and I had one of his kits for fixing this problem. He sells a nice set of parts that allow you to replace the stock bushings with roller bearings. So while I was waiting for a few more parts to arrive for the electronic steering, I figured I would go ahead and fix the wobbly pedals. Since I already pulled the steering column, it wasn\'t but a few more bolts and the pedal box was taken out.
    \n
    \n
    \nHere is the pedal box with the pot metal bushings reamed out. I used a step drill then an angle grinder.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThen is was time for a little welding. My wife is out of town for a few days, so naturally, what better place to weld than in the kitchen. That door leads to the one car garage, which is holding my GTO, without any spare room. The welder is parked just on the other side of the wall right next to a power outlet. Perfect...
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe kit from Mustang Steve includes these little bearing sleeves that have to be welded to the pedal box. Don\'t judge me...it has been a long time since I have fused metal together.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe bearings support the shaft for the clutch and the brake pedals.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nHere is the whole thing put together and assembled for good.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n#batchelorlife
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Last edited by andrewb70; November 6th, 2018 at 07:54 PM.\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993089] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #5\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n It was raining sideways this morning, but by the early afternoon it had stopped, so I decided to make a little more progress.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe first thing I did was fix the attaching points of the lower column support. From the factory the column support is held in place with sheet metal screws that go into the firewall. I figured I can improve on that a little. I got an inexpensive rivnut kit on Amazon, drilled out the holes and installed 1/4" rivnuts into the firewall. Sorry for the weird picture, but I forgot to take a picture this afternoon so I took one with a flash light.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe UPS guy showed up and brought me the lower steering shaft bearings. I ordered two kinds. I really liked the one on the left, but it turned out to be disappointing. As it turns out it isn\'t a bearing at all, but just a swiveling bushing. The bearing on the right will do nicely. The bore fits on my steering shaft much better and there are two set screws in the retaining collar. The three hole bearing will go back to Speedway.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI then made a paper template of the column support, transferred it to some 16 gauge steel, and punched 4 holes in the appropriate locations. I made the holes a little bigger so there is a little bit of give and take when the column gets installed.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI am going to wait until the column is done to mount the bearing, but it will go something like this.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nAs I mentioned before, I am going to use a 1.5" ID steel collar to attach the upper column tube to the Toyota motor.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe OD of the collar is exactly the same as the OD of column tube. I figured it was going to be a challenge butt welding that collar to the end of the tube. Now, if I only had a little lathe!!!
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI used my angle grinder with the thin wizwheelofdeath and "machined" a step in the collar. The tolerances for this sort of thing don\'t exactly have to be to the .00001". Turned out pretty nice!
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThere is a little bit of a tapper in the step, but it fits really nicely inside the column tube. I figured this will be much easier to weld, since I won\'t have to worry about blowing through the thin wall of the column tube. A couple of taps with the hammer and that sleeve will fit perfectly inside the column tube.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nTomorrow I should make some more progress. The second column will be here, hopefully around 11:00am. The weather should be good too, with only a 30% chance of rain.
    \n
    \n
    \nTo do list:
    \n
    \n
    \n1. Measure and cut the upper column tube.
    \n2. Weld collar to tube.
    \n3. Figure out what to do for the upper steering shaft.
    \n4. Decide if I am going to add an extra mounting tab for the motor on the pedal box.
    \n
    \n
    \nThat should keep me plenty busy tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993097] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #6\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n 1969XR7Vert\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n 1969XR7Vert\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \n1969XR7Vert is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Administrator\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Nice work Andrew. I went with a Scott Drake roller bearing setup for the pedal hangar on Isabel, you just remove the pot metal bushings and the new parts go in place and are held in the hangar with external snap rings. The only rub is if you have the "wrong" type of hangar with different OD pot metal bushings. If you do and remove them, the kit will not work (ask me how I know!). The MS kit would work well in that case (but is a lot more work!). In any case, thanks, as always for sharing your adventures and projects with us!
    \n
    \nRegards,
    \n
    \nRobert\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:
    \n
    \nHidden Content
    \n
    \nHidden Content
    \n
    \nCanted-' + '-Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don\'t like me.....or the horse I rode in on"
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993099] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #7\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by 1969XR7Vert\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    .... In any case, thanks, as always for sharing your adventures and projects with us!
    \n
    \nRegards,
    \n
    \nRobert
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \nThanks Robert. I may have said this before, but my goal is to have a top 5 viewed thread on this forum. I may already be there...:-)
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993101] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #8\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Made some really good progress today. The UPS truck showed up right on time, but then my buddy Jack asked me if I wanted to get an early lunch. Needless to say, I didn\'t get started until about 1:00PM. I keep forgetting that it will get dark around 5:00PM!
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nI mentioned before that the 1.5" bore collars have the same OD as the steering tube. So I attached a couple of them to the Prius motor assembly and mocked things up in the car. The motor ends up being clocked at about the 2:30 position. I wish I could move it up some more, but the wiper motor is right there. I thought about using some sort of smaller motor for the wipers, but given the time frame of this project, I will have to leave that for another day.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nIt looks like it will be in the way when viewed from a low angle, but in reality, when sitting behind the wheel, the motor is barely noticeable. It also doesn\'t get in the way of the feet. Oh, BTW, the new bearing pedals feel amazing!!! Super smooth and just solid.
    \r\n
    \r\nAlso, the steering ECU is going to live up against the firewall, over in the corner where the dimmer switch lives. You can sort of see the spot in the picture above.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nWith the Prius motor mounted, I was able to take some measurements. I had to take into account the collar that I machined yesterday, etc...etc...I expanded the slot a little so the set screw would slide in.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nHere is the cut upper tube.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nI needed it to be 14.5" total, with the turn signal portion of the column attached.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nThen came the scary part. I knew that when I cut the column tube, it wasn\'t going to be perfectly square. I also knew that the collar "machine" job wasn\'t perfect either. With that said, I had to make sure that the collar was square to the tube. I actually messed up the first time. This was my second attempt and I think I got it good enough for what this is.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nRotatesd 90 degrees.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nWith the tube tacked to the collar, it was time to mock it up in the car, one more time. The length was perfect and the stock upper column support fits perfectly with the anti-rotation tab fitting in its slot.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nContinued...\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993103] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #9\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Then came the paralysis by analysis. As I mentioned earlier, my plan was to make a shaft on the output side of the motor and pass it through a bearing that was to be mounted to a plate (I made this plate yesterday!) in the location where the stock lower column support attaches. As I was looking at the mounted motor and feeling how much it rocked up and down, I just wasn\'t comfortable with my original plan. I know people have done exactly that and the steering shaft will of course help to stabilize the upper column, but I just didn\'t feel comfortable with it.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe output shaft has a lot of torque on it already and then stressing it in other directions to stabilize the whole column seems like a big ask for a 3/4" shaft. I decided that I was going to build a lower tube. Having a lower tube that attaches to the motor will put the loads of holding the column rigid on the tubes, and allowing the shaft to take only the forces of steering the car.
    \n
    \n
    \nI was at Tractor Supply yesterday, buying some hardware. However, I looked all around the store just to see what they have. I remembered seeing some bearing flanges so I went back today with some measurements in hand. I ended up buying these (came in a pack of two). The size was right and they are stamped out of 14 gauge material. Plenty sturdy for this project.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nWhat I needed to do next was to get them concentric with the output shaft. I ended up using the bearing from the firewall mount and wrapping it in making tape to make up for the diameter difference. The ID of the bearing fit the output shaft of the steering motor perfectly and I kept it in place with a couple of set screws that are on the bearing collar.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nIf I was This Old Tony (from YouTube), I would have machined a perfect alignment tool for the job, but I am working in my kitchen FFS...
    \n
    \n
    \nI then took the lower bearing from my old column. This part is obviously not stock but came from TCP as part of their rack and pinion kit. At this point, the lower tube is not cut to length.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nYou can also see that I have the steering shaft installed and it is attached to the coupler that matches the splines of the Toyota motor and transitions to 3/4" smooth bore. I then pushed the steering shaft and the tube up against the flange. The flange has a smooth tapper and the tube has the factory square cut. This forced the tube to be concentric and square.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThen I fired up the welder and made some tacks around the circumference of the tube. Yes, I forgot to grind the zinc platting off the flange. Yes, there were fumes...pray for me....please...
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nAfter tacking the tube to the flange, I mode holes in the flange for attaching hardware and installed the whole thing, passing the lower tube through the lower column support and into the engine bay. I don\'t have pictures of this because it was almost dark out. With the column installed, I mocked up the intermediate shaft from the rack, and laid out the right length for the lower column tube. Here is the final lower tube, cut to length.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThere will be a total of 3 bolts that hold the lower tube to the motor assembly. That is all the holes that are driller and tapped in the motor casting. There is another hole that is marked, but not fully drilled or tapped. I thought about drilling and tapping this location, but I figured the 3 bolts are plenty, even though they are not symmetrically located.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nAnd here we have it; the whole column, sans the upper portion. The upper shaft is the stock Toyota shaft. This needs to be cut and mated to the Cougar upper shaft.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nTomorrows task are:
    \n
    \n
    \n1. Finalize the lower shaft.
    \n2. Complete the upper shaft
    \n3. Quick strip and paint the upper column in parchment color and lower column in black.
    \n4. Install column for good.
    \n5. Wiring and testing!
    \n
    \n
    \nIf you like what you\'re reading, please subscribe to my YouTube channel. I will have videos of all this uploaded next week.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993113] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #10\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n badcatt\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n badcatt\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nbadcatt is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Contributing Member\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \n
    Blog Entries
    \n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Looking good Andrew.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \nSee ya on the hiways, Neal
    \n1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    \n1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    \n1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    \n1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    \n2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    \n2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    \nIf it ain\'t broken, Modify it!
    \nHidden Content Hidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993123] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #11\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Today was a miserable looking day. It was raining all morning and I wasn\'t able to get as much done as I wanted, but I made solid progress.
    \n
    \n

