Lost and Found Previous Owners - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lost and Found Previous Owners

Quote Originally Posted by VMacKenzie View Post

69Eliminator when you were Cougar surfing on the 'net were you seriously car shopping or just browsing? What's the odds of finding your old car without really trying?? That's pretty cool. Once I tried to locate my first car I ever owned but I came up empty.
    I was just surfing to see what was out there, knowing mine had been totalled shortly after I'd sold it. As I'm restoring it now, I can see why it was totalled ... front RH frame badly bent, never been properly repaired, which we're replacing now along with almost all other body panels too.
    1969 Cougar Eliminator M Code 351W 4V FMX (Original owner)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Harry

Response received from previous owner.

I received an email from the previous owner that I sent the letter to a few days back. He gave me some good info. Here's what he sent:

"I first saw this car on the side of NM 313 with an for sale sign in the window. The person selling her had traded her for some body work on an mid 90's Cougar, he demanded $1200 for possession. He didn't have the title though, so we aproached the lady he had traded from to obtain the title. She refused to seek through her files though and refered us to her exhusband from whom she had won, in an divorce settlement, possession of the vehicle. In contacting him, he said there was nothing he could do to assist in obtaining the title. I then went to the New Mexico motor vehicle division and described my dilemma to them. They advised I needed to obtain an suretybond, an NCIC Vin inspection, and send the bearer of the title an registered letter advising that I was seeking to transfer the title to my name. With copys of all that I was able to apply for an title. While speaking with him I asked for some history of the car, he said he bought the car to build into an dragster. He said that he would put it on an trailer an haul her to our local drag strip to run the quarter-mile. The only thing I did to fix her up was have the transmission repaired and put in a new carburator. Also he said that he replaced the original engine with one from an 1969 Mustang. While I had her I really enjoyed driving her. She got rubber in all three gears, and moved so quickly it was a little scary. The only paper I have left on her is the application for title and registration. Another thing there might have been an white vinyl top originally. I bought the car in the mid 1990's and sold her in 2001 or '02,I hope you really enjoy restoring her and have many great drives in her. If there is any thing else I can do to help please ask, Thank you, Dylan."
    Photobucket stuff Hidden Content
    '67 Standard (Mom's car, now donor car); '67 GT (Replacement for Mom's car); '66 Mustang Coupe (Dad's car)

I Googled the original owner's information from the owner's manual and found a possible match - 92 year woman. Reading this thread got me thinking to try and contact the POs. The gentleman I bought the car from was about 60 in 1988 and I didn't ask any questions at the time of purchase. The only info I know is it was his son's car, but the title was in his name (seller).

So I think I will send off some snail mail and see if I can get a response from a family member.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Continuing search for PO's

Hey,
    Does anyone work for, or have a contact at State Farm Insurance? There's a remnant of an old State Farm sticker on my window. Thought maybe someone could run my VIN through the State Farm computer and see if a PO name pops up.
    '67 Standard (Mom's car, now donor car); '67 GT (Replacement for Mom's car); '66 Mustang Coupe (Dad's car)

No owner yet

I haven't found the original owner yet but I plan to try to locate him or family members after the winter. Trying to work on the car now. A few years ago I did drive my cat to Spruce Pine, North Carolina where my car was sold new. I spoke with the son of the salesman. His father had passed away just a couple years earlier. I showed him the paperwork his father had filled out. We exchanged email addresses and talked awhile. He said he really enjoyed seeing an old classic his father had sold and thought he had some old photos from around the time the cougars were new. I'm hoping he can find some. That would be nice to have. The original owner was living in Kings Mountain at the time. Like I said, I plan to look him up in a few months.
    67 6.5 Litre

I bought AlphaCat from a classified ad in the old SuperFord Magazine. The guy lived in the Dayton area, and I'm in the Cleveland area, so what's 200 miles to go look at a car, eh? Well, I bought it and drove it home in an ice storm - and the heater core blew. Just great! The car was absolutely bone stock, with paint that was getting a bit thin...

