introducing myself and the machine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: introducing myself and the machine

introducing myself and the machine

hi guys , ive been lurking on this sight off an on for the last couple years and figured would introduce myself since i will be starting my project here VERY soon. im gonna have a fair bit of questions as things progress lol.

as for the car, i picked up a '67 GT a few years ago for a pretty good deal (traded my 2000 cbr600f4 stuntbike and 700 cash).

the good : The body is very straight but has a few spots of cancer under the rear window that need to be addressed. it was originally a cali car so im hoping the floorboards are gonna be just fine when i pull out the carpet. it seems it just needs a good going through an some tlc but otherwise a good foundation to start with. the motor was recently rebuilt (390FE) and a shift kit put in the tranny (C6). it also has a nice aftermarket aluminum radiator in it. a brand new carpet, headliner, and seat skins were all sitting in the trunk when i opened it!

now the bad: it was not running at the time of purchase as the current owner was not the one who rebuilt it... i dragged her home and rebuilt a edelbrock carb i had laying around, threw in a points eliminater kit and fed the fuel pump from a 5 gal jug to make sure i was getting clean fuel and after some timing work i had it running.

BUT here is where the it gets bad lol. the so called shift kit is absolutely rediculous, it feels like a full race affair. there is so much line pressure when you shift from park to drive the passenger fender damn near slaps the ground. that nice aftermarket radiator was only bailing wired in so it got slightly shaved by the flex fan when the wire loosened up. and the rebuilt motor? well... after the second time i started her up it started to develop a slight stutter. at first i thought it was timing related and went about fiddling with that. the more i ran it the worse it got till it was consistently huffing out the carb . im not new to turning a wrench and i could see the writing in the sand. i have not tore out the motor yet but my money is on finding a few bent pushrods, collapsed lifters, wiped lobes, etc. i theorize that the prior owner attempted to hot rod the cougar and even though he had the money to buy the parts he didnt have the knowledge to do it up right. i guessing he threw in some high comp pistons, shaved the heads maybe, and threw a cam at it but didnt think to figure out the correct pushrod length. or maybe he didnt run in the cam properly

the plans: im wanting to do a streetfighter, pro-touring type build on the cat. i wont lie progress on this will be pretty slow and im going to try to do it stages and try not to bite off too much to chew at once so to say.

ultimately im wanting a survival motorsports jailbreak longblock breathing through either a lysholm supercharger or possibly a STS style twin hairdryer setup. still debating if i want to swap in a 6 speed or just go to a AODE auto. as for suspension setup..thinking tci front and rear with coil overs sittin on 19's in the rear and 18's up front..lol we will see anyway

pics to follow.

Re: introducing myself and the machine

what it looked like when i dragged the cat home.

as you can see it looked rough but it was just multicolored the body was actually very straight upon inspection almost no dents anywhere. i called it my calico kitty lol

Well, you rescued that one from some red kneck Rickey Racer didn't you! Sounds like you got your work cut out for you - slow progress is WAY better than no progress anyway. Welcome and keep up posted.
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

here is how kitty looked when i dragged it home:

that's weird. tried to post some pics from photobucket but got a "pending moderator's approval message"...what gives?

lets try this again...

here it is when i dragged it home:

lets try this again...

here it is when i dragged it home:

i called it my calico kitty lol

cab a mod help me out here please? i tried post the pics again but i guess my account must not have that privilege yet.

SItes been having issues for a few days - give it chace asn see what happens tomorrow
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

Yes, the site has been having issues recently. But since you're a new guy, you have to await an approval process by the Mod before you can post the pics.

Oh and welcome!
    Hidden Content
    Mark
    '68 XR-7 351W C6 3:50 1 of 1

Anyone can restore a Classic, but it takes a Real Man to cut one up!

Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East

Reserved parking at the Hidden Content .
    First Official "Ride Of The Month" at Hidden Content
    Illegally parked on the Hidden Content

thanks for the welcome guys, i just saw the "can not connect" thread so no worries. ill try to post the pics in a couple days.

nothing spectacular anyway, just what it looked like when i dragged it home lol. it was five different colors so for a while i called it my calico cat. i did sand it all down and put a quickie primer job on it to get it all one uniform color till i could manage to really start working on it. one weekend i got bored and did a quick rallye stripe on it that you guys might like. got a few pics of that as well.

localhero - not to sound like a kiss-ass but i will be very happy if my car turns out half as nice as yours. your build is in line with what i would like to accomplish with mine.

Oh don't sell yourself short. Your parts list is much loftlier than mine ever was.

I'm anxious to see your progress regardless of how slow.
    Hidden Content
    Mark
    '68 XR-7 351W C6 3:50 1 of 1

Anyone can restore a Classic, but it takes a Real Man to cut one up!

Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East

Reserved parking at the Hidden Content .
    First Official "Ride Of The Month" at Hidden Content
    Illegally parked on the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Oh don't sell yourself short... I'm anxious to see your progress regardless of how slow.
    OK Mark, I get the hint...

53 weeks until I retire and can spend unlimited time (but little money) on finally finishing my Cats! I may be slow, but I'm old, too! LOL!!!
    Milo Swanson
    CCOA #1478

AlphaCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - modified for street/strip
    Beta Cat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - stock
    PartsCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-2V - bought for parts/pattern for reassembling other disassembled Cats
    PartsCat2 - '73 standard hardtop, 351C-2V FMX automatic. Another parts cat to be used to 'rebody' BetaCat

70 Mach 1 351C-4V automatic (wife's car!)
    66 Comet Caliente 289-2V automatic
    96 Crown Vic LX HPP - POS winter beater
    89 Crown Vic LX 393 stroker - my new daily driver/sleeper
    97 F-250HD XLT ext cab - Tow rig
    04 Crown Vic LX Sport - Wife's new daily driver

Hidden Content

Welcome Mountain Cat,...a '67 GT ..very cool. BTW in on or near which mountain is your Cat residing?
    Hidden Content

2006 Mustang Pony Pkg
    2005 YZ 250
    2002 350 Warrior
    1969 xr7 3 speed
    1967 xr7
    1957 3100
    1947 8n

Quote Originally Posted by 67.5xr7 View Post
    Welcome Mountain Cat,...a '67 GT ..very cool. BTW in on or near which mountain is your Cat residing?
    yep it a 67 GT S-code, factory AC too, and as far as i can tell its should be number matching. gotta make sure and check the block and head casting when i pull the motor out. As for the area, more like mountain range. i live in a mining town (elko, nv) we are pretty close to the rubies. the area is all high desert out here. i was going to choose the moniker "desert cat" but it was already taken lol. i actually work at one of the mines out here as a underground miner. if you want to make money in this town that is generally where you end up at lol. right now i'm in the haulage dept (cat AD30, DUX 26ton) but have been thinking of transferring over to the blast crew.

Thread Information