hi guys , ive been lurking on this sight off an on for the last couple years and figured would introduce myself since i will be starting my project here VERY soon. im gonna have a fair bit of questions as things progress lol.
as for the car, i picked up a '67 GT a few years ago for a pretty good deal (traded my 2000 cbr600f4 stuntbike and 700 cash).
the good : The body is very straight but has a few spots of cancer under the rear window that need to be addressed. it was originally a cali car so im hoping the floorboards are gonna be just fine when i pull out the carpet. it seems it just needs a good going through an some tlc but otherwise a good foundation to start with. the motor was recently rebuilt (390FE) and a shift kit put in the tranny (C6). it also has a nice aftermarket aluminum radiator in it. a brand new carpet, headliner, and seat skins were all sitting in the trunk when i opened it!
now the bad: it was not running at the time of purchase as the current owner was not the one who rebuilt it... i dragged her home and rebuilt a edelbrock carb i had laying around, threw in a points eliminater kit and fed the fuel pump from a 5 gal jug to make sure i was getting clean fuel and after some timing work i had it running.
BUT here is where the it gets bad lol. the so called shift kit is absolutely rediculous, it feels like a full race affair. there is so much line pressure when you shift from park to drive the passenger fender damn near slaps the ground. that nice aftermarket radiator was only bailing wired in so it got slightly shaved by the flex fan when the wire loosened up. and the rebuilt motor? well... after the second time i started her up it started to develop a slight stutter. at first i thought it was timing related and went about fiddling with that. the more i ran it the worse it got till it was consistently huffing out the carb . im not new to turning a wrench and i could see the writing in the sand. i have not tore out the motor yet but my money is on finding a few bent pushrods, collapsed lifters, wiped lobes, etc. i theorize that the prior owner attempted to hot rod the cougar and even though he had the money to buy the parts he didnt have the knowledge to do it up right. i guessing he threw in some high comp pistons, shaved the heads maybe, and threw a cam at it but didnt think to figure out the correct pushrod length. or maybe he didnt run in the cam properly
the plans: im wanting to do a streetfighter, pro-touring type build on the cat. i wont lie progress on this will be pretty slow and im going to try to do it stages and try not to bite off too much to chew at once so to say.
ultimately im wanting a survival motorsports jailbreak longblock breathing through either a lysholm supercharger or possibly a STS style twin hairdryer setup. still debating if i want to swap in a 6 speed or just go to a AODE auto. as for suspension setup..thinking tci front and rear with coil overs sittin on 19's in the rear and 18's up front..lol we will see anyway
pics to follow.