\nThe gentleman that first documented the Toyota Prius installation had a couple of suggestions as to how to make the upper shaft. Here is what he did on his Falcon:
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nI didn\'t see anything wrong with how he did it, but there is one problem, I don\'t have a lathe. Even if I did, instead of turning down the Falcon shaft, I would have bored out the Toyota stub to .750" to accept the Falcon shaft. Anyway, doesn\'t matter, no lathe.
    \n
    \n

\nKeep in mind, the Toyota stub has internal splines on the left side of the shaft. I made my first cut where he suggested, and as he noted a stock .750" shaft doesn\'t fit. However, notice that the Toyota stub has a little bulge, so if a cut can be made a little further to the right of where he made his cut, the ID gets bigger. So I took my wizwheelofdeath and cut off about 1/8" off the Toyota stub.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nI was getting close now. Making that second cut got me really close to .750", so from here on out, I snuck up on it with a file. I wanted the Cougar shaft to fit snugly into the Toyota stub.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nI cut the Cougar shaft a little long, so I can trim it exactly to the right length later. Here you can see the Cougar shaft fitting snugly into the Toyota stub.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nYou can also see by the silver mark, how far the Cougar shaft slides into the Toyota stub. This is important, because the Cougar shaft bottoms out on a taper that is inside the Toyota stub.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nBy having a tight fit at the opening of the stub and then having the shaft bottom out into a snug taper, assures that the two shafts are concentric to each other. This is obviously important, because we want as straight of a shaft as possible.
    \n
    \n

\nThe final length of the Toyota stub ended up being right at 5.100"
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nNow it was time to cut the Cougar shaft to length. Again, a lathe would be the perfect way to do it, but no lathe. I had purchased a few .750" ID collar at Tractor Supply (officially my new favorite store) and I used one of them as a guide for my whizwheelofdeath.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThis worked very well and gave a pretty square cut. The other thing that I wanted to do was stake the two shafts together. My welding is OK, but this is pretty critical hardware. So I drilled a 1/4" hole through both the Toyota stub and the Cougar shaft.
    \n
    \n

\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993129] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #12\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I then took a 1/4" grade 8 bolt and provided a mechanical pin that holds both shafts together. Then I cut the bolt and welded it in.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThen I welded the Toyota stub to the Cougar shaft.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThe lower shaft is pretty straight forward. I used a Burgeson adapter with the Toyota spline on one side and a .750" smooth bore on the other side. Here I did exactly the same thing. Drilled a hole through the adapter and the shaft, 1/4" grade 8 bolt, welded bolt, then welded shaft to adapter.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nHere is the final upper shaft. It ended up being 13 5/16" overall length. Keep in mind there is some wiggle room here because the left side of the shaft is splined. I made it as long as possible to engage those splined fully. The collar is there to keep the steering shaft from pulling out the top and it bottoms against the upper portion of the column. I really don\'t see this being an issue, because the splines on the Toyota stub fit really, really tightly on the input shaft of the motor, but I wanted a positive stop there anyway.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nWith the shaft installed and the upper tube attached you can see that the shaft length is perfect. You can see the groove for a circlip just above the stock upper bearing.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThis is the lower shaft installed on the output side of the Toyota motor.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nI ground flats on the end of the lower shaft (this was harder than it seemed) to mate with the u-joints for the intermediate shaft.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nAnd here it is, fully assembled and ready for a coat of paint tomorrow.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThe weather is supposed to be sunny tomorrow, so I am going to throw this thing in the car ASAP, get it temporarily wired up, and see if it actually works.
    \n
    \n

\nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993131] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #13\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n This morning it was in the mid 30s, but I managed to get outside and get some work done. My wife was on her way home, so the clock was ticking!
    \n
    \n

\nThe big news is that IT WORKS! I hooked up the temporary wiring, turned on the key and I was rewarded with one hand steering. Now for some details, mostly in words, but a few pictures.
    \n
    \n

\nIf you\'ve been following this build, you might remember that I had some electrical problems when moving to Alabama. The issue was ultimately traced to a really crapy inline fuse holder. At that time I fixed the problem by installing a Delphi power distribution center under the hood. These are fairly common parts in 90s GM vehicles, and all of the miscellaneous parts can still be sourced from Mouser, and other vendors. Here is what it looks like.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nOn the bottom you can see the 4 gauge wire attaching to the central bus bar and power is fed to the fuses on the right. The fuses on the left are "duds" are are meant strictly as spares. The top fuse is what feeds a big relay under my dash that powers the Holley dash and a few other components. When I installed these parts, I knew that I was eventually going to do the EPS swap, so I ran extra wires from under the hood to under the dash. Position number two on the right is what powers the EPS. I also "stole" one of the other wires and used it as a ground, which I attached to the front of the cylinder head.
    \n
    \n

\nThat took care of the power feeds, but the Toyota ECU also requires a "turn on" 12+ signal wire. Here is the schematic for the necessary connections:
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nTo make everything work seamlessly, I decided that I was going to integrate the "turn on" circuit through the Holley Dominator ECU. I created a 12+ output and programmed it to turn at temperature above -30 degrees. This assures that the output is triggered during any realistic conditions. In other words, as soon as the ECU boots up (this takes about 5 seconds) the EPS is on.
    \n
    \n

\nI also added a wire from the Dominator to the Toyota ECU for a speed signal. As of right now, this feature will not be enabled but I will post more on this later. For now, the EPS will operate in "failsafe mode" and give a constant level of assist.
    \n
    \n

\nThen it was time to make everything pretty. I know this sounds weird given the patina look of my Cougar, but I couldn\'t put the raw metal column back in the car. Scott Drake makes a rattle can paint to match the Ford \'parchment" color, which is what my Cougar is. I painted the upper portion of the column in that color and the lower portion was painted black. For now I left the motor assembly "natural" but I may end up painting all of it black as well.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThe last bit of details is the wiring for the turn signals. On Mustangs these wires are external to the column and have a little snap in cover. On Cougars, the wires are internal to the column and exit under the dash. Since I now have a lot of things occupying the space inside the upper tube the wires have to be external of the column tube. To make the 10 wires more presentable, I loomed them in an expanding covering.
    \n
    \n

\n
    \n
    \n

\nThat\'s about it for today. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to stay nice, so I will assemble everything and take it down the road for the first time with power steering.
    \n
    \n

\nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993135] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #14\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n The painting turned out pretty well. I let everything dry overnight inside the house and it was ready to go in the morning.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI decided that for now I was going to leave off the little cone shaped part of the upper column. Here you can see how the turn signal switch wiring is routed.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nA while back I converted the column wiring connector to a Metripack GT280 connector.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThis is the stock Ford connector.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nHere she is, painted and ready to be installed for good. You can also see the intermediate shaft in this picture.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe ECU had all sorts of weirdly shaped bracket on it that I whizwheelofdeath off. It fits nicely just above the dimmer switch and the wiring comes in from the top.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI am glad I got rid of those sheet metal screws for the lower column support clamp.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nA while back a friend of mine gave me this stuff. He swears by it.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI have not had a chance to use it yet, but I figured this was an appropriate occasion. This stuff is white and doesn\'t get EVERYWHERE like the silver stuff.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nMounted my Holley dash and almost ready for the first drive.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nDriving impressions to come in a bit...
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993139] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #15\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Driving impressions.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe short answer is that as of right now, it is a mixed bag.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe good:
    \n
    \n
    \nI can now easily steer the car with one hand, where this was absolutely impossible before. Driving through a parking lot is absolutely effortless. Parking is a simple one handed maneuver, etc...
    \n
    \n
    \nThe bad:
    \n
    \n
    \nWith the fixed level of assist, it is overly boosted at any sort of speed above 30mph. The return to center is pretty bad. Before the EPS the steering wheel would snap to center, almost violently. I literally used to hang on to the wheel so it wouldn\'t return to center too quickly. Now, I have to sort of steer it back to straight.
    \n
    \n
    \nAt highway speed the on center feel is just mush. Before, small movements of the steering wheel were met with quite a bit of resistance as the wheels wanted to go straight. Now, small movements of the steering wheel are met with almost zero resistance and it doesn\'t want to snap straight again. So I found myself constantly having to steer to keep the car moving straight. This is annoying.
    \n
    \n
    \nI am hoping that once I implement the speed input from the Dominator that all the bad stuff improves.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993149] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #16\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I won\'t bore everyone with the details, but I have it working now so the level of assist varies based on speed. With the limited driving that I did today (it was raining very hard) it seems a lot better! Once I get more miles on it, I will post more driving impressions.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993167] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #17\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Alright. Awesome news. I wanted to temporarily try the PWM+ trigger to turn on the steering ECU. I am able to configure the output on the Dominator all in software. So I simply reprogrammed the original speedometer output and created the PWM+ output and assigned it to the same pin as the speedometer output (the speedometer output had to be virtually unpinned from that location). Anyway...
    \n
    \nI set the frequency to 1000Hz and a duty cycle of 50%, so half the pulse is on and half the pulse is off, very much like a speedometer signal. Turned the ignition off, turned the ignition back on, and immediately had power assist. The diodes will be here tomorrow so I will add the second wire to the steering ECU speedometer input. The result should be having immediate PS as soon as the ignition is turned on and there after, it will receive the speedometer signal and operate by changing the level of assist based on speed.
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993185] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #18\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I have been digging deeper into the ins and outs of the Toyota EPAS system. One thing that I ran across is that the Toyota systems have a "torque sensor zero point calibration" that must be performed in case of a wheel re-alignment or if the motor assembly is replaced. This is described well here (toward the bottom of the page):
    \n
    \n
    \nhttps://www.autoserviceprofessional....teering?Page=3
    \n
    \n
    \nAs far as I have seen, nobody has talked about this when installing the Toyota gear into older vehicles. This seems like a very important procedure and the fact that nobody is doing it, leads me to believe that it is partially (if not fully) to blame for the lack of centering that I (and others) are experiencing with the system.
    \n
    \n
    \nAnother thing that I found out, and this is a bit confusing, is that apparently, the Yaris ECU doesn\'t actually go into full speed assist mode unless it sees an RPM signal come across the CAN bus. This is confusing to me because I swear that my system does change the level of assist based on speed, but I have no concrete way to verify this, except for how it "feels" to drive. This has also been tested by others on the bench by connecting a square wave generator to the Yaris ECU speed input (pin 5) and reporting variability in assist level based on altering the pulsing frequency.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe information found here is invaluable (post #23):
    \nhttp://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...steering/page2
    \n
    \n
    \nI have been in email contact with the original poster (his name is Jared) of that thread. Here is a more complete pin-out for the Yaris steering ECU:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThis is a wiring diagram that Jared put together.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nJared solved the CAN signal issue by using and custom programming the CANdo Auto Module:
    \nhttp://www.cananalyser.co.uk/candoauto.html
    \n
    \n
    \nHere is an excerpt from his post on the Toyota forum:
    \n
    \n
    \n"I going to jump into technical which will make much more sense once you research the CAN system. I was able to find the hex decimal code for engine RPM is 2C4 wheel speed is either 0B0 or 0B2. Since my setup has a non ABS eps ecu has an analog wheel speed signal (input). I only needed the engine RPM on the CAN network so i will only go over how I programed the Cando for this. The Cando has 2 analog inputs that can be programed to then transmit programable CAN data. It also can have ten static data points programed and continually repeated. When you get the software open there are four tabs. "Input view", "Input setup", "CAN transmit" and "CAN setup" first off we need to go to "CAN setup" and change the setting to 500kps to match the network speed of the CAN system. Then back to the tab "CAN transmit". Now as I said earlier the hex for RPM is 2C4. The data length is 11 bit. The dlc is 8. The information I used was ramdomly picked after much trial and error. Almost 3 pages of codes I tried. I could set the RPM in connect my scan tool and see the RPM but still no assist. After much frustration I finally realised that it was a setting I had wrong. It was how often I had it repetting the message. The end result looked something like this 2C4 8 06 8A 00 19 00 00 92 09 Repeat rate 20 ms(milliseconds). All this done and turned the car on and immediate assist. I still have not been able to drive the car and see if it feels bettter. Still working on some idle issues with the engine. I could however tell the assist was greater. Last thing to work on is connecting the CAN wiring to the DLC so i can see about changing the setting for the assist level at idle."
    \n
    \n
    \nWhat makes this more frustrating for me is that the Holley Dominator does use CAN communication. This is used for communication with Racepak and the Holley digital displays. The frustrating part is that the Holley CAN protocol is proprietary, so the odds of the Yaris steering computer "understanding" the Holley data packets are nil.
    \n
    \n
    \nBefore I go down the same path as Jared, I need to have a conversation with DCE. Their Microsteer ECU is speed sensitive. The only question remains is if the Microsteer ECU is compatible with the Toyota motor. If it is compatible, then I am inclined to ditch the Toyota ECU and simplify this ordeal by spending money on the Microsteer ECU instead of buying the CANdo box. I also need to find out how DCE handles the torque sensor center point calibration, as this seems rather important for obtaining satisfactory on-center feel and return.
    \n
    \n
    \nI am open to thoughts and suggestions!!!
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993285] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #19\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving Holiday. My wife and I traveled to Wisconsin to visit her family, and we made it out just in time to miss the snow.
    \n
    \n
    \nI am learning way more than I wanted about CAN, Arduino, RasberryPies, and all manner of other electronic gizmos, than I really planned on with this electronic steering business. However, I feel like I have to make the system work as it was intended by Toyota in order to get the most out of it and to be able to diagnose it in the future should something fail.
    \n
    \n
    \nThis afternoon I popped into the local junk yard to track down an OBDII connector (or two). I quickly realized that although the connectors are universal in terms of the mating portion, various manufacturers use different connector bodies and terminals. After I realized this, I started looking for the same make of car. It just so happened that I had relatively easy access to a few Nissans and they graciously offered their connectors in the form of a OBDII bouquet.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI only need one connector, but I figured it was a good idea to have extra wires and terminals, just in case.
    \n
    \n
    \nI also managed to secure reliable help with the CANBUS emulator (that\'s what I am calling it). It seems that my buddy Blake has been making these little boxes for his own projects. I told him what the box needed to do and he said "no problem." He builds these himself and installs them in really robust enclosures that are suited for a car environment.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe heart of it is an Arduino Nano (whateverthe****thatis), and some other electronic bits. The header side uses Molex connectors that I will source from Mouser and make the appropriate harness.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI am pretty excited to get this rolling further along. Stay tuned for more soon!
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993353] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #20\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Today I received the CAN simulator from Blake and last Friday I got the necessary connectors to build the harness.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI got the two Molex connectors for the box itself along with an OBDII connector.
    \n
    \n
    \nBlake also emailed the pin-out diagram.
    \n
    \n
    \nI am still sorting out exactly how I am going to do the wiring, but I am hoping to wire things up temporarily tomorrow and see what sort of trouble I get myself into.
    \n
    \n
    \nIf the power steering comes on when the CAN simulator is turned on, then I know it is working.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe other part of this will involve hooking up an OBDII scanner and seeing what codes are being sent by the steering ECU. I am hoping that I can do that with my BlueDriver Bluetooth dongle and my cell phone. Hopefully it will also let me reset the codes.
    \n
    \n
    \nWish me luck!