It took me a couple of years to get around to fixing the ravages of winter driving (rust) that I inflicted on the car since it was my daily driver... I got it painted just a couple of weeks before the big PFCA show in Columbus. Of course by this time it had a Torker intake, Holley, headers, different wheels, G-60-14 tires, scoop (pic in my gallery link below). It turns out that the P.O. attended that show along with his fiancee, and wondered if the car could be his old one - but I was nowhere around. Then he noticed the Cincinnati Reds decal in the back window, and that confirmed it to him. He waited around until I got back to talk to me. That's the last I heard from him.

One of my other Cats, the '72 Q-code 'vert that I parted out, had the original owner's name and address on the Protect-o-plate (warranty tag). I often thought about calling her, but never did. I still have the owner's manual and warranty tag from that one.
    Milo Swanson
    CCOA #1478

AlphaCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - modified for street/strip
    Beta Cat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-4V automatic - stock
    PartsCat - '73 XR-7 hardtop, 351C-2V - bought for parts/pattern for reassembling other disassembled Cats
    PartsCat2 - '73 standard hardtop, 351C-2V FMX automatic. Another parts cat to be used to 'rebody' BetaCat

70 Mach 1 351C-4V automatic (wife's car!)
    66 Comet Caliente 289-2V automatic
    96 Crown Vic LX HPP - POS winter beater
    89 Crown Vic LX 393 stroker - my new daily driver/sleeper
    97 F-250HD XLT ext cab - Tow rig
    04 Crown Vic LX Sport - Wife's new daily driver

Hidden Content

My Story has been posted here before.
    https://mercurycougar.net/forums/show...?t=2461&page=7

Blog Entries
    I met the original owner of my 70 XR-7 last summer. This is a picture of him sitting in her at that meeting. Ed provided a lot of history on the car.
    Oh, he prefered the original hub caps to my styled steel wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EdnCougar 001.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	16707  
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Found another previous owner

Got a name from the New Mexico DMV. Found the previous owners address on google and sent a letter to him with a picture of what the car looks like now. He was kind enough to respond as follows:

Gerry,
    It is good to see the car again. I was forced to give it up in a divorce. The car has never been in an accident. I bought the car from one of my old bosses Jim Jukes (I am not sure of the spelling of his last name). It belonged to his son and it was just sitting in his yard for a few years that was in about 1973-74. I had the car until 1996. I replaced the engine it came out of a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. I rebuilt the tranny and put a B&M shift kit in it. The car came with a Hi Po 390 in it. The aluminum intake was a Ford product. The car came with AC, PS & PB. The interior was white. It originally was a medium to light green an original color with a white vinyl top. It had the what I call star wheels. I see that it still has the Base sticker on I used to work on base.
    I don't have any pictures or documents that I can think of, my X kept everything. It brings back many memories. If I find anything I will send it to you. Send me a picture when you finish. If you ever want to sell it give me a shot at it.

That's a big chunk of this cars ownership history right there, and gives a clue about the next PO

I had also talked to his daughter by phone and she said the car was her mom's baby, and it was their family car when she was growing up. Unfortunatey her mom is gone now.

Re: Lost and Found Previous Owners

Did some internet research. Got a lead on the next PO back.
    Followed what I thought was a good lead that ended with a gentleman who had died 9 years ago. Did some more research and contacted his daughter. She told me her dad never owned the car. After a few back and forth emails she able to find out that a relative used to own it. Sounds like he still talks about it after 40 years. She provided contact info, and I'll be getting in touch with him soon.

