1967 Cougar Auto-x/ Street terrorizer build
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1967 Cougar Auto-x/ Street terrorizer build

1967 Cougar Auto-x/ Street terrorizer build

Hello, my name is Logan and like many of you a die hard car enthusiast. I actually live cars everyday, as I own and operate a company called Defined Autoworks. We primarily build imports and race cars out of imports (rear drive only of course). But as time goes on you develop a quest for something different. For me it was classic muscle. About 5 years ago while at a classic car show, I was really "hit" by the Cougar. I always knew of them but it was that moment I had to have one..... and the story starts!

So finally after a long 2 year search I found a nice 67 for the right price, and the right condition. Since you guys now know a rough background on me, it was important to NOT get a pristine Cougar. With a full fabrication shop at my fingertips I had no intention of keeping the Cougar totally stock. I already have built quite the full race car- A 1994 Mazda Rx7.

Powered by a naturally aspirated 2.0 liter 3 rotor engine, at 10k rpm made 480 to the wheels. Now its going to a 4 rotor engine, and shooting for 700hp, but that is another subject!

So after bringing the new Cougar home, I began to get it all in order. The bad stuff-
    The rear had "add a leafs", the solid axle mounts were bent (which killed the driveshaft u-joints) the differential was welded, it had a very ugly tunnel ram hood scoop, and the front was lifted too. Whew! Lots of work!

After getting some lowering springs and taking off the rear leafs, getting a nice stock rear end it sat much better. Removing the fiberglass hood scoop took time. After lots of sanding, a nice black stripe, and a factory hood scoop here is how it looked-

Now that it sat nice, it was a fun car to drive! Luckily it already had a T5 tranny conversion. Unluckily it had a terribly fabricated clutch pedal and cable system. Using a clutch pedal from another car, I quickly made a unit to fit the factory hang assembly. Now it didnt take 500lbs of force to shift. Sweet!

So one day starring at my race car, and looking at the cougar, the wheels started to turn. Well the wheels mostly was the subject because I wondered if the race car hoosiers would fit the Cougar. 10 mins later, they all fit. Hmmm impressive. Not impressive is running 315's of slick without any suspension reinforcements! So began the custom work.

Here is the custom mount I made to tie the panhard bar directly to the axle. If some of this looks strange its because its all based on my experience in the race industry. It was all "seat of the pants" fabrication, and was intended to be made quickly. (We dont get much free time to ourselves!)

A panhard bar will put a lot of force through components. So I fully triangulated the axle mount. This will transfer all that force through the axle, not the U-bolts and leaf spring assembly.

Here is the chassis side mount. Again triangulated and cross bar going from frame rail to frame rail.

Here is the assembly without the bar bolted on.

Now that the axle was located left and right, it was time to make sure it didnt twist. I didnt want to put very much money into the project (Rx7 race car takes most of that) so stock leafs had to stay for now. So I did something pretty controversial. I built a torque arm and kept the leafs.

Here it is done and painted, I am bad on the step by step photos.

Then welded on upper and lower tabs for the torque arm directly to the axle. This puts no force through the pinion snout. I felt it was a more stable design.

Re: 1967 Cougar Auto-x/ Street terrorizer build

Nice work. Where are you located?
    Hidden Content Old Wood 69 Shelby Cougar ( Thats my story and I"m sticking to it. lol) 68 1/2 428CJ

Nice work indeed! Welcome!
    67 XR7, 68 5 SP, 69 5 speed build in progress Hidden Content Hidden Content

*Disclaimer!! All info provided by the woodsnake is free, and worth what it costs!! Use with caution*

What can I say, I like Cougars...
    " yer darn right wow "
    All my projects, pictures and audio clips.
    Hidden Content

"Time to let the Cougar loose" R.B.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, I am located in Groveport Ohio

Then up front, I tied the frame rails together and added the front mount tabs to the tube. While in there, added tubing to connect the front and rear frame rails along with some nice 1" cross structure for more rigidity.

Then I quickly realized the 315's had no clearance on the inside. So out came the wheel tubs and that started the mini-tubs. Sure I could buy some, but we are a full race shop. So why? haha

Then looking inside, I didnt like the factory stamped steel rear triangulation. So some quick 1/8" plates and 1" tubing formed the new brace.

Looks good, welcome aboard!

nice work but i would love to see some more pictures of your work and some of when you first got it. welcome to cougars
    1968 mercury cougar- got it in 20 boxes

Then up front, I tied the frame rails together and added the front mount tabs to the tube. While in there, added tubing to connect the front and rear frame rails along with some nice 1" cross structure for more rigidity.

Then I quickly realized the 315's had no clearance on the inside. So out came the wheel tubs and that started the mini-tubs. Sure I could buy some, but we are a full race shop. So why? haha

I wanna do a similar setup on my 67 so be warned im watching you.I might copy a few things too I dig you fab skills she looks good
    67 cougar standard 351w holley 750 c4 8" 4 point cage
    06 f350 psd 4x4 crew cab
    76 f150 351m c6 twin stick 205 tons 42"irocks gm tbi exo cage

I got a co-worker who's a die hard RX7 fan.....he'd like to check out that beast I bet! Welcome to the the XR7 world though! ok even if it's a standard you know what I mean! It's funny how the auto correct/spell checkers want you to be RX7 - lol Interesting blend on the suspension - Good to see somebody with a torch and not afraid to use it!
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

I'm surprised that you kept the rubber leaf spring isolator sandwich mount to the rear axle. That's the first thing we eliminated on my Cougar that got turned into a performance car - mine is straight-line, not road course.
    Milo Swanson
    CCOA #1478

AlphaCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - modified for street/strip
    Beta Cat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - stock
    PartsCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-2V - bought for parts/pattern for reassembling other disassembled Cats
    PartsCat2 - '73 standard hardtop, 351C-2V FMX automatic. Another parts cat to be used to 'rebody' BetaCat

70 Mach 1 351C-4V automatic (wife's car!)
    66 Comet Caliente 289-2V automatic
    96 Crown Vic LX HPP - POS winter beater
    89 Crown Vic LX 393 stroker - my new daily driver/sleeper
    97 F-250HD XLT ext cab - Tow rig
    04 Crown Vic LX Sport - Wife's new daily driver

Hidden Content

Any progress on this I sure would like to see it
    67 cougar standard 351w holley 750 c4 8" 4 point cage
    06 f350 psd 4x4 crew cab
    76 f150 351m c6 twin stick 205 tons 42"irocks gm tbi exo cage