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993355] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #21\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Today I was able to do some testing. I didn\'t want to wire everything up permanently only to have to chase things down later. So today I simply wanted to see if Blake\'s box works. The definition of "works" is, will the steering ECU turn on when it sees an RPM signal over CAN. I wanted to do more, but I didn\'t have enough terminals for the little connector that plugs into the steering ECU. There is a Prius at a junk yard not to far from me. I plan to take a trip and see what I can rob off it.
    \n
    \n
    \nI connected the CANHi and CANLo at the steering ECU (on the D31 connector) to the CANHi and CANLo on Blake\'s box, making sure to twist the wires. I installed the wires into the Molex connectors for power and ground, ran the ground under the dash and had the power wire ready to connect to a temporary power source.
    \n
    \n
    \nI turned the ignition ON, and as expected, there was no power assist. As soon as I applied power to Blake\'s box, almost instant assist. Blake said that his box should come online in less than a second, and that\'s about right.
    \n
    \n
    \nI then went for a drive, not really expecting any difference, but to my surprise, there was a difference. At low speed there is considerably more assist and as speed increases there is a noticeable drop in assist. So contrary to my previous proclamations, and counter to the results that some people have done with bench testing, I don\'t believe that the speed sensitive steering is active if there is no CAN signal. This makes sense, because in the Yaris FSM it clearly states that if there is a CAN communication error with the engine ECM, it defaults into "failsafe" mode (fixed assist at the middle level). The RTC was about the same, but I expect this to improve once I get the OBDII connector wired up, scan and clear any codes, and perform the torque sensor zero point calibration.
    \n
    \n
    \nProgress is being made.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993373] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #22\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Just a tiny little update. The weather has been cold and rainy, so no work is being done, but I did receive some parts. I like doing a proper wiring job and that means not doing any butt connections with the wires if it can possibly be avoided. This means spending some time looking at catalogs and data sheets for the right terminals.
    \n
    \n
    \nWith the Yaris (and Prius) steering ECUs the wiring that needs to happen is on the D31 connector. This is where the +12v power pin is located, along with the speed signal, CANHi and CANLo, etc....I have a D31 connector that I clipped from the donor car so what I needed were the actual terminals to avoid butt splicing wires and to add pins as needed. I was also looking to find the connector itself, but had no luck, but the Toyota dealership has them for $6. However, the dealership does not have and can\'t even look up the terminals. As far as I could tell the connector is made by TE Connectivity and the stock terminals had Tyco stamped on it. A little time spent in the TE Connectivity catalog resulted in a reward.
    \n
    \n
    \nI know this may seem like overkill for most people, but if I am going to all this trouble, I might as well take it 100% of the way.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nOnce I get a dry sunny day, I can wire up the rest of the wires for the OBD2 connector and see if I can read fault code using the Blue Driver OBD2 dongle and android app.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993387] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #23\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Made a video outlining the process of installing the Mustang Steve bearing pedal pivot.
    \n
    \n\n\r\n\r\n\n
    \n
    \nPlease Like and Subscribe. I am still trying to get to my goal of 1000 subscribers.
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993449] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #24\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Made another video demonstrating driving a dog-ring T56 around town.
    \n
    \n\n\r\n\r\n\n
    \n
    \nIf you find this content useful, please consider subscribing to my channel.
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993497] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #25\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n On the morning of December 28th, my wife and headed out early in the morning for a road trip to Orlando, to visit a friend for New Years. As you all know by now, the Cougar lives outside, and of course has the dual DBW throttle bodies outside of the hood. For the most part, this has not been a problem. Unfortunately, it rained all night before our trip.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe Cougar fired up without any issues in the morning and we packed it up for our trip. We got to about 10 miles from the house, when I noticed that I no longer had throttle input. When the Holley Dominator ECU detects a fault in the DBW system, it goes into "limp home" mode, which fixes the TPS at 22%. With dual throttle bodies, this makes my little 5.3L scream at over 4000RPM with the clutch released. Clearly we weren\'t going to make it 550 miles, like this.
    \n
    \n
    \nI shut it down and fired it up again and it seemed normal. I decided to press ahead and try to fix it on the road. As we drove, it went into "limp home" mode again and just as luck would have it, we stumbled on a Walmart. I pulled into the parking lot (thankfully there was no rain) and went inside. I needed something to dry out the TB connectors and then something to prevent it from happening again while we were on the road. The items I bought were:
    \n
    \n
    \n1. Can of "office duster" (compressed air)
    \n2. Bag of balloons
    \n3. Can of playdoh
    \n
    \n
    \nI pulled the front connector and it really wasn\'t that wet...hmmm...then I pulled the back connector and it was drenched inside. I used the can of compressed air to blow the connectors as dry as possible. Then I used the balloons to seal up the outside of the connectors. For good measure, I used the playdoh to seal up the parting line between the TB body and the connectors. This is what it looked like when we arrived in Orlando:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe fix got us driving again and never failed the whole time. Most of the trip looked like this through the windshield:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nIt took longer than expected, and rolled in around 8:00pm to be greeted with bourbon and steak. Life is good.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993533] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #26\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n One of the things that I have noticed since I have built the Cougar, is that the engine started to tilt a little toward the passenger side, especially in the last year. From the very start I noticed that under heavy load, the engine did torque over pretty hard. I didn\'t think this was odd, since I was using stock 4th gen Camaro engine mounts. You can see in my very first drag strip pass how the engine tilts over:
    \n
    \n
    \n\n\r\n\r\n\n
    \n
    \n
    \nSo given that the mounts were rubber and that I made my own mounts, I thought one of two things was happening.
    \n
    \n
    \n1. The mounts that I built have bent slightly.
    \n2. The rubber inserts in the stock mounts have taken a set.
    \n
    \n
    \nOnce I was at John\'s house, we put the car on the lift just to look things over. It\'s always good to do an inspection and make sure everything was OK. The last thing I expected to find was this....driver\'s side:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nPassanger side:
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nIt appears that the two halves of the mounts are just stamped together and the lips that hold the two halves together have broken.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nWe called a bunch of local parts stores, but nobody had them in stock, and I had to be back on the road on New Years day. We proceeded to drill out the holes and bolt the two halves back together using 4 3/8" bolts on each side.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nUnfortunately, the rubber inserts have deformed over time, so the engine was still tilting to the passenger side just a little, but it is much better than before.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nEventually I will either replace the mounts with stock ones, or get poly inserts (I really don\'t want to do that), or get the new Holley mounts that are reinforced and have poly inserts.
    \n
    \n
    \nAt least I know now that the mounts that I built are in good working order!
    \n
    \n
    \nI am up over 700 subscribers on my YouTube channel! I really appreciate everyone\'s support, and please consider subscribing, if you have not done so already.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993603] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #27\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n As you may recall from my previous posts, I had turned down a 1.5" ID steel collar to fit inside the bottom of the upper tube. This allowed for a method of attaching the upper tube to the Prius motor. While I think was was a decent solution, I couldn\'t help but think that having only one set screw holding the upper tube to the motor was inadequate.
    \n
    \n
    \nJohn has a little lathe, so we turned down another steel collar, so it would slip inside the upper column tube.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThis collar was positioned a few inches up from the bottom collar and was welded in place through holes that we drilled through the tube.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe last thing that we did was add two more holes to each collar, so that each collar now has a total of 3 set screws that are located 120 degrees apart.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI felt that doing all this would keep the upper tube more firmly attached and square to the Prius motor.
    \n
    \n
    \nI don\'t know that doing all this made any tangible difference in the way that the system functions, but if anyone is doing this from scratch, I think this is a good way to go.
    \n
    \n
    \nAs always, questions and comments are welcome. I also want to thank those of you that have subscribed to my YouTube channel. I really appreciate it!!!
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993817] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #28\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Not much to report in terms of progress or any other updates, however, I finally managed to track down the Yazaki part numbers for the big power connector for the steering ECU. The same connector is used on both the Prius and the Yaris steering ECUs (and probably others of the same vintage).
    \n
    \n
    \nThe connector housing body is 7283-3521-40
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe terminals are either 7116-3097-02 or 7116-3098-02 (either will probably work).
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe big challenge is sourcing the terminals in the US. The connector body can be purchased from Toyota under PN 90980-12653, however, Toyota does not sell the terminals.
    \n
    \n
    \nI was actually able to source the connector housing bodies from Japan, but what I originally thought were the correct terminals, ended up being the wrong ones.
    \n
    \n
    \nIf anyone knows a source for Yazaki parts in the US, please let me know.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[993821] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #29\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Yes, I know, at the end of the day, if you have a pigtail that came with the donor steering ECU, you can solder or use a quality butt splice, and be done with it. However, for those that want to do this in the most optimal manner, this information will be quite valuable.
    \n
    \n
    \nSo here is just another tidbit of information, just in case anyone else wants to go down this rabbit hole. I found a vendor in Japan that has the connector housing body, but again, these can probably (I have not tried ordering myself) be sourced from your local Toyota dealership. I did successfully order the connector housing from the Japanese vendor.
    \n
    \n
    \nHere is the connector body:
    \nhttps://global.rakuten.com/en/store/..._en_rvp_widget
    \n
    \n
    \nThey also list the matching terminals. Yes, they fit the connector, but as you can see from the picture, they are not designed for 8-10 gauge (5-8mm2) wire. They are designed for 3mm2 (12 gauge) wire.
    \nhttps://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-hi-1000/f375-yz-s/
    \n
    \n
    \nI suspect that the terminal above is Yazaki PN 7116-3096-02 (too small).
    \n
    \n
