Looking for my Dad's 1970 Cougar (PIC)

Thread: Looking for my Dad's 1970 Cougar (PIC)

Looking for my Dad's 1970 Cougar (PIC)

Greetings all!

I am looking for my Dad's 1970 Cougar. He was the original owner, and traded it in for another car. Every now and then he talks about how awesome it would be to find it, even if we weren't able to buy it, just so he could see it one more time. If we could find the exact same one, I'm definitely open to buying and restoring it for him!

Here's some details:
    - 1970 Cougar
    - NOT an XR-7 nor an Eliminator, just a base-model Cougar
    - Unknown VIN (sorry guys)
    - Bought brand new in or near Elyria, Ohio
    - Traded in 5-10 years later due to rust, also in or near Elyria, Ohio
    - Forest Green, almost black
    - Black vinyl top
    - *May* have had snow tires on the back when sold

Now as for some unique mods he's told me over the years:
    - Had a "cutoff switch" hooked to the vacuum line of the engine as an anti-theft device (car would turn over but not start if "enabled")
    - Headlight vacuum didn't work at one point, so he hooked a manual override to it somehow.
    - Had XR-7 decals and emblems, but was not an actual XR-7 (got them from an XR-7 that was in the local junkyard, so they may look more "used" than the car itself is)
    - Passenger footwell had a metal food pan riveted to the floorboard after severe rust made it unstable -- may have even had a hole in the floor

And I do have some pictures. I can't seem to find most of them, but here's one from the day he first bought it:

Note that it looked different upon selling it -- remember it had XR-7 decals on it. Fun story: my Dad actually saw the car on the dealer's lot after he traded it in, and it was branded as a legit XR-7, even though it only had the decals and nothing more! From there, that's where we lost track of it.

With regards to the VIN, we've contacted his insurance agent at the time (still in business), but they discarded all records prior to 2000 recently, so that was a bust. We do have a picture of the license plate somewhere, which it had when he first bought the car, but I can't convince my Dad to contact the Ohio DMV to see if they have anything. He sees it as a lost cause, and figures it's probably in a barn somewhere or parted out, never to see the light of day again. I can't help but be optimistic.

Has anyone seen this car, or a similar one? I've been to numerous car shows over the years, but I rarely see any non-XR-7 1970 Cougars, and of all the Cougars I've seen, I've only seen one in person that was this color, but it was a different year. If this car is yours, I would LOVE to make arrangements to have my family see it again, regardless of condition. Even if it's mostly parted-out by now, the sentimental value outweighs any drawbacks here. Does anyone have any leads?

Re: Looking for my Dad's 1970 Cougar (PIC)

Good luck!! I found mine after 35 years!!
    1969 Cougar Eliminator M Code 351W 4V FMX (Original owner)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by 69eliminator View Post
    Good luck!! I found mine after 35 years!!
    Thank you! That's actually quite encouraging!

I forgot to mention, it's a hardtop with (I think a 3-speed?) automatic transmission.

I see there's 1611 hardtop 1970 Cougars like my Dad's still around according to this registry, but I don't see a way to filter by color, trim, etc. Another encouraging sign, although how many of them were originally Forest Green is an unknown (or is there a way to access those stats?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

If it was in that bad of shape within 10 years of being new ... it is rusted away in some junk yard or recycled by now .....

I had a very similar 70 XR7 ... same color and top...nice combo, mine had dark green leather too ... should still have it
    Jim
    69 CJR 4spd Eliminator
    69 Talladega
    68 Ranchero GT 390

good luck, I have only seen one 70 in the Cleveland /Akron area and it is Blue, orig color.... but I hear there are at least 2 on west side of town, not sure if both are on road and do not know colors

Since your dad knows exactly how it was equipped and what dealership he got it from, you could contact Kevin Marti and have him research it and possibly come up with the VIN.

If you can get that, you can check with Phil Parcells, keeper of the national database and see if it has been reported.

I'm planning on doing that with the Cougar that my father bought new in '69.

Phillip

Thread Information