Mercury Cougar Owners banner

'69 Cougar XR7 New wheels

10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  69blackcat 
#1 ·
hello everybody! I'm going to change wheels on my cat. I will go with A.R. Torq Thrust D.

I'd like to have 255 wide tires on 15" on all wheels. front and rear. Will it look good? i'm searchin' for a "fatty tires" look.

But before, i have a couple of questions..

1. is 8" width nice looking for 255 width tires?
2. Now my fenders are looking kinda.. empty. what is a good backspacing that will push a little bit externally the look of my wheels? (without making them exit by the car shape, obviously!)
3. i'm a noobie! what is the right bolt circle? :uhoh: :klo:
4. are 255 tires too wide for front wheels and the steering mechanism? will it cause troubles?
5. what are the right lug nuts for that kind of wheels?

I wish i could buy the right wheels for me.. help! summit racing waits for me!

#3 ·
I run 285/40-17's on 9 inch wide rims with 5.25" backspacing on the rear and 245/45-17's on 8 inch wide rims with 4.5" backspacing on the front. 245 is pushing the limits for front, so I'd have to recommend against 255.

Bolt circle is 4.5". The seller of the wheels should be able to specify the right lugs.

Regards,

Robert

#5 ·
forgo any 14 or 15 wheel, 16-17-18-20 is where its at, for tire/ wheel price and overall availbilty and better performing tires

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah i know, but on my "italian circulation sheet" i can only run:

195/75 r14
225/70 r14
Or
front 225/70 r14 rear 255/60 r15

i don't want troubles with police, plus i like the vintage look.

now i have 225/70 r14 in all 4 wheels.. dunno if the third combo in order with different front/rear wheels will look better. Will it fit perfectly? Will it be cool? What is the right baspacing? Hum. Maybe this combo could look good with 255 / 70 rear.. higher tire profile, same as the front.. but anyway, i can't, if i don't want troubles.. a cougar in europe is a real head turner.. but for police too.. help!

#11 ·
okay, my mechanic sold me some very cool wheels (TT D painted black) with some mickey thompson sportsman S/R on it. he had them in his garage for a couple of years..
front: 26 x 8 r15
rear: 26 x 12 r15..

rim width is 8.5 in with ET -24... way too much.
They rub in hard turns, they rub in speed bumps, they rub with 4 people on the car.. a nightmare. so i went back on my steps..
I also want to return street legal. (and you know legal tire size issues in italy.. if they catch you with tire sizes not permitted by your circulation sheet, they can confiscate your circulation sheet.. big troubles.)

My mechanic will took back the wheels i actually have, and we will buy another set of wheels. being that i want to be "legally okay" i want to run

Front: 225/70 r14
Rear: 255/60 r15

Front wheels: 14x6 Backspacing: 3.375 in. Offset: -3.00mm http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/are-1054665/overview/

Rear wheels: 15x7 Backspacing: 3.750 in. Offset: -6.00mm http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/are-1055765/overview/

Will this wheel & tires combo fit perfectly? Thank you.

#14 ·
Similar question on wheels, I am restoring a 69 XR 7, black paint with white pin stripe, black leather interior and black vinyl roof. I am thinking of Magnum 500's 15 x 7, what tires would be best, what centre cap do you recommend black, red or blue. I live in Toronto local sourcing would be best but open alternatives. thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.