    \nI have tried asking the vendor if the correct terminal is available, but as of yet, they have been unresponsive. The language barrier and the time difference is making communication problematic.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994433] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #30\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I recently completed a 1000 mile road trip in the Cougar and I noticed that the steering was particularly numb on center. While driving down the highway I found myself having to constantly steer it in order to keep it going straight. I attributed this mostly to the windy conditions that I encountered at various points on the trip, but I didn\'t give it much more thought.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nAfter getting home, I noticed that there was a little squeaking noise from the front end when I made slow right hand turns. I suspected that maybe the preload on the front bearings has loosened up, so I jacked it up to investigate. Rocking the wheel at the 12 and 6 o\'clock position really didn\'t show any unusual looseness in the bearings, however, I did find significant slop when I rocked the wheel at the 3 and 9 o\'clock positions:
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\n\r\n\r\n\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nAlthough all of my front end components are "new" they do have about 15K miles on them since installation. After seeing the slop in the rack, I called TCP and was surprised and pleased to get a live tech guy on the line. His name was Mike and he was very helpful. He told me that due to the straight cut gears of the rack and pinion gears, periodic inspection and adjustment is necessary to minimize the backlash. He outlined the procedure and I went outside and did it. I also noticed that the passenger side inner tie rod was a little loose where it was bolted to the rack, and I was able to address that.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nNeedles to say, the steering feels much better. The return to center is much improved and the on center feel is also much better (no duh...considering how much slop was there)! I plan to have the car up on a rack in the near future to inspect all of the steering and the suspension components and fix anything I find.
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nTake away: don\'t assume everything is tight and working properly just because all of the components are "new."
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994481] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #31\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Going to rock a slightly different look and feel for a bit. It is definitely a different driving experience with proper front tires.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe tires are Dunlop Direzza (who comes up with these names!?) DZ102s sized 225/55-16 all the way around, mounted on 16x7 1997ish Crown Vic wheels. The fitment is very good. In retrospect, I probably could have gone with 245/50s all the way around, but I was afraid of fitment issues in the front.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nSome lowering in the front and rear is probably in order.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994491] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #32\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Royce Peterson\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n Royce Peterson\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nRoyce Peterson is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Moderator\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I like the look! Maybe the tires could be a bit lower / wider. That would lower the car and give a bit more room in the wheelwells.
    \n
    \n
    \n\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n
    Going to rock a slightly different look and feel for a bit. It is definitely a different driving experience with proper front tires.
    \n
    \n
    \nThe tires are Dunlop Direzza (who comes up with these names!?) DZ102s sized 225/55-16 all the way around, mounted on 16x7 1997ish Crown Vic wheels. The fitment is very good. In retrospect, I probably could have gone with 245/50s all the way around, but I was afraid of fitment issues in the front.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nSome lowering in the front and rear is probably in order.
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Royce Peterson
    \nCCOA MEMBER #590
    \n1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    \n1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    \n1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    \n1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    \n1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    \n1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    \nXR7-G Registrar
    \nCURBSTER Hidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994483] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #33\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Lxg44\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n Lxg44\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nLxg44 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Looks good. I think those wheels are a better look with your car. Agreed a slight drop would finish the job\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    69 Cougar
    \nSchwartz G-Machine Chassis
    \nCoyote Boss 5.0
    \nT-56 Magnum 6-Speed
    \n
    \nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994489] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #34\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n dexcraft\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \ndexcraft is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Great information and really good work done by Mr. Phil
    \n
    \n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994569] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #35\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n The front can come down, but it looks pretty tough with those 225s. I wish I had gone with 245/50s in the rear, but they were not available in this tire anyway. Maybe next set? The shorter tire height is also impacting cruise engine speed. Seventy five MPH is up to about 2500rpm, which is a few hundred more than before.
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994587] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #36\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n DieselD\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nDieselD is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n kinda has a mad max feel to it. I dig it!\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[994603] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #37\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n martinbrown637\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nmartinbrown637 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n great work\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[995099] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #38\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n It has been a while since I have made any updates to this thread, but that is mostly because there was nothing much to report, until now.
    \n
    \n
    \nI had plans to visit family in the Chicagoland area, and I thought it would be great to make the road trip (750 miles each way) in the Cougar. The first thing was to put together an emergency kit for the road. This consisted of a can of FixAflat, Pladoe, balloons, canned air, and apparently a new cam shaft...just in case...LOL
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe cam was obviously not for emergency use. My plan was to stay with my friend, who has a fully equipped garage to do a cam swap. I wanted something a little more mild and something that would be boost friendly, in case I want to do a turbo down the road. For this I chose the Summit Racing Stage 1 turbo cam, aka "Ghost" cam.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nI was working under a pretty tight schedule. The cam needed to be installed and everything buttoned up by 4:00pm on Saturday, because I was meeting family for dinner. My buddy Matt came over to lend a hand and we started on it at 7:00am.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nThe new cam was installed along with the 7.425" pushrods that were recommended to be used with this cam by Summit. We double checked lifter preload and it came to .060", which is about right.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nCam cover back on and the balancer torqued to 235lb/ft per ARPs instructions.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nOnce the radiator was back in, and all hoses reconnected, we fired it up, checked for leaks, brought it up to temp, topped off coolant, and time for a test drive and retune.
    \n
    \n
    \nThis is where the Holley Dominator EFI is so handy. The fuel table started adjusting immediately as I drove. Within a few miles of stop and go traffic, it got noticeably better. I transferred the learn table to the base table, rinse and repeat. By the time I was heading to dinner with my family, she was purring like a kitten....ahem...
    \n
    \n
    \nSunday was my daughters HS graduation party. I stopped at a Starbucks on the way, and met up with these guys. Cool dudes...we chatted a bit and went on our ways.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nMonday morning I had breakfast with a longtime friend and hit the road, back south. Other than being hot af, the car ran great. I also noted that I picked up 2-3mpg. I stopped in Bowling Green, KY on the way back.
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nAnd enjoyed a nice dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Almost as if I was in Mexico...LOL
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \n
    \nUntil next time...
    \n
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[995183] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #39\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n andrewb70\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Idle video of the new cam:
    \n
    \nhttps://www.instagram.com/projectgattago/
    \n
    \nAndrew\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Hidden Content
    \r\nHidden Content
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; pd[860497] = '\n\n\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #40\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \n
    \r\n Tkosinski2\r\n \r\n
    \n\r\n \nTkosinski2 is offline\r\n\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Love the build and love that people accepted it. I wanted to do a 5.3L vortec swap mainly cause it\'s way cheaper than a coyote and very good motor. For the price you get a very capable engine and trans. Now if I could just convince my wife on it....... Lol\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n\n\n'; // next/previous post info pn[729473] = "860497,729481"; pn[0] = ",729473"; pn[729481] = "729473,729569"; pn[729569] = "729481,729577"; pn[729577] = "729569,955802"; pn[955802] = "729577,729601"; pn[729601] = "955802,729617"; pn[729617] = "729601,729673"; pn[729673] = "729617,729657"; pn[729657] = "729673,729665"; pn[729665] = "729657,729801"; pn[729801] = "729665,729809"; pn[729809] = "729801,729817"; pn[729817] = "729809,729857"; pn[729857] = "729817,729865"; pn[729865] = "729857,729897"; pn[729897] = "729865,734057"; pn[734057] = "729897,734113"; pn[734113] = "734057,995225"; pn[995225] = "734113,995227"; pn[995227] = "995225,729905"; pn[729905] = "995227,729945"; pn[729945] = "729905,729985"; pn[729985] = "729945,729993"; pn[729993] = "729985,730009"; pn[730009] = "729993,730041"; pn[730041] = "730009,730017"; pn[730017] = "730041,730049"; pn[730049] = "730017,730545"; pn[730545] = "730049,730689"; pn[730689] = "730545,822073"; pn[822073] = "730689,822129"; pn[822129] = "822073,730553"; pn[730553] = "822129,730793"; pn[730793] = "730553,730897"; pn[730897] = "730793,731273"; pn[731273] = "730897,730961"; pn[730961] = "731273,731017"; pn[731017] = "730961,731193"; pn[731193] = "731017,731241"; pn[731241] = "731193,734129"; pn[734129] = "731241,734137"; pn[734137] = "734129,734241"; pn[734241] = "734137,734289"; pn[734289] = "734241,735897"; pn[735897] = "734289,736081"; pn[736081] = "735897,735961"; pn[735961] = "736081,735969"; pn[735969] = "735961,736065"; pn[736065] = "735969,736073"; pn[736073] = "736065,736105"; pn[736105] = "736073,736809"; pn[736809] = "736105,736969"; pn[736969] = "736809,742105"; pn[742105] = "736969,742169"; pn[742169] = "742105,742650"; pn[742650] = "742169,742706"; pn[742706] = "742650,742778"; pn[742778] = "742706,742658"; pn[742658] = "742778,743906"; pn[743906] = "742658,743922"; pn[743922] = "743906,744346"; pn[744346] = "743922,745073"; pn[745073] = "744346,745089"; pn[745089] = "745073,745241"; pn[745241] = "745089,745537"; pn[745537] = "745241,745577"; pn[745577] = "745537,745617"; pn[745617] = "745577,745745"; pn[745745] = "745617,745857"; pn[745857] = "745745,745921"; pn[745921] = "745857,745986