Drive your cars! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drive your cars!

Re: Drive your cars!

They're putting in a hardened shaft. But when I asked them to do away with the lock-up feature, they look at me funny. Time to find a new mechanic.
    Kevin McGuire
    1969 Cougar Standard Coupe. 1 of 33

LOL - yeah I agree. (that would require a different convertor too.....and more $ of course) Hope they don't rape you to bad....
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

Hopefully your line pressure was OK (too high can kill a trans, just like too low) Some 'shift kits' raise the line pressure to get firm shifts. Some (like trans-go) raise it almost too high. The TVS adjustment also regulates line pressure.

How much power are you making? It is the torque that is the limiting factor, not horsepower. The stock input shaft is good for around 450 lb/ft torque. The hardened input shaft is good for around 550 lb/ft. First and Second gears use the outer input shaft, and Third and Overdrive use the inner shaft, which is why you still had First and Second, but no D or OD.

I'm running the hardened inner shaft, and the Baumann shift kit, in my custom wide-ratio AOD behind a healthy 393W. Normally a high-stall converter softens the drivetrain shock to the trans at the shifts. Even with a 2500-stall converter in mine, it is enough to bark the drag radials on wide-open 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Think about that - I am putting enough power through that little 3/4" inner input shaft to bark the tires when it goes into Third. (in an AOD, lockup and Third happen at the same time) I'm gonna have to do something about that... maybe a higher-stall converter since that will be 'looser' and that should cushion the shock through that inner input shaft at the 2-3 shift...
    Milo Swanson
    CCOA #1478

AlphaCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - modified for street/strip
    Beta Cat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - stock
    PartsCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-2V - bought for parts/pattern for reassembling other disassembled Cats
    PartsCat2 - '73 standard hardtop, 351C-2V FMX automatic. Another parts cat to be used to 'rebody' BetaCat

70 Mach 1 351C-4V automatic (wife's car!)
    66 Comet Caliente 289-2V automatic
    96 Crown Vic LX HPP - POS winter beater
    89 Crown Vic LX 393 stroker - my new daily driver/sleeper
    97 F-250HD XLT ext cab - Tow rig
    04 Crown Vic LX Sport - Wife's new daily driver

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

have them run a pressure check on it and see that your pressure levels are set to coincide with TV lever postiion/shifts. (Assuming you don't have an aftermarket valve body here) that TV lever adjustment is critical on a stock VB as it is what sets the pressure for the shift points. If that cars seems early or late on the shifts at any point DO NOT drive very far! Check the TV lever for travel and adjust it.
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

They had to put in a new convertor because they couldn't get the broken end of the input shaft out. All in all it cost me half as much to get the tranny repaired as opposed to what it cost me originally. I asked them about the warranty and they said it only covers the wetted parts. Last dyno tune was 287.58 HP @ 5400 RPM, 310.38 FT-LBS @ 4500 RPM. All that is at the rear wheel I presume. Not sure what it's putting out at the flywheel. The mechanic told me the tranny could handle 500 HP. I highly doubt the motor is putting out that much. One of the comments made was "that it is a heavier car" that what they normally put this tranny in. Told the owner what I thought of him and his shop and that he lost a customer as well as any references. Looks like I'm back to wrenching on it. Right when my knuckles are healed up and the grease is gone from underneath the fingernails. It just flames my a** that I can't seem to find a decent mechanic that I can trust.
    Kevin McGuire

So how's it holding up? I hope to get mine rolling full time in may..we'll see.

Jeff, it's holding up. Haven't really jumped on it too much. There's a vibration in it now, and I've noticed that the drivers side export brace looks tweeked. The lip on the firewall that the brace bolts to is pulled down. Still pretty pissed with Higgins, but I'm trying to let it all go and move on. Lesson learned. Come on out to Oz Pizza in Douglasville this Saturday between 2 & 5. Having a cruise-in. Staring to get a few cars to come out.
    Kevin McGuire

I need to get to one of those pizza events. Work has been insane recently though. Also had a friend give me a boat so i'm working a little on that too.

No friends give boats LOL
    Chris Jones
    1969 XR-7 Convertible - Red with blk interior and top-the cruiser-had it since 1987
    1969 Eliminator, Comp Orange, 351W 4V, orig sunroof car
    1969 XR-7 428CJ R/A 4 speed (aka "Black and Blue")

Thread Information