Dipsticks!

Thread: Dipsticks!

Blog Entries

Dipsticks!

Hey Fellahs,

Got my car on sunday and I'm diving right in and taking care of tune-up basics so it will be road worthy. Oh, and so it won't leave me sitting on the side of the road again (more on that later).

So I checked the oil like a good boy ~ oh man, down below the "add 1" line! While researching what oil to use in the ol' Cat and I found the FE dipstick TSB. Cool! So I check the part number on my dipstick ...and learn that somewhere along the line my car has acquired a Boss302 Dipstick (D0ZE-6750-C)!

My current plan is to change the oil & filter and then see where the oil is sitting on the dipstick and make a mental note of where "normal" is. But by any chance, would anyone be able to provide a comparison between the 428CJ dipstick and the Boss302 dipstick?

Thanks in advance!
    ~ Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
    Sonic Blue 1 of 354

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
    1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Hidden Content section of the forum!

Re: Dipsticks!

As I recall, the 428SCJ with oil cooler needs 6 quarts of oil. On a 1969 dip stick, it will normally show 'over filled'.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

1968 XR7 J code 5 speed
    1968 Mustang GT/CS 302-4V

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW---Whata ride!!!"

Blog Entries

Thanks Scott,

I did get some info from my post over on CCC. http://www.classiccougarcommunity.co...php?f=2&t=2010

Looks like the PO was trying to run the car dry! I drained out the old oil tonite too. That stuff was nasty. Looked like black mud.
    New oil will go back in tomorrow, but I think I'm going to drop the oil pan and wipe it out a bit to try and get as much of that old sludge out of it as possible. Thinking about picking up some cheap oil and filter just to do a basic "flush" of the system with it. Then change it out again for "the good stuff".

Scott (or anyone else that wants to chime in), can I ask you what oil you put in your CJ? I've been reading up on it a bit, but I'm still curious what other CJ owners are using.
    Last edited by Mike_B_SVT; December 27th, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
    ~ Mike B.

Sonic Blue 1 of 354

Hidden Content

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Hidden Content section of the forum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

I use Valvoline Racing oil, but whatever make sure it has all the additives. Also Napa gold or Wix oil filters, (they are the same) no Fram, junk. The good diesel oils have the good stuff in them as well. The topic has been discussed at length here so you should be able to look it up. Being an older engine I think the flushing is a good idea. Just dont get carried away with the gas pedal. Let it idle mostly, just vary rpms, no red lining! until hot maybe a few times, then drain it and put the good oil and filter on her. Zinc is one of the additives thats important to these old engines.
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

I think cleaning and inspecting the oil pan is a good idea too. Gives you a chance to get a good look. They have good new gaskets that are somewhat crush proof and so far no leaks for me. Inspect the pan edge for over tight bolts and straighten it out and of course clean all the old gasket. You might have to order so call ahead. The Napa here has next day and sometime same day delivery on parts.
    Im sure some more knowledgable than me will chime in but oil and filter are important. Scott, Itow, did a real good comparison on filters and the differance was surprising and eye opening to say the least. Autolites were good as well as a few others but Wix is the best.
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

I think a Boss 429 dipstick sold on ebay a few years ago for around $600.00
    I wonder what your Boss 302 would sell for. Probably not close to 600.00, but I'd think for sure someone out there would love to have that dipstick.

Mike, I would also suggest removing the valve covers and cleaning the sludge out of them as well, the PO of my car only changed his oil once a yr and the valve covers had about a half inch of crap in them. As for oil I use either Rotella 5w30 or Joe Gibbs Racing oil, they both have the zinc additives.
    Hidden Content Currently in the Stable: 69 Mercury Cougar - cruiser/show car, Donut maker, "Now with A/C & fuel injection" 10 Maxima SV- Mom's loaner car from Dad, 15 F150 Lariat SuperCab - Dad's Truck, 16 Suzuki Burgman 650 - Dad's 2 wheeled Toy

the oils of old did have a tendancy to sludge on high interval changes.....plus as we know these cars aren't super efficient on burning things like todays cars, so 3k is still a good interval to stick to. Myabe more often if your compression is lower. Look at the plug conditions too Mike - see what that tells ya....

Interesting notes on the dipstick - guess it makes sense that a drag pack car with oil cooler would use a bit more oil......neat!
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips and info fellahs!

Engine only has about 1000 miles on it since rebuild, but spread over 5 years. Looking at the oil, I'm thinking it hasnt' been changed since it was rebuilt :-/

Plugs haven't looked bad so far. Gaps have all been about 0.030, which is tighter than book spec of 0.035, but I'm gonna leave them at that for now (one less change if I need to troubleshoot issues). I can tell the plugs have low miles on them - almost no wear. They almost all show a light dust of carbon, which I think is consistant with it being idled in and out of a workshop for the last few months.
    So I've been cleaning them up and peeking into the cylinders as I go. So far they all look about like the plugs - light carbon build up.
    ~ Mike B.

Sonic Blue 1 of 354

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitaker View Post
    I think a Boss 429 dipstick sold on ebay a few years ago for around $600.00
    I wonder what your Boss 302 would sell for. Probably not close to 600.00, but I'd think for sure someone out there would love to have that dipstick.
    Larry, the 70 Boss 302 dipsticks are not that expensive, but the 69''s are pure gold.
    faster cars, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

55 T-Bird
    67 cougar street rod
    68 427 GTE Nordic blue
    69 428 S.C.J. Eliminator comp. orange white int.
    70 Boss 302 Eliminator. Comp. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by towcat View Post
    Larry, the 70 Boss 302 dipsticks are not that expensive, but the 69''s are pure gold.
    I'd be interested to know why if you have the time to tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitaker View Post
    I'd be interested to know why if you have the time to tell us.
    The oil level was raised 1 quart in 1970. If you have the 69 dipstick you can compensate by just adding a quart over full and scribing a line on the dipstick. The '69 dipstick is chrome with a flattened handle. The '70 dipstick is chrome with a tubular handle. There are two versions of the '70 dipstick the second version includes the additional quart of oil when it indicates full.
    Last edited by 1969XR7Vert; December 29th, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
    faster cars, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

55 T-Bird
    67 cougar street rod
    68 427 GTE Nordic blue
    69 428 S.C.J. Eliminator comp. orange white int.
    70 Boss 302 Eliminator. Comp. Gold

Quote Originally Posted by towcat View Post
    For screwed up on the 69 Boss dipsticks, and changed them as soon as they caught it.

The oil level was raised 1 quart in 1970. If you have the 69 dipstick you can compensate by just adding a quart over full and scribing a line on the dipstick. The '69 dipstick is chrome with a flattened handle. The '70 dipstick is chrome with a tubular handle. There are two versions of the '70 dipstick the second version includes the additional quart of oil when it indicates full.
    Interesting. Thank you