Jim Morrison's Shelby

Thread: Jim Morrison's Shelby

Jim Morrison's Shelby

I just saw a documentary on The Doors as part of the 'American Experience' series on PBS. I had seen some Doors concert films before, but there was a lot of footage that I had never seen before. I recommend it for fans of the band or just as a historical timepiece.

Among the footage was JM tearing it up in a '67 Shelby GT500, Nightmist Blue w/ Parchment interior and a 4 speed. He was hammering on it in the desert and cruising the So-Cal highways. Not suprisingly, he's swiggin booze a lot of the time too. Its cool to see the other cars on the roads, filmed ca. 1969. There was one scene where the editors cheated however- because magically, the '67 GT500 turned into a '66 Fastback on a couple long shots....d'oh!

I immediately wondered whatever happened to this car, and if found, how much $$$ would that sucker be worth?

I found a Shelby page with some info, including a pic of the car's registration card with the VIN blacked out. Some accounts suggest he abandoned the car on the Strip after a wreck, or he left it at LAX while on tour and the car was towed away. But according to Robby Krieger, Jim really loved the car, wrecked it 4 or 5 times (big surprise ), but the last time he wrecked it the body shop said it was a total loss.

Whether or not you are a fan, I think it would be pretty cool for Rock & Shelby history if this car somehow survived.

Does anybody have any Marti or SAAC reg. info or a book that would say how many Nightmist Blue/ Parchment / 4speed (w/CA smog most likely) Shelby GT500's were built? What would the VIN look like?

Who knows, maybe "there's a killer [car] on the road"....

Last edited by Sunroof69; May 13th, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
    Past Cats: '69 Std. w/sunroof, 69 XR7, '67 XR7, '68 Std., '70 Std.
    I fabricate handmade Halloween costumes at:

Hidden Content

there is alot of footage of Morrisons on Youtube...just do a search
    The car was destroyed way back in the day...
    http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5214.0
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    (clickable thumbnails)

1969 Eliminator 428 SCJ
    1967 Shelby GT 350 w/ PAXTON
    1968 Cougar XR7 428CJ
    1986 Mustang SVO

Very interesting? If someone knew it would in all likelihood be known?
    Hidden Content
    IDRILL4GASOIL
    1988 Porsche 911 Targa
    2001 Cross Country Volvo
    2005 XC90 Volvo
    69 XR7 GT

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCJcat View Post
    there is alot of footage of Morrisons on Youtube...just do a search
    The car was destroyed way back in the day...
    http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5214.0
    I found that above link also. Thanks for posting. The thing is... has anyone seen any proof that the car was destroyed? Was it reported to insurance co. or the State of CA as totaled? Did the bodyshop guy just keep the car and/or pay JM for parts value??

Hidden Content

Go to shelbymustang.com and read Bret's research into Morrison's car. He possibly has some leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof69 View Post
    ... has anyone seen any proof that the car was destroyed?
    Jimbo & the car are BOTH alive & well. Last I heard he was in Asheville, NC, & the car hasn't moved in YEARS. Ole Jim doesn't keep in touch the way he used to though...
    - Chris

'67 Cougar std - 4 speed conversion
    '69 Cougar XR-7 "R code" convertible
    '04 Suburban 4wd
    '06 Silverado 4wd 3/4 ton crew

My Gallery:

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Jim and his Shelby are crackin em off against Elvis and his Hemi Challenger!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ClawIt View Post
    Go to shelbymustang.com and read Bret's research into Morrison's car. He possibly has some leads.
    This is the link in the initial post.

Incidentally, I think Jim & Elvis picked up Bigfoot when they were in Scotland and then accidentally drove the Shelby into Loch Ness when Nessie shocked 'em by popping her head out of the loch an inopportune time.

Last edited by Sunroof69; May 13th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Hidden Content

The footage of Morrison thrashing his GT500 was remastered and is included in the new film called "When You're Strange"

http://whenyourestrangemovie.com/
    Last edited by propayne; May 14th, 2010 at 07:31 AM.

I read about the Shelby in one of my many books on The Doors. I don't remember exactly which one it was. Probably No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman*, but it could have been Riders On The Storm by John Densmore or maybe??, I have a few more.
    Anyway, the book does tell about Jim wrecking the car. I think it said that he referred to the car as "blue lady".

*I read somewhere that Danny Sugerman bought a 289 Cobra with his profits from the book, but he later had to get rid of it when he had money problems. Too bad Sugerman died (2005). He most likely knew a lot about the car's history.

