Have you seen this car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you seen this car?

Blog Entries

Re: Have you seen this car?

Quote Originally Posted by 69eliminator View Post
    Just noticed single exhaust pipe, so likely not an Eliminator.
    Except that it is on the wrong side for a factory single exhaust. May be, may not be an Eliminator. I hope Ian finds it.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Cool car and I like the name. I just bet it gets found. Someone has got to remember that paint job!
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

I think the rear mount power antenna is aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitaker View Post
    I wonder if the rear mounted antenna is original and how many 69's had it. That could make it easier to track down.
    Hidden Content Currently in the Stable: 69 Mercury Cougar - cruiser/show car, Donut maker, "Now with A/C & fuel injection" 10 Maxima SV- Mom's loaner car from Dad, 15 F150 Lariat SuperCab - Dad's Truck, 16 Suzuki Burgman 650 - Dad's 2 wheeled Toy

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

what suburb was it in that might help if it was at Dukes Frosted Mug or somewhere else the usual old car hop hangouts on the southside.
    1970 Mercury Cougar
    1981 Mercury Capri RS
    1970 Mercury Montego
    1971 Mercury Cyclone GT
    1969 Mercury Marauder X-100
    1970 Mercury Cyclone GT
    1986 McLaren Euro Coupe Capri
    1985 McLaren Capri Coupe
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    1970 Ford Fairlane 500 SCJ DragPac
    1973 Mercury Montego GT
    1970 Mercury Montego MX
    1979 Ford Ranchero w/72 Montego nose
    1971 Mercury Montego Spoiler clone
    Hidden Content

It was at the Tri-Chevy Show at the Will County Fair Grounds in Peotone, IL.

Often the dealer installed the antenna - anywhere the customer wanted it. The shop manual even mentions it.

My 69 XR7 has the antenna installed on the rear passenger side. The front fendor is clean and never had holes for the antenna.

I'll admit you don't see them on the back very often but they are out there. I get a kick out of how few people notice at a car show.....

Quote Originally Posted by smitty357 View Post
    Often the dealer installed the antenna - anywhere the customer wanted it. The shop manual even mentions it.

My 69 XR7 has the antenna installed on the rear passenger side. The front fendor is clean and never had holes for the antenna.

I'll admit you don't see them on the back very often but they are out there. I get a kick out of how few people notice at a car show.....
    I've seen a few. Needing a longer cable, would it have a different part number?

I dont mean to hijack a thread but Merc RS you sure do have a nice list of very nice Ford products! Dont suppose you might share a few pics with us lowly single or two car owners would you?
    Like as in pretty please and where have you been hiding all this blue oval gold? LOL
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

Quote Originally Posted by ian1320 View Post
    I had always wanted to track it down but didn't have anything to go on until my dad pulled this pictures out. A paint job aint much but its something. Wish i had the VIN, this would be so much easier.
    I know that you said in an earlier post that your grandfather has passed. What about other family members? Who took care of the estate? Is your grandmother still with us? One place to look for a VIN would be in his papers. Old registration or insurance papers. If all his papers were trashed perhaps someone could tell you who his insurance agent was, that agent might possibly still have records showing the VIN. A longer shot would be to send a request to the CCOA National Database and the CCOA Eliminator Registry and ask if there is any record of a 69 in orange with custom paint. I cannot say that the car was an original Eliminator, but it is a possibility.

Randy Goodling
    CCOA #95

My family's history since the passing of my grandfather is.... lets say... challenged. Grandmom is still alive but they separated a long time ago and she lives in Florida where she has been since the 80s. My parents were in charge of the sale of the 4 cars left (the "Stray Cat" being 1 of them) but they have no paper trail. I have asked a few times for anything with a VIN but i don't think they have anything.

I'm pretty much on my own with this project, sorry to say.

If you could find out what insurance they had on the car and who their agent was you might be able to find the VIN that way.

Good luck and as Local Hero said those vintage/original late '70s custom paint jobs are making a come back.

Is there some way either through dmv or the insurance company that it was insured by to find out the vin with your grandpas's name possibly?
    Hope you can find it I love stories like that
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Yes - this car was for sale on eBay a while back ('07 or '08) from a place in Iowa; Duffy's Collectible Cars.

PM me an e-mail address and I can send you the images from that auction. The paint scheme was intact, but the front spoiler was black, it was sporting dual exhaust, and it appeared as though the rear antenna was gone.
    Todd G.

'69 XR-7, 351W-4V (was 2V)
    '99 Explorer XLT, 4.0 SOHC
    '06 Mustang GT

Hidden Content

There you go! I bet Duffys still has the vin on record. Let us know what you turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by ntgregory View Post
    Yes - this car was for sale on eBay a while back ('07 or '08) from a place in Iowa; Duffy's Collectible Cars.

PM me an e-mail address and I can send you the images from that auction. The paint scheme was intact, but the front spoiler was black, it was sporting dual exhaust, and it appeared as though the rear antenna was gone.

PM sent. Super excited to have a new lead. Ill keep you guys updated. Thanks!

Thread Information