Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Torque Wrench

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Art 
#1 ·
My trusty Craftsman torque wrench that I originally purchased in 80 has died and Sears can't fix it.

From what I've heard a lot of people have had bad experiences with the newer Craftsman torque wrenches.

Since I don't use them regularly I can't justify the cost of investing in something like Snap-On. I've looked around and seen everything from $20 torque wrenches at HF on up.

I'd be fine spending $100 on another Craftsman, but I thought I'd put it out there and see what you guys are using.

#2 ·
i am sure you could pick up a used snap on off of craigslist for 100 or less.
i think i got mine for 75 and it has worked great for years.

#3 ·
Craftsman? Take it back for a replacement under their lifetime guarantee (or have they stopped doing that or limited it in some way now?).

#4 ·
I keep a eye on craigslist and so far in the past few weeks the only thing I have seen is a beat up old Snap-On for $100 thats 90 miles away from me. By the time I go get it and send it out for recalibration I'll have $200 into a beat up old Snap-On. Personally for a torque wrench I'd rather start with something new.

Sears doesn't do lifetime on torque wrenches - I had that argument with them already. The repair center sent it out to be fixed and it was sent back unrepaired as they no longer have parts for it.

So I'm committed to buying a new one. I just have to decide if I can get over being pissed at Sears and if their current torque wrench is worth the $ or if I can do better elsewhere.

#6 ·
sears warranty is just on hand tools such as wrenches ratchets and that sort of thing. they are getting like a snap on with the warranty of ratchets too. they give you a refurb ratchet unless your like me a tell them no i want a new one and after a few exchanges of words they say go get one off the shelf.
torque wrenches as far as i know they is no company that warranties those for life i don't think snap on does either but i'm probably wrong.

#7 ·
I've never had good luck with ANY of the "click" type torque wrenches. I use the old school Craftsman pointer type torque wrenches and they've always worked just fine (when you can see the pointer, that is). I also like the ability to see when I'm getting close to the torque reading instead of wondering when or if it's ever going to click.

#8 ·
Okay on the Sears hand tools only thing, too bad about that.

I have had and used a Snap-on click torque wrench for around 30 years, works for me.

#11 ·
I got mine at Home Depot, Husky brand, works pretty good for 50 bucks. I have an older Craftsman that someone could have if they want but it needs calibration.

#12 ·
I have a couple of Craftsman 1/2"-drive clickers that have seved me well.

I also have a no-name 3/8" clicker that I found one day at Pick-Yer-Part.

#20 ·
I bought a new Craftsman 1/2" drive "clicker" type torque wrench. Took it home, unboxed it and immediately noticed the 0 would not align with the numbers. Hard to explain but with it set it could be either 5 ft/lb high or low.
Took it back to Sears, the guy told me they were not warrantied but he could give me the address of where to send it to have it calibrated.

I left the POS in the store, went home and disputed the charge on my Discover card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.