I would think the shelby registry could shed some light. It was a 67 so it was built at Carrol's lax facility. Electra records I believe bought the car for Jim after the wildly successful first album. Here is the deal in 2010 everybody knows these cars have value.
    Even if the car was in someone's remote barn or garage a grandson or great grandson is going to tell the owner "Gee grandpa you know these cars are worth some money"

I believe Jim's registration is online with his Bev hills address. Get the vin and ask the
    shelby or mustang reg if someone has called in that tag.
    1967 Cougar first car 23yrs ago. Bought back 2009
    2000 Ranger Xlt 4x4 Super cab
    2007 Expedition EL Limited

Quote Originally Posted by propayne View Post
    The footage of Morrison thrashing his GT500 was remastered and is included in the new film called "When You're Strange"

http://whenyourestrangemovie.com/

Neat link Phillip. Thanks for posting it. Haven't seen a genuine service station in decades. Notice that the employee washed his windshield? And Jim, smoking near the gas pump!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitaker View Post
    I read about the Shelby in one of my many books on The Doors. I don't remember exactly which one it was. Probably No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman.

Yep, that was the book. I got the book off the shelf and found a few places where the Shelby is mentioned. There's no index, so I had to skim the book to find it.

Page 188 "He parked his car, a Shelby GT 500 Cobra (he never drove anything but American cars), in the lot of a topless bar next to The Doors' West Hollywood offices"
    Page 212 Jim went to the Troubadour bar, where after getting nearly too drunk to walk, he convinced one of the waitresses to leave with him. On the way to the car, nicknamed the Blue Lady, he was approached by two homosexuals.
    "Listen, that's not my trip," he said curtly. They continued to follow him and pushed their way into his car. Jim took off rapidly, pressed the accelerator to the floor, and wheeled onto Doheny Drive. He was on the wrong side of the road and speeding. There was a tree. There were screams, tires screeching, horns honking, and for some reason the car stopped when it hit the curb*. The doors flew open, the passengers were thrown to the ground unharmed, and Jim roared off into the night again.
    The waitress returned to the Troubadour to call a cab. Jim reappeared, screaming that she had to get into the car with (continued on page 213) him. She refused, he was too crazy, she said, and Jim sped off, ending his spree less than a mile away where he drove the Blue Lady into a tree* on Sunset Boulevard. He was transported unconscious, but otherwise unscathed, to his hotel room.
    Skip a paragraph
    No one was hurt and a few days later the car was towed to the repair shop in Beverly Hills."

*Which is it? did it stop at the curb, or did it hit the tree? Was it on Doheny,, or Sunset?

I think one of the members on here mentioned they bought a 67-68 500 for 200 bucks back in the 70's so Jim's shelby wasn't exactly the ark of the covenant. Not until the early 80's did these cars start to gain value. Lee marvin the actor of dirty dozen age had a 68kr convert that he gave to his gardner. Curious what happened to that snake.
    1967 Cougar first car 23yrs ago. Bought back 2009
    2000 Ranger Xlt 4x4 Super cab
    2007 Expedition EL Limited

Re: Jim Morrison's Shelby

Strange Days: Fla. Governor May Pardon Jim Morrison

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/ar..._lnk1%7C182997

Nov. 8) -- The music is just about over for Gov. Charlie Crist, but he may have one more noteworthy task left before leaving office: a pardon of fellow Floridian Jim Morrison for indecent exposure charges during a concert 41 years ago.

"Candidly, it's something that I haven't given a lot of thought to, but it's something I'm willing to look into in the time I have left," Crist told Washington, D.C.'s The Hill newspaper. "Anything is possible.
    The lead singer of The Doors was by all accounts drunk by the time he got on stage at the Dinner Key Auditorium in Miami on March 1, 1969. A raucous concert ensued, even by Morrison standards, and a few days later he was charged with lewd and lascivious behavior, indecent exposure and profanity.

Morrison was found guilty of the latter two counts, and his case was on appeal when he was found dead of a suspected drug overdose in a bathtub in a Paris apartment on July 3, 1971.
    Fans have been pushing for a pardon of Morrison, arguing that there was never conclusive evidence that he exposed himself that night, according to The Hill. Crist himself acknowledged in 2007 that there was some doubt about the validity of the charges and said he would consider pardoning Morrison, who like him attended Florida State University, the newspaper said.

Thread Information