428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

Thread: 428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

Blog Entries

428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

Hey Fellahs,

I'm technically competent / able to turn a wrench correctly, but lacking in experience. Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

My 428SCJ Eliminator finally made it into my garage (more on that later). I did pick up a set of 1970 Ford manuals (5 book set), so it has given me the basic answers, but I'm running into "oddities" expected on a 43yo car thats been fiddled with over the years.

1) Spark Plugs: BSF42C are installed, which I understand is appropriate. I'm finding the gaps are all at about 0.030" (tighter than the 0.035" spec in the book).

- The heads have received hardened valve seats, and the pistons were changed to lower the compression for modern gas. Would this require the tighter plug gaps?

- There is also quite a bit of oily build up around the plug holes and of course on the plugs themselves. This doesn't seem normal to me, but I'm new to this. I'm going through and cleaning all the gunk off as I go. Any issues I should be checking on this?

2) Oil Pan: my factory oil pan is pretty dented in on the bottom side.

- Is it at all feasible to pull the pan and gently masage it back into some semblance of a pan shape? Or just don't worry about it?

- If I do pull the pan, will I be required to replace the pan gasket, or are they generally reusable if treated gently?

Thanks in advance fellahs!
    ~ Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
    Sonic Blue 1 of 354

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
    1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Hidden Content section of the forum!

Re: 428SCJ Tech Questions - Need some tips / guidance please

unless your are going to race your cougar stock plug gap should be fine. the modifications were made to run on todays pump gas. depending on the size of the dents in the oil pan, if the are dings your should be fine. if they are large dents you might consider a new pan. even gently tapping the pan back to shape is going to weaken the metal, as to the oil pan gasket, unless it is brand new it would make sense to just replace it, chances are it might not come off in one piece. now this is only my opinion. someone else might say otherwise

If the oil pan is very misshappen, your dip stick may not be accurate. A BF32 or 42 plug is fine, and you can play with the gaps, but changing plugs (as you know) if REAL fun. Agree that the gasket should be changed.
    Hidden Content Remembering our friend Tom Lawrance...

1969 Standard Hardtop 428 SCJ, Q-code, 41,000 miles, former pure stock drag car
    1969 XR-7 Convertible 428 CJ, R-code, 82,000 miles, DSO 84 with a/c,
    1969 XR-7 Convertible 351W 4V, M-code, 73,000 miles, with a/c
    1969 Hertz Eliminator with Sunroof, M-code, project with a/c
    1969 Mach 1 428 SCJ, 4 speed, factory heater delete, 79,000 miles, 1 of 3

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Thanks Fellahs,

Joe, that's one thing I'm worried about ~ the pan throwing off the dipstick. Bad enough I have a Boss302 dipstick in a 428cj, but add a fairly dented up bottom of the oil pan, and a dipstick tube that's been through who-knows-what... Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about the oil! LOL!

Yeah, I'm enjoying those plugs! Got the passenger side checked last night. Now I'm gonna check out the drivers side ~ looks like they have even less clearance, so they should be a good time.
    ~ Mike B.

Sonic Blue 1 of 354

Hidden Content

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Hidden Content section of the forum!

When you change oil and put the correct amount back in look and see where the oil tops out on the dipstick. You can mark it if the spot is different than the factory mark or just remember where full is.

The plug to the rear is the worst but not that bad. Just use the plug socket with a good long open end to break it loose, box end if you can get it on is better. About a half hour on my 68.
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

Just use a 2 blocks of wood to straighten out that pan. One under and another to beat on. The beater, about a 16" or so 2x4 will work real good. No big deal and its pretty tough. I doubt you will weaken it. Just make sure you clean out any wood chips along with the rest of the gunk. You DO NOT want any debris left in that pan.
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

Don't forget a good supplly of band-aids! ;>) Yeah, there no fun to get at. It's amazing that big of a mill even fits huh! If that pan has never been off (or not in a long time) she will be stuck preety good. Yeah they are pretty heavy steel you should be able to tap it back out without to much trouble. Check that the mounting flange remains true/square before you put it back on though.....if you think it's warped - you may want to scrounge for a better one.
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B_SVT View Post
    Thanks Fellahs,

Joe, that's one thing I'm worried about ~ the pan throwing off the dipstick. Bad enough I have a Boss302 dipstick in a 428cj, but add a fairly dented up bottom of the oil pan, and a dipstick tube that's been through who-knows-what... Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about the oil! LOL!

Yeah, I'm enjoying those plugs! Got the passenger side checked last night. Now I'm gonna check out the drivers side ~ looks like they have even less clearance, so they should be a good time.
    With 3 428 cars, I've become good at plugs- what I found was that a 3/8" swivel head rachet with an angled handle works great- I have an old Snap On and when I get home i can check the #. Also, don't forget the old trick of using a piece of vacuum tubing over the end of the plug once its loose to turn it and pull it out. Saves on cursing.

Blog Entries

Thanks Joe and everyone! Plugs are all in good shape with just a little carbon. Wasn't as bad as I thought, pulling them. Took me forever though cuz I'm a "noob" :-)
    Was easier pulling off the valve covers ~ which needed to be done too.
    ~ Mike B.

Sonic Blue 1 of 354

Hidden Content

Mike- sorry about the delay, and I know you already pulled the plugs, but the ratchet is a Matco BR11SP.

Blog Entries

Thanks Joe!
    ~ Mike B.

Sonic Blue 1 of 354

Hidden Content

Thread Information