"; pn[745986] = "745921,746034"; pn[746034] = "745986,745873"; pn[745873] = "746034,746042"; pn[746042] = "745873,746090"; pn[746090] = "746042,746098"; pn[746098] = "746090,746146"; pn[746146] = "746098,746666"; pn[746666] = "746146,822169"; pn[822169] = "746666,746897"; pn[746897] = "822169,747193"; pn[747193] = "746897,747353"; pn[747353] = "747193,747529"; pn[747529] = "747353,747673"; pn[747673] = "747529,747825"; pn[747825] = "747673,749234"; pn[749234] = "747825,749322"; pn[749322] = "749234,749338"; pn[749338] = "749322,749378"; pn[749378] = "749338,749386"; pn[749386] = "749378,749482"; pn[749482] = "749386,749914"; pn[749914] = "749482,750050"; pn[750050] = "749914,750066"; pn[750066] = "750050,750442"; pn[750442] = "750066,750890"; pn[750890] = "750442,750994"; pn[750994] = "750890,751010"; pn[751010] = "750994,751042"; pn[751042] = "751010,751130"; pn[751130] = "751042,751234"; pn[751234] = "751130,751290"; pn[751290] = "751234,753650"; pn[753650] = "751290,753962"; pn[753962] = "753650,754122"; pn[754122] = "753962,754138"; pn[754138] = "754122,754794"; pn[754794] = "754138,756362"; pn[756362] = "754794,756370"; pn[756370] = "756362,756386"; pn[756386] = "756370,756682"; pn[756682] = "756386,756714"; pn[756714] = "756682,757274"; pn[757274] = "756714,757338"; pn[757338] = "757274,757362"; pn[757362] = "757338,757474"; pn[757474] = "757362,757482"; pn[757482] = "757474,757498"; pn[757498] = "757482,757770"; pn[757770] = "757498,757778"; pn[757778] = "757770,757858"; pn[757858] = "757778,757850"; pn[757850] = "757858,757938"; pn[757938] = "757850,757946"; pn[757946] = "757938,757954"; pn[757954] = "757946,757962"; pn[757962] = "757954,758258"; pn[758258] = "757962,759602"; pn[759602] = "758258,759650"; pn[759650] = "759602,759682"; pn[759682] = "759650,759714"; pn[759714] = "759682,759914"; pn[759914] = "759714,760138"; pn[760138] = "759914,760170"; pn[760170] = "760138,760626"; pn[760626] = "760170,760858"; pn[760858] = "760626,760890"; pn[760890] = "760858,760906"; pn[760906] = "760890,760914"; pn[760914] = "760906,760922"; pn[760922] = "760914,760946"; pn[760946] = "760922,760930"; pn[760930] = "760946,761130"; pn[761130] = "760930,761410"; pn[761410] = "761130,764266"; pn[764266] = "761410,764282"; pn[764282] = "764266,764290"; pn[764290] = "764282,764370"; pn[764370] = "764290,764482"; pn[764482] = "764370,764810"; pn[764810] = "764482,764826"; pn[764826] = "764810,764842"; pn[764842] = "764826,765625"; pn[765625] = "764842,765689"; pn[765689] = "765625,765705"; pn[765705] = "765689,765713"; pn[765713] = "765705,765729"; pn[765729] = "765713,766066"; pn[766066] = "765729,766250"; pn[766250] = "766066,766370"; pn[766370] = "766250,766466"; pn[766466] = "766370,766826"; pn[766826] = "766466,766842"; pn[766842] = "766826,766850"; pn[766850] = "766842,767345"; pn[767345] = "766850,767409"; pn[767409] = "767345,767433"; pn[767433] = "767409,767602"; pn[767602] = "767433,767706"; pn[767706] = "767602,767722"; pn[767722] = "767706,767730"; pn[767730] = "767722,767985"; pn[767985] = "767730,767778"; pn[767778] = "767985,767786"; pn[767786] = "767778,768337"; pn[768337] = "767786,768553"; pn[768553] = "768337,768874"; pn[768874] = "768553,768994"; pn[768994] = "768874,769562"; pn[769562] = "768994,769578"; pn[769578] = "769562,769802"; pn[769802] = "769578,769890"; pn[769890] = "769802,769994"; pn[769994] = "769890,770121"; pn[770121] = "769994,770145"; pn[770145] = "770121,770169"; pn[770169] = "770145,770754"; pn[770754] = "770169,771098"; pn[771098] = "770754,771194"; pn[771194] = "771098,771266"; pn[771266] = "771194,771338"; pn[771338] = "771266,771642"; pn[771642] = "771338,772594"; pn[772594] = "771642,773450"; pn[773450] = "772594,773514"; pn[773514] = "773450,773522"; pn[773522] = "773514,773674"; pn[773674] = "773522,774194"; pn[774194] = "773674,774650"; pn[774650] = "774194,774906"; pn[774906] = "774650,775042"; pn[775042] = "774906,775298"; pn[775298] = "775042,775361"; pn[775361] = "775298,775401"; pn[775401] = "775361,775569"; pn[775569] = "775401,776353"; pn[776353] = "775569,776513"; pn[776513] = "776353,777793"; pn[777793] = "776513,777817"; pn[777817] = "777793,777841"; pn[777841] = "777817,778450"; pn[778450] = "777841,778538"; pn[778538] = "778450,778977"; pn[778977] = "778538,777825"; pn[777825] = "778977,777849"; pn[777849] = "777825,778097"; pn[778097] = "777849,778105"; pn[778105] = "778097,778354"; pn[778354] = "778105,778370"; pn[778370] = "778354,778434"; pn[778434] = "778370,778642"; pn[778642] = "778434,778682"; pn[778682] = "778642,778786"; pn[778786] = "778682,778850"; pn[778850] = "778786,778945"; pn[778945] = "778850,779009"; pn[779009] = "778945,779377"; pn[779377] = "779009,780033"; pn[780033] = "779377,780433"; pn[780433] = "780033,780553"; pn[780553] = "780433,780601"; pn[780601] = "780553,780609"; pn[780609] = "780601,780625"; pn[780625] = "780609,780769"; pn[780769] = "780625,782162"; pn[782162] = "780769,782898"; pn[782898] = "782162,782954"; pn[782954] = "782898,783425"; pn[783425] = "782954,783433"; pn[783433] = "783425,783441"; pn[783441] = "783433,783449"; pn[783449] = "783441,783473"; pn[783473] = "783449,783481"; pn[783481] = "783473,783489"; pn[783489] = "783481,783497"; pn[783497] = "783489,783537"; pn[783537] = "783497,783561"; pn[783561] = "783537,783569"; pn[783569] = "783561,783577"; pn[783577] = "783569,783593"; pn[783593] = "783577,783601"; pn[783601] = "783593,783609"; pn[783609] = "783601,783649"; pn[783649] = "783609,784889"; pn[784889] = "783649,784953"; pn[784953] = "784889,785097"; pn[785097] = "784953,785105"; pn[785105] = "785097,785425"; pn[785425] = "785105,785441"; pn[785441] = "785425,785457"; pn[785457] = "785441,786322"; pn[786322] = "785457,787017"; pn[787017] = "786322,787025"; pn[787025] = "787017,787081"; pn[787081] = "787025,787097"; pn[787097] = "787081,787145"; pn[787145] = "787097,787177"; pn[787177] = "787145,787298"; pn[787298] = "787177,787618"; pn[787618] = "787298,787650"; pn[787650] = "787618,787705"; pn[787705] = "787650,788081"; pn[788081] = "787705,788169"; pn[788169] = "788081,788425"; pn[788425] = "788169,789074"; pn[789074] = "788425,789322"; pn[789322] = "789074,789330"; pn[789330] = "789322,789338"; pn[789338] = "789330,789633"; pn[789633] = "789338,789641"; pn[789641] = "789633,789681"; pn[789681] = "789641,789689"; pn[789689] = "789681,789729"; pn[789729] = "789689,789737"; pn[789737] = "789729,789753"; pn[789753] = "789737,789801"; pn[789801] = "789753,789809"; pn[789809] = "789801,789817"; pn[789817] = "789809,789857"; pn[789857] = "789817,790001"; pn[790001] = "789857,790033"; pn[790033] = "790001,790049"; pn[790049] = "790033,790649"; pn[790649] = "790049,791122"; pn[791122] = "790649,791170"; pn[791170] = "791122,791186"; pn[791186] = "791170,791378"; pn[791378] = "791186,791506"; pn[791506] = "791378,791865"; pn[791865] = "791506,792793"; pn[792793] = "791865,792921"; pn[792921] = "792793,793337"; pn[793337] = "792921,793417"; pn[793417] = "793337,793473"; pn[793473] = "793417,793889"; pn[793889] = "793473,793913"; pn[793913] = "793889,794057"; pn[794057] = "793913,794337"; pn[794337] = "794057,794633"; pn[794633] = "794337,795154"; pn[795154] = "794633,797449"; pn[797449] = "795154,795162"; pn[795162] = "797449,795170"; pn[795170] = "795162,795186"; pn[795186] = "795170,795641"; pn[795641] = "795186,798025"; pn[798025] = "795641,798073"; pn[798073] = "798025,798105"; pn[798105] = "798073,798153"; pn[798153] = "798105,798177"; pn[798177] = "798153,798217"; pn[798217] = "798177,798321"; pn[798321] = "798217,798433"; pn[798433] = "798321,798353"; pn[798353] = "798433,798441"; pn[798441] = "798353,798553"; pn[798553] = "798441,798785"; pn[798785] = "798553,798833"; pn[798833] = "798785,798937"; pn[798937] = "798833,799089"; pn[799089] = "798937,799105"; pn[799105] = "799089,799113"; pn[799113] = "799105,799121"; pn[799121] = "799113,799433"; pn[799433] = "799121,799449"; pn[799449] = "799433,799529"; pn[799529] = "799449,799537"; pn[799537] = "799529,799609"; pn[799609] = "799537,800274"; pn[800274] = "799609,800642"; pn[800642] = "800274,800674"; pn[800674] = "800642,800754"; pn[800754] = "800674,800930"; pn[800930] = "800754,800954"; pn[800954] = "800930,800970"; pn[800970] = "800954,801026"; pn[801026] = "800970,801042"; pn[801042] = "801026,802850"; pn[802850] = "801042,802922"; pn[802922] = "802850,803041"; pn[803041] = "802922,803873"; pn[803873] = "803041,803889"; pn[803889] = "803873,803913"; pn[803913] = "803889,804025"; pn[804025] = "803913,804033"; pn[804033] = "804025,804233"; pn[804233] = "804033,804049"; pn[804049] = "804233,804241"; pn[804241] = "804049,804353"; pn[804353] = "804241,804393"; pn[804393] = "804353,804473"; pn[804473] = "804393,804481"; pn[804481] = "804473,804505"; pn[804505] = "804481,806498"; pn[806498] = "804505,806953"; pn[806953] = "806498,804698"; pn[804698] = "806953,805185"; pn[805185] = "804698,806490"; pn[806490] = "805185,807010"; pn[807010] = "806490,807034"; pn[807034] = "807010,807130"; pn[807130] = "807034,807162"; pn[807162] = "807130,807186"; pn[807186] = "807162,807226"; pn[807226] = "807186,807473"; pn[807473] = "807226,807377"; pn[807377] = "807473,807481"; pn[807481] = "807377,807545"; pn[807545] = "807481,807553"; pn[807553] = "807545,807977"; pn[807977] = "807553,808025"; pn[808025] = "807977,808977"; pn[808977] = "808025,809009"; pn[809009] = "808977,809201"; pn[809201] = "809009,809313"; pn[809313] = "809201,810145"; pn[810145] = "809313,810153"; pn[810153] = "810145,810345"; pn[810345] = "810153,810849"; pn[810849] = "810345,810929"; pn[810929] = "810849,810937"; pn[810937] = "810929,810945"; pn[810945] = "810937,812385"; pn[812385] = "810945,812953"; pn[812953] = "812385,813033"; pn[813033] = "812953,813337"; pn[813337] = "813033,813377"; pn[813377] = "813337,813521"; pn[813521] = "813377,813529"; pn[813529] = "813521,813849"; pn[813849] = "813529,813801"; pn[813801] = "813849,813857"; pn[813857] = "813801,813905"; pn[813905] = "813857,813913"; pn[813913] = "813905,813921"; pn[813921] = "813913,814073"; pn[814073] = "813921,814089"; pn[814089] = "814073,814225"; pn[814225] = "814089,814665"; pn[814665] = "814225,814673"; pn[814673] = "814665,814209"; pn[814209] = "814673,815025"; pn[815025] = "814209,815193"; pn[815193] = "815025,815337"; pn[815337] = "815193,815609"; pn[815609] = "815337,815665"; pn[815665] = "815609,815673"; pn[815673] = "815665,815681"; pn[815681] = "815673,815697"; pn[815697] = "815681,815881"; pn[815881] = "815697,815905"; pn[815905] = "815881,815913"; pn[815913] = "815905,816241"; pn[816241] = "815913,816522"; pn[816522] = "816241,816530"; pn[816530] = "816522,816618"; pn[816618] = "816530,816634"; pn[816634] = "816618,816778"; pn[816778] = "816634,816898"; pn[816898] = "816778,817466"; pn[817466] = "816898,818385"; pn[818385] = "817466,819577"; pn[819577] = "818385,820297"; pn[820297] = "819577,820585"; pn[820585] = "820297,820681"; pn[820681] = "820585,820937"; pn[820937] = "820681,821881"; pn[821881] = "820937,821993"; pn[821993] = "821881,822217"; pn[822217] = "821993,822865"; pn[822865] = "822217,823033"; pn[823033] = "822865,823281"; pn[823281] = "823033,823289"; pn[823289] = "823281,823409"; pn[823409] = "823289,823417"; pn[823417] = "823409,823585"; pn[823585] = "823417,824081"; pn[824081] = "823585,824105"; pn[824105] = "824081,824169"; pn[824169] = "824105,824257"; pn[824257] = "824169,825153"; pn[825153] = "824257,825337"; pn[825337] = "825153,825441"; pn[825441] = "825337,825161"; pn[825161] = "825441,825281"; pn[825281] = "825161,825465"; pn[825465] = "825281,825529"; pn[825529] = "825465,825577"; pn[825577] = "825529,825665"; pn[825665] = "825577,825585"; pn[825585] = "825665,825673"; pn[825673] = "825585,825753"; pn[825753] = "825673,825769"; pn[825769] = "825753,825897"; pn[825897] = "825769,825913"; pn[825913] = "825897,825777"; pn[825777] = "825913,825865"; pn[825865] = "825777,825873"; pn[825873] = "825865,825889"; pn[825889] = "825873,825921"; pn[825921] = "825889,825881"; pn[825881] = "825921,826009"; pn[826009] = "825881,826258"; pn[826258] = "826009,826274"; pn[826274] = "826258,826298"; pn[826298] = "826274,826713"; pn[826713] = "826298,826753"; pn[826753] = "826713,826785"; pn[826785] = "826753,826793"; pn[826793] = "826785,826905"; pn[826905] = "826793,826921"; pn[826921] = "826905,827009"; pn[827009] = "826921,827025"; pn[827025] = "827009,827033"; pn[827033] = "827025,827041"; pn[827041] = "827033,827073"; pn[827073] = "827041,827089"; pn[827089] = "827073,827105"; pn[827105] = "827089,827177"; pn[827177] = "827105,827513"; pn[827513] = "827177,827521"; pn[827521] = "827513,827657"; pn[827657] = "827521,827553"; pn[827553] = "827657,827665"; pn[827665] = "827553,827681"; pn[827681] = "827665,828049"; pn[828049] = "827681,828297"; pn[828297] = "828049,828385"; pn[828385] = "828297,828393"; pn[828393] = "828385,828457"; pn[828457] = "828393,828465"; pn[828465] = "828457,828617"; pn[828617] = "828465,828713"; pn[828713] = "828617,828769"; pn[828769] = "828713,829017"; pn[829017] = "828769,829041"; pn[829041] = "829017,829113"; pn[829113] = "829041,830633"; pn[830633] = "829113,830705"; pn[830705] = "830633,830729"; pn[830729] = "830705,830913"; pn[830913] = "830729,830993"; pn[830993] = "830913,831009"; pn[831009] = "830993,831017"; pn[831017] = "831009,831025"; pn[831025] = "831017,831425"; pn[831425] = "831025,831649"; pn[831649] = "831425,831793"; pn[831793] = "831649,831673"; pn[831673] = "831793,831801"; pn[831801] = "831673,832089"; pn[832089] = "831801,832137"; pn[832137] = "832089,832161"; pn[832161] = "832137,832289"; pn[832289] = "832161,832609"; pn[832609] = "832289,832913"; pn[832913] = "832609,833001"; pn[833001] = "832913,833097"; pn[833097] = "833001,833113"; pn[833113] = "833097,833689"; pn[833689] = "833113,833737"; pn[833737] = "833689,834041"; pn[834041] = "833737,834265"; pn[834265] = "834041,834473"; pn[834473] = "834265,834585"; pn[834585] = "834473,834737"; pn[834737] = "834585,835265"; pn[835265] = "834737,835729"; pn[835729] = "835265,835817"; pn[835817] = "835729,835897"; pn[835897] = "835817,835857"; pn[835857] = "835897,835889"; pn[835889] = "835857,835905"; pn[835905] = "835889,836546"; pn[836546] = "835905,836634"; pn[836634] = "836546,836841"; pn[836841] = "836634,837729"; pn[837729] = "836841,837769"; pn[837769] = "837729,837889"; pn[837889] = "837769,837945"; pn[837945] = "837889,838025"; pn[838025] = "837945,838233"; pn[838233] = "838025,838265"; pn[838265] = "838233,838289"; pn[838289] = "838265,838009"; pn[838009] = "838289,837929"; pn[837929] = "838009,838017"; pn[838017] = "837929,838073"; pn[838073] = "838017,838625"; pn[838625] = "838073,838665"; pn[838665] = "838625,838769"; pn[838769] = "838665,838785"; pn[838785] = "838769,839073"; pn[839073] = "838785,839105"; pn[839105] = "839073,839185"; pn[839185] = "839105,839193"; pn[839193] = "839185,839265"; pn[839265] = "839193,839281"; pn[839281] = "839265,839649"; pn[839649] = "839281,839802"; pn[839802] = "839649,840625"; pn[840625] = "839802,840633"; pn[840633] = "840625,843497"; pn[843497] = "840633,843953"; pn[843953] = "843497,844121"; pn[844121] = "843953,844201"; pn[844201] = "844121,844433"; pn[844433] = "844201,844465"; pn[844465] = "844433,844553"; pn[844553] = "844465,844601"; pn[844601] = "844553,844609"; pn[844609] = "844601,844641"; pn[844641] = "844609,844657"; pn[844657] = "844641,845057"; pn[845057] = "844657,845713"; pn[845713] = "845057,845953"; pn[845953] = "845713,846138"; pn[846138] = "845953,847153"; pn[847153] = "846138,847209"; pn[847209] = "847153,848345"; pn[848345] = "847209,848369"; pn[848369] = "848345,848377"; pn[848377] = "848369,848401"; pn[848401] = "848377,848409"; pn[848409] = "848401,848561"; pn[848561] = "848409,848481"; pn[848481] = "848561,848609"; pn[848609] = "848481,848641"; pn[848641] = "848609,848665"; pn[848665] = "848641,848681"; pn[848681] = "848665,848705"; pn[848705] = "848681,848721"; pn[848721] = "848705,848849"; pn[848849] = "848721,848921"; pn[848921] = "848849,849201"; pn[849201] = "848921,849265"; pn[849265] = "849201,849321"; pn[849321] = "849265,849185"; pn[849185] = "849321,849273"; pn[849273] = "849185,849329"; pn[849329] = "849273,849489"; pn[849489] = "849329,849521"; pn[849521] = "849489,849537"; pn[849537] = "849521,849529"; pn[849529] = "849537,849545"; pn[849545] = "849529,849561"; pn[849561] = "849545,849585"; pn[849585] = "849561,850385"; pn[850385] = "849585,850601"; pn[850601] = "850385,851761"; pn[851761] = "850601,852049"; pn[852049] = "851761,852498"; pn[852498] = "852049,852530"; pn[852530] = "852498,852602"; pn[852602] = "852530,853673"; pn[853673] = "852602,856265"; pn[856265] = "853673,857129"; pn[857129] = "856265,857145"; pn[857145] = "857129,857306"; pn[857306] = "857145,857314"; pn[857314] = "857306,857322"; pn[857322] = "857314,857362"; pn[857362] = "857322,857394"; pn[857394] = "857362,857354"; pn[857354] = "857394,857370"; pn[857370] = "857354,857402"; pn[857402] = "857370,859201"; pn[859201] = "857402,859217"; pn[859217] = "859201,859225"; pn[859225] = "859217,859522"; pn[859522] = "859225,859802"; pn[859802] = "859522,859249"; pn[859249] = "859802,859810"; pn[859810] = "859249,859826"; pn[859826] = "859810,859834"; pn[859834] = "859826,859842"; pn[859842] = "859834,859858"; pn[859858] = "859842,859914"; pn[859914] = "859858,859946"; pn[859946] = "859914,859970"; pn[859970] = "859946,860082"; pn[860082] = "859970,860074"; pn[860074] = "860082,860481"; pn[860481] = "860074,860489"; pn[860489] = "860481,861233"; pn[861233] = "860489,862241"; pn[862241] = "861233,863658"; pn[863658] = "862241,863666"; pn[863666] = "863658,863761"; pn[863761] = "863666,863801"; pn[863801] = "863761,863777"; pn[863777] = "863801,863785"; pn[863785] = "863777,863841"; pn[863841] = "863785,863849"; pn[863849] = "863841,863857"; pn[863857] = "863849,863865"; pn[863865] = "863857,864066"; pn[864066] = "863865,864418"; pn[864418] = "864066,868130"; pn[868130] = "864418,868154"; pn[868154] = "868130,868178"; pn[868178] = "868154,868306"; pn[868306] = "868178,868594"; pn[868594] = "868306,868138"; pn[868138] = "868594,868298"; pn[868298] = "868138,868818"; pn[868818] = "868298,868914"; pn[868914] = "868818,874569"; pn[874569] = "868914,874673"; pn[874673] = "874569,874689"; pn[874689] = "874673,874729"; pn[874729] = "874689,874769"; pn[874769] = "874729,874785"; pn[874785] = "874769,875145"; pn[875145] = "874785,875297"; pn[875297] = "875145,874833"; pn[874833] = "875297,874849"; pn[874849] = "874833,891377"; pn[891377] = "874849,891473"; pn[891473] = "891377,891537"; pn[891537] = "891473,891553"; pn[891553] = "891537,891577"; pn[891577] = "891553,892754"; pn[892754] = "891577,892858"; pn[892858] = "892754,893745"; pn[893745] = "892858,893785"; pn[893785] = "893745,893865"; pn[893865] = "893785,907865"; pn[907865] = "893865,910594"; pn[910594] = "907865,910666"; pn[910666] = "910594,911282"; pn[911282] = "910666,911394"; pn[911394] = "911282,911402"; pn[911402] = "911394,911418"; pn[911418] = "911402,914665"; pn[914665] = "911418,914689"; pn[914689] = "914665,914713"; pn[914713] = "914689,915418"; pn[915418] = "914713,914753"; pn[914753] = "915418,915426"; pn[915426] = "914753,915442"; pn[915442] = "915426,915450"; pn[915450] = "915442,915474"; pn[915474] = "915450,915458"; pn[915458] = "915474,915642"; pn[915642] = "915458,916449"; pn[916449] = "915642,916505"; pn[916505] = "916449,916545"; pn[916545] = "916505,916553"; pn[916553] = "916545,916689"; pn[916689] = "916553,917441"; pn[917441] = "916689,917897"; pn[917897] = "917441,917953"; pn[917953] = "917897,918369"; pn[918369] = "917953,918385"; pn[918385] = "918369,918465"; pn[918465] = "918385,918505"; pn[918505] = "918465,918537"; pn[918537] = "918505,918601"; pn[918601] = "918537,919593"; pn[919593] = "918601,919673"; pn[919673] = "919593,919689"; pn[919689] = "919673,919857"; pn[919857] = "919689,919897"; pn[919897] = "919857,920241"; pn[920241] = "919897,920361"; pn[920361] = "920241,920817"; pn[920817] = "920361,920825"; pn[920825] = "920817,921921"; pn[921921] = "920825,921929"; pn[921929] = "921921,921937"; pn[921937] = "921929,923825"; pn[923825] = "921937,923873"; pn[923873] = "923825,924129"; pn[924129] = "923873,934866"; pn[934866] = "924129,934874"; pn[934874] = "934866,934882"; pn[934882] = "934874,935530"; pn[935530] = "934882,936121"; pn[936121] = "935530,936113"; pn[936113] = "936121,936129"; pn[936129] = "936113,936137"; pn[936137] = "936129,936169"; pn[936169] = "936137,936193"; pn[936193] = "936169,936305"; pn[936305] = "936193,936361"; pn[936361] = "936305,936545"; pn[936545] = "936361,936689"; pn[936689] = "936545,936697"; pn[936697] = "936689,937393"; pn[937393] = "936697,937769"; pn[937769] = "937393,937785"; pn[937785] = "937769,937793"; pn[937793] = "937785,937897"; pn[937897] = "937793,937961"; pn[937961] = "937897,938513"; pn[938513] = "937961,938553"; pn[938553] = "938513,938577"; pn[938577] = "938553,938585"; pn[938585] = "938577,938593"; pn[938593] = "938585,938673"; pn[938673] = "938593,938713"; pn[938713] = "938673,939105"; pn[939105] = "938713,939289"; pn[939289] = "939105,939297"; pn[939297] = "939289,939345"; pn[939345] = "939297,939353"; pn[939353] = "939345,939369"; pn[939369] = "939353,940033"; pn[940033] = "939369,941626"; pn[941626] = "940033,941849"; pn[941849] = "941626,941977"; pn[941977] = "941849,942065"; pn[942065] = "941977,941633"; pn[941633] = "942065,941650"; pn[941650] = "941633,941665"; pn[941665] = "941650,941737"; pn[941737] = "941665,941745"; pn[941745] = "941737,941769"; pn[941769] = "941745,941857"; pn[941857] = "941769,941985"; pn[941985] = "941857,942073"; pn[942073] = "941985,942081"; pn[942081] = "942073,943305"; pn[943305] = "942081,943961"; pn[943961] = "943305,943953"; pn[943953] = "943961,945561"; pn[945561] = "943953,945577"; pn[945577] = "945561,945737"; pn[945737] = "945577,945761"; pn[945761] = "945737,945769"; pn[945769] = "945761,945777"; pn[945777] = "945769,945801"; pn[945801] = "945777,945809"; pn[945809] = "945801,945985"; pn[945985] = "945809,946033"; pn[946033] = "945985,946089"; pn[946089] = "946033,946097"; pn[946097] = "946089,946193"; pn[946193] = "946097,946257"; pn[946257] = "946193,947202"; pn[947202] = "946257,947234"; pn[947234] = "947202,947242"; pn[947242] = "947234,948994"; pn[948994] = "947242,949010"; pn[949010] = "948994,949026"; pn[949026] = "949010,949098"; pn[949098] = "949026,949034"; pn[949034] = "949098,949018"; pn[949018] = "949034,949082"; pn[949082] = "949018,949042"; pn[949042] = "949082,949050"; pn[949050] = "949042,949058"; pn[949058] = "949050,949090"; pn[949090] = "949058,949274"; pn[949274] = "949090,949290"; pn[949290] = "949274,949314"; pn[949314] = "949290,949170"; pn[949170] = "949314,949202"; pn[949202] = "949170,949354"; pn[949354] = "949202,949522"; pn[949522] = "949354,950042"; pn[950042] = "949522,950050"; pn[950050] = "950042,950642"; pn[950642] = "950050,950730"; pn[950730] = "950642,950058"; pn[950058] = "950730,950106"; pn[950106] = "950058,950170"; pn[950170] = "950106,950554"; pn[950554] = "950170,952569"; pn[952569] = "950554,952593"; pn[952593] = "952569,955265"; pn[955265] = "952593,960497"; pn[960497] = "955265,964002"; pn[964002] = "960497,964010"; pn[964010] = "964002,964298"; pn[964298] = "964010,964441"; pn[964441] = "964298,968297"; pn[968297] = "964441,969154"; pn[969154] = "968297,971089"; pn[971089] = "969154,973506"; pn[973506] = "971089,978258"; pn[978258] = "973506,978514"; pn[978514] = "978258,978874"; pn[978874] = "978514,979042"; pn[979042] = "978874,979106"; pn[979106] = "979042,984594"; pn[984594] = "979106,984657"; pn[984657] = "984594,985961"; pn[985961] = "984657,987297"; pn[987297] = "985961,987857"; pn[987857] = "987297,987889"; pn[987889] = "987857,987914"; pn[987914] = "987889,988865"; pn[988865] = "987914,993027"; pn[993027] = "988865,993025"; pn[993025] = "993027,993073"; pn[993073] = "993025,993085"; pn[993085] = "993073,993089"; pn[993089] = "993085,993097"; pn[993097] = "993089,993099"; pn[993099] = "993097,993101"; pn[993101] = "993099,993103"; pn[993103] = "993101,993113"; pn[993113] = "993103,993123"; pn[993123] = "993113,993129"; pn[993129] = "993123,993131"; pn[993131] = "993129,993135"; pn[993135] = "993131,993139"; pn[993139] = "993135,993149"; pn[993149] = "993139,993167"; pn[993167] = "993149,993185"; pn[993185] = "993167,993285"; pn[993285] = "993185,993353"; pn[993353] = "993285,993355"; pn[993355] = "993353,993373"; pn[993373] = "993355,993387"; pn[993387] = "993373,993449"; pn[993449] = "993387,993497"; pn[993497] = "993449,993533"; pn[993533] = "993497,993603"; pn[993603] = "993533,993817"; pn[993817] = "993603,993821"; pn[993821] = "993817,994433"; pn[994433] = "993821,994481"; pn[994481] = "994433,994491"; pn[994491] = "994481,994483"; pn[994483] = "994491,994489"; pn[994489] = "994483,994569"; pn[994569] = "994489,994587"; pn[994587] = "994569,994603"; pn[994603] = "994587,995099"; pn[995099] = "994603,995183"; pn[995183] = "995099,860497"; pn[860497] = "995183,729473"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[15172] = "andrewb70"; pu[25330] = "ndtorque"; pu[601] = "badcatt"; pu[11452] = "Al Bundy"; pu[10953] = "desertdave55"; pu[17374] = "cat crazy"; pu[8965] = "ken68cat"; pu[1425] = "Local Hero"; pu[5040] = "JB BATTERSHILL"; pu[91] = "leonbray"; pu[2733] = "CATHOUSE"; pu[4582] = "dennisg"; pu[1714] = "bosselim69"; pu[17742] = "Blue68cat"; pu[9237] = "Bad69cat"; pu[4310] = "twocats"; pu[9437] = "68PUMA"; pu[1487] = "68calypso"; pu[3511] = "1969XR7Vert"; pu[213] = "Art"; pu[17617] = "frankie3555"; pu[9197] = "cyclonelou"; pu[51369] = "Tkosinski2"; pu[56473] = "Pryor2the70s"; pu[14952] = "Harvey"; pu[57730] = "stang"; pu[8475] = "Addict2n20"; pu[1728] = "cougarshaman"; pu[27337] = "hanver"; pu[3725] = "jcbingcougar"; pu[34162] = "NordicNightmare"; pu[15948] = "Katwoman"; pu[17995] = "screamin_67"; pu[53778] = "GT001"; pu[434] = "Michaels 69"; pu[8020] = "jk69cat"; pu[18129] = "erkthejerk73"; pu[10234] = "dmac"; pu[16978] = "Brian F"; pu[12259] = "CatsRock"; pu[17827] = "preaction"; pu[3619] = "Don Rush"; pu[2858] = "sh0x"; pu[25682] = "Lxg44"; pu[7162] = "Leroy Reeves"; pu[74577] = "sacarriker"; pu[84882] = "Mercurial Punch"; pu[88407] = "dexcraft"; pu[789] = "Royce Peterson"; pu[81513] = "DieselD"; pu[88453] = "martinbrown637"; pu[88611] = "Reece C"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 1967 Cougar build

