Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Have you seen this car?

22K views 74 replies 33 participants last post by  ian1320 
#1 ·
New member here. Im looking for a certain cougar in particular. It was my Grandfathers and was sold in or around 96 in the midwest region. I last saw it in the far south suburbs of Chicago but have heard that it was sold to a collector in Indiana.

It is a very distinct car and love it or hate it you probably wont forget seeing it. Im hoping you guys can reunite me with a car from my childhood.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
DANG! - I missed that one somehow! Duffy's moved from thier location last year and I don't drive by it at thier new local......awesome lead on it!!

I need to make a habit of driving by it now and them I guess

#39 ·
Keep pluggin away - it'll turn up eventually.

#40 ·
There are no less than 50 relevant places you can post on the net. I would post on the WCCC facebook site, all four Cougar forums, CL in different places often, you get the idea... What about that site that tracks all ebay car sales over a number of years? You will find it... Cool story! BTW, bet money he is in our database. Write a compelling, interesting story and we may be able to help spread the word to our 15,000 customers.

#44 ·
#42 ·
#46 ·
Been out in the south burbs of Chicago a long time , also drift over to north west Indiana a lot . If I see it I will taking pics and be getting some info if possible .

#53 · (Edited)

Good job! I knew someone was looking for it, but I couldn't get the search function here to do what I needed it to do :-/

Hope it can be reunited with the previous owner!

For posterity, the VIN: 9F91H588044
H-code definitely rules out the possibility of it being an Eliminator.

eBay Seller: ajbn69
http://www.ebay.com/usr/ajbn69
Item Location: Des Moines, IA
Description: This is a custom 1969 Mercury cougar with a xr7 hood relisted due to mistake on listing runs and drives brakes work -paint is in good shape for its age
$5.5k buy now.

#55 ·
Do the forum admins have access to personal contact info that isn't displayed on profile pages? If so, perhaps one of them could reach out.

What a great find. Sometimes all it takes is time and a great community of eyeballs!

#56 ·
Did some internet sleuthing and was able to track down Ian. Passed along links to cougstang's post and the ebay auction just now. Here's hoping he can make it all come true!

#57 ·
It didn't move to far from when Duffy's sold it anyway...... I hate to say it, but I'd have to repaint it! lol That thing gives me flashbacks of orange and brown shag carpet and all kinds of colors that should never be mixed! ;>P

#58 ·
I see the auction just ended with no bids. Something is a bit sketchy with this seller. One of his three feedbacks is for the sale of this car a few weeks ago. Also, it shows the car being sold twice before.
Someone mentioned Duffy's had the car at one time. I remember them selling a Cougar one time. Someone had bondoed over the fender mounting bolts and it was cracked and splitting. When looking at the pics of this one I don't see any fender bolts?
That being said, I would still love to have it!

#59 ·
See if you can PM the guy and maybe schedule a look-see. While your in Des Moines I'd use that as an excuse to visit El Bait Shop.......would make for a nice Sunday drive. I may get back out that way in July for the Good Guy's show if you want some eyes on it.

#60 ·
#62 ·
Not in Ian's driveway yet? It's so cool it needs to be rescued (XRS indeed)

I would buy it and hold it for him, but I keep getting flashbacks looking at those stripes.

Something between ski bunny outfits and 'Too Close for Comfort' episodes:

#63 ·
Hey does anyone know if Ian every found and or got the car? I just got back from taking my mother in law to Des Moines and saw it at a dealership on NW 2nd Avenue. You can't miss that paint job, in fact it caught my eye even though it was parked behind 2 rows of cars.

#64 ·
This car just turned up again! I see a guy on FB Patrick Dorrian Jr is the new owner...... sound like he's planning to change it from it's current paint scheme. (Can't say I blame him! lol)

#65 ·
Arguably, the majority of the value and interest in the car is in the vintage paint scheme. Remove the wild stripes and you have a '69 Eliminator Clone. Remove the scoop and rear spoiler and you have a comp orange '69 Standard Cougar. As it sits right now, at any car show it goes to, it is a messenger from another time. People will see it and be amazed, alarmed, or revolted! But it will evoke a reaction and draw attention and conversation as a result.
If you strip it all away then what you have left is an orange '69 Cougar. People will still say "oh I used to have a Cougar" or even "nice Charger", and then walk away and forget all about it. But a striped hippy street machine? That will stick in people's memory for years afterwards. Any time they see another Cougar they'll be like "do you remember that one we saw with the crazy stripes? Wow!". And people will be like "Oh yeah, I've seen that one too! That is ugly as sin!".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.