I bought my first Cougar in about 1981. And then I bought another, and another, and another, and pretty soon I had quite a few. Anyway one of the cars I bought in the mid 1980s was a 67 6.5 4 speed car. Later in the late 1990s I made a deal with a friend of mine to trade this car for his 68 XR-7 F code 4 speed and some cash. A few years later I received a phone call from a lady asking if I had purchased a car from a certain person, it was the guy I bought the 67 6.5 car from. I told yes, I did. She asked if I knew where the car was, I told I did know exactly where the car is. She asked if I would sell it to her and I explained the previous trade and that it was not my car to sell. She went on to explain that her husband had bought the car new and she thought she would buy it back for him as an anniversay gift. That's the kind of wife we all want right? I got in touch with the friend I traded the car to and in the end a deal was made and now the 67 6.5 car is back in the hands of the original owner. The last time that I talked with him the restoration was still a work in progress.

Randy Goodling
    CCOA #95

I'd love to find my first Cougar again, but it's extremely unlikely since I sold it in 1976 before we had things like digital cameras and Marti Reports. It was an Augusta Green 1968 XR-7 with a 302 and 3-speed manual transmission. The interior was saddle and it had no vinyl top. My brother found it for me as I was returning from a deployment to the Mediterranean just before I got out of the Navy. We restored it a few months later and I drove it for a year or so before selling it in Waterbury, CT. Unfortunately, I was 23 and not thinking about keeping records on anything so I have no idea what the VIN was or even whether the car had a factory 4-barrel or not.

If anyone comes across a '68 that matches that description, I'd love to hear about it!
    Bill

"B3Cat" 1968 XR-7 GT
    1969 Corvette L-46 4-speed Coupe
    Hidden Content

I made contact with the next PO back. Nice story. Here's what he had to say:

Hi Gerry,
    Great hearing from you and bringing up some of my fondest memories connected to my first car. My Dad (the best in the World in my opinion) bought me that car when I was in High School and I just got my Driver’s License. As I recall Dad bought it from a lady in Albuquerque in what should have been ~ 1973. She was in the process of buying a new car at the time. You can imagine I was very proud and spent much of my free time polishing on it and “tricking” it out from a teenager perspective. The car was nearly perfect with only a few door dings as the previous owner(s) must have spent allot of time in close parking spaces.
    I recall installing an 8 Track tape deck in the console compartment and of course installing speakers in the doors and rear window deck-this would be unconscionable now- but at the time my only concern was to impress the girls. And impressed they were, as I remember some of my first romantic moments in that car.
    When I was a JR or SR living in Bosque Farms I got a job at the American Truck Stop in Albuquerque and was working the evening shift pumping diesel and washing semis. While I was kid rich, the 40 mile round trip commute was killing me buying premium gas for the Cougar, wouldn’t run on regular. This in combination with some rocker arm problems I was having on the left bank of the 390 prompted me to sell it. The rocker arm problem, some carburetor problems, and some vacuum problems opening the headlights was the only real problems I ever had with it. Miraculously the car never suffered any sheet metal damage while I had it.
    It’s curious that the wall paper on my Tablet computer is that of a green 67 Cougar only with a black vinyl top instead of the white one I had. I often tell my wife how much I loved that car and how sorry I was to have sold it.
    Congratulations on your find and If you have even a fraction of the fun I had with it you have found a treasure. If I run across any old photos of the car I’ll send them and if you have any photos I would be very interested in seeing them as well.
    Thanks for the memory jog.

M.

Blog Entries

That is very cool :-)

I have the contact info for the PO of mine, but I'm afraid to call. I bought it through an intermediate seller and he said the owner didn't want to do the selling face to face - I'm guessing he didn't really want to sell it. Since then, I've sent the PO a letter every few months, just to say "hi" and give him an update on the car.

Thinking about calling him sometime, but not sure if I should.
    ~ Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
    Sonic Blue 1 of 354

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
    1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Hidden Content section of the forum!

Thats nice hearing stories I tracked down my first owner to get complete ownership of my car paid 10$ usually insurance places sell you the information if they have access to it im sure you guys can also find the last registered owner that way.
    I bought my car after 2 other people had bills of sales I finally tracked the first owner her dad had purchased this car for her in 69 I also had to go thru other paperwork but I got her to sign off on the title nice lady.

Thread Information