I recently completed a 1000 mile road trip in the Cougar and I noticed that the steering was particularly numb on center. While driving down the highway I found myself having to constantly steer it in order to keep it going straight. I attributed this mostly to the windy conditions that I encountered at various points on the trip, but I didn't give it much more thought.

After getting home, I noticed that there was a little squeaking noise from the front end when I made slow right hand turns. I suspected that maybe the preload on the front bearings has loosened up, so I jacked it up to investigate. Rocking the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position really didn't show any unusual looseness in the bearings, however, I did find significant slop when I rocked the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions:

Although all of my front end components are "new" they do have about 15K miles on them since installation. After seeing the slop in the rack, I called TCP and was surprised and pleased to get a live tech guy on the line. His name was Mike and he was very helpful. He told me that due to the straight cut gears of the rack and pinion gears, periodic inspection and adjustment is necessary to minimize the backlash. He outlined the procedure and I went outside and did it. I also noticed that the passenger side inner tie rod was a little loose where it was bolted to the rack, and I was able to address that.

Needles to say, the steering feels much better. The return to center is much improved and the on center feel is also much better (no duh...considering how much slop was there)! I plan to have the car up on a rack in the near future to inspect all of the steering and the suspension components and fix anything I find.

Take away: don't assume everything is tight and working properly just because all of the components are "new."

Andrew
      Hidden Content
      Hidden Content
      Instagram @projectgattago

Thread Information