67 Cougar Build

Thread: 67 Cougar Build

67 Cougar Build

Finally made time to get over to Georgia and pick up the car. 67, manual 3 speed, 289, factory ac.

Main plans include new paint, dealing with any rust/body issues I find along the way, new wheels/tires, T5 swap, and I want to raise the suspension a tad. I think it's been lowered from stock. I live in Louisiana and upon hitting bumps on our notorious roads I've gotten some rub from the back tires on the fender. Not something I want to continue. Any suggestions on products? The current wheels are 14's and I plan to upgrade to 16's. I've been going back and forth on power steering. I have the factory set up to install but I know the work out I get in town doesn't hurt!

I figured I would go ahead and start a build thread as I plan to start working bit by bit as my schedule allows.

The current paint has a TON of flake in it and that just isn't the look I want for this car. It belongs more on a bass boat than a cougar in my opinion. I plan to start pulling pieces individually and begin stripping and priming.

I've been reading that media blasting and epoxy primer are the route to take. What I'm wondering is if aircraft stripper will suffice and I can sand blast if I encounter some bad rust areas.. I'm not a paint and body man generally but figure I can at least begin prepping it for paint to save some cash.

Going to be some work but I'm thankful to have found a car that is solid to begin with so I can drive while working.
    Last edited by SavantJK; October 19th, 2011 at 10:09 AM.

Re: 67 Cougar Build

Yes, aircraft stripper will work but it stinks to high heaven and is a very messy job. Media blasting is the best and fastest way to strip a car.

Good luck on your restoration.
    Jeff Bingaman
    Hidden Content

1970 Standard Sunroof
    1956 Ford F100
    1960 Dodge Phoenix (My 1st car)
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    2017 F150 Platinum

Hidden Content

I had no idea that John was selling his car. John is a very nice guy, and I am sure you were happy in your dealings with him.

For those that haven't seen it in person, the paint is flakier than it looks in pictures. I think that was the main thing John disliked about it. It is a pretty solid car though, and seemed to be in pretty good shape.

For the paint and primer, I would find a local supplier that carries the top shelf brands, like PPG or DuPont, and go with what they recommend for a system. Just make sure you stick to one line or brand.

For stripping, I like the stripper discs they sell at Home Depot that go on an angle grinder. Chemical strippers are nasty and can ruin anything they touch. With the mechanical stuff it is more or less just cleaning up dust, plus it etches the metal, giving the primer more to stick to. I am going to bare metal on mine as well and am using epoxy primer. I like it because it seals the surface and doesn't allow moisture to penetrate like other primers do.

If you aren't going back to original, have a look at converting to a power rack and pinion setup.

The front suspension looks normal, but the rear is likely just lost the spring arch. New springs are easy to come by, but I don't know the best brand for you. If you like the lowered look, you could leave them alone and correct the rubbing with the new wheels. It looks like the wheels on it are the incorrect backspacing, and that is probably the actual issue.

All in all, there is loads of great advise and knowledgeable folks here, and all are more than willing to share their experiences. I know I have received much help, as much as I hate to ask for it. Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing progress pictures and reading about yours triumphs.
    Hidden Content
    Mike Cole

70 XR7 351C temporary rat build in progress (found here Hidden Content )

97 F-250 Powerstroke (Now totaled, thanks to a texting jackass)

97 F-350 Powerstroke 4 door, soon to be as nice as the last one

68 BSA Lightning 650 racer project

05 Harley FLHT hot rod bagger

71 Bronco trail rig project/daily driver

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Great project to start with. As you may know sandblasting can warp metal. If you do get it sandblasted make sure they know what they are doing. Be careful especially on the hood and trunk lid. Those seem to warp the easiest. As far as primer you're on the right track. PPG DPs epoxy primer are the best I've used and highly recommended by auto body pros. There is a lot of right ways and wrong ways to do body work so research and don't hesitate to ask questions. Good luck with the project.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by 1970fastcat View Post
    I had no idea that John was selling his car. John is a very nice guy, and I am sure you were happy in your dealings with him.
    John has indeed been a great guy to deal with. We have very similar plans for the car and I believe he was glad to see it go to someone who will carry those out. The paint does contain an incredible amount of flake and it is also inconsistent.. heavier in some areas and lighter in others.. the hood being the most noticeable. John wanted to take it to a dark color and that is just what I intend to do. I told him I'd be sure to keep in touch with progress notes and he is welcome to take the car out for a spin if ever in the La area.

Other than the paint, it looks nice. Just from personal experience, don't sandblast any of your body parts....wait that didn't sound good...the car!...body parts...(afterthought) as well as yours. The Cougar exterior parts are in short order and I would never trust them to ANY sandblaster. As stated earlier, you need a media blaster not sand. I had a real nice straight hood ruined by someone "who could just turn the pressure down and it would be fine". I could see the X member from the top! I'm slowly working on my '67 and having alot of fun rebuilding it I hope you do too. Best of luck.
    32 5-w coupe, 63 Falcon vert, 65 2+2, 66 Mustang vert, 67 Cougar, 72 Ranchero GT, 76 highboy 4x4, 94 Mark VIII

Thanks!

After stripping the trunk I found a sizable patch of filler on the rear portion. Probably about 6-8" wide and thicker than the recommended 1/4".. I'd say 1/2" or so..maybe a little more.. I found a salvage yard about an hour away that caters to 64.5-73 mustangs and luckily they had a few cougars in the lot. Picked up a trunk lid with just a small amount of surface rust for $120 which I didn't deem too bad considering prices I'd seen on the web. No large dents.. maybe 2 or 3 pings about the size of a penny. Stripping it today and hopefully priming tomorrow. Hood also has a pretty large bondo patch..Haven't scraped it to find what's underneath yet or how thick yet.

Don't know your location but finding a yard with cougars has to be rare. Unless it WCCC parts yard. Any chance you could get vin #'s and post them so they can be put in the Cougar database.
    Steven
    Hidden Content
    1967 6.5 Litre
    Dan Gurney Special

Hidden Content

I'll see what I can do. I'm about an hour away from it but will make another trip soon enough. The cars are pretty stripped down.. but I did see a take-off hood with cowl mounting holes drilled and it appeared to be an eliminator outline.. unfortunately the scoop was not there.. and I had to get back to work so I didn't have a chance to see which car it was pulled from.

Thread Information