Bay area alignment shop recommendations

Thread: Bay area alignment shop recommendations

Bay area alignment shop recommendations

I'm looking for a recommendation on a really good alignment shop in the Bay Area. I would prefer a shop somewhere between Hayward and Richmond, but I am open to any suggestions.

I recently took my '67 in for an alignment and I left really unsatisfied. I asked them to set the camber to -0.5, caster to +2.5 and the toe in to 1/16". They got the toe in right, they maxed out the caster +2.1 and set the camber to +0.5 and +0.7. I expressed to them that this was not okay. They said the Global West Eccentric Eliminators would not allow them to set the camber to -0.5. The next setting on the plates was -1.1. I don't believe the steps between positions camber settings almost 2 degrees! Now, my car rises up and wanders on the freeway, which is caused having a positive camber.

When I got it home and out of the rain, I checked the sign of the camber with a bubble level and found that one side was clearly positive and the other side was clearly negative! Yes, my garage floor under my front tires is level. I'm looking for a shop that is willing to shim the upper control arms in order to get the camber right. Thanks is advance.

Re: Bay area alignment shop recommendations

if you want a really good shop to do your old cougar with modern alignment specs , go to clarks wheel and frame in roseville--absolutely the best in the west---he did my stock suspension (one coil cut) 68 and i could feel the difference going out the driveway---i think your specs are kinda right on except for the toe---i'd run 1/16 toe out---thats what i asked for and he got a twinkle in his eye---apparently alot of new car are using toe out---try this guy , its worth the drive
    doctordesoto

For now, I picked up a digital level from Home Depot and set the camber myself. I didn't even have to shim the upper control arms. The eccentric eliminator plates have plenty of adjustment. What a difference! I have a little more work on the front suspension planned (Opentracker roller upper control arms and Maier coil springs). Once I have the front end in its final configuration, I'll make the trip out to Roseville. Thanks for the recommendation.

BTW, I got my specs from these two places
    http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/tech/
    and
    http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/suspension101.html#3
    Adam
    Stray Cats #371
    1967 Standard

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Try Ace auto in San Ramon they got my 68 straight as an arrow for $125.00, they have a tech who is their go to guy for all the old schools.

Ace Auto Absolutely!! I've used Ace for ~10yrs. Tom, Jeff & Dave - great guys & know their old car stuff. Sounds like Paul uses them, too. They're on San Ramon Valley Boulevard just off Crow Canyon at the corner of Norris & San Ramon Valley Boulevard.

how did it turn out?

I took it back to the guys at Auto Tire Options in Berkeley, because the alignment was under warranty. I told them they need to figure out how to use the GW eccentric lock out plates, because there are enough settings. I don't know how many times I explained it to them. I also told them that if they can't get the caster I want, then need to shim the front upper control arm bolt. They were able to set the Caster to +2.5, Camber to -0.2 and toe in to 3/16. It felt so much better. That was about a month ago. I haven't driven my Cougar much since then.

Unfortunately, I found two cracks in my shock towers this week originating from the front upper control arm bolts on both sides. I'm not blaming anyone. Shock towers tend to crack. Plus, I don't trust them to fix it without breaking something else. I really hate taking my car to the mechanic. It seems that for every good one, there are at least 50 bad ones. And these guys were recommended by Steve Gauthier from Classics by Steve. Now the front suspension has to come apart again so that I can weld in the Pro Motorsports Shock Tower Reenforcement kit. I just wish I had seen it while I was welding up my subframe connectors. I could have done it all at the same time. <sigh>
    Adam
    Stray Cats #371
    1967 Standard

Thread Information