Is my GT-E drivetrain still alive in Canada?

Thread: Is my GT-E drivetrain still alive in Canada?

Is my GT-E drivetrain still alive in Canada?

I purchased my GT-E from an individual near Winnipeg, Manitoba, without the original engine or transmission. The previous owner of the individual I bought from, said he got it from a wrecking yard up north with motor and trans already gone and a lot of other stuff stripped (expensive GT-E stuff, I might add). This was in the early 80's.
    I was told the wrecking yard was in Flin Flon, way north of Winnipeg(874 km per googlemaps).

My VIN is 8F91W555445. If anyone up north knows of an engine assy or heads or a C6 trans case with my partial VIN originally stamped in them, please send me a pm.

Also, my Marti indicates that the dealer was:
    Manning Mercury LTD in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.

I googled them but did not get any info. If anyone has any info or history on the dealership, please forward it to me.

Thanks,
    AL

Hello Al: Give me a call I might be able to give you some info.I am from winnipeg and also own a gte.Was your car orange perhaps?Give me your phone number and I can call you ?? Thanks:ken stein.

Al -- I sure hope you are successful. Many years ago, when I first saw your GT-E I took a run at trying to find anyone alive up in the area that actually saw the car. Ran into a stone wall; hopefully you'll do better and maybe Ken Stein can turn up something or someone too.
    Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Jim, I doubt I will have much more luck than you. Maybe the internet will reach a few more Ford/Mercury people up north who remember seeing a 427.

Ken, PM sent.

Thanks,
    AL

Flin Flon is the home town of our beloved Bobby Clarke.
    Paul Garvin
    69 XR7 Convertible Aqua/White
    2004 F250 4x4 XLT Sport Black/Black/Black
    2002 Escape 4x4 Gray/Gray
    2002 Volvo S60 2.4Turbo AWD
    2012 BMW 328XI Coupe

Another spammer?
    Bill Basore, Editor
    Hidden Content
    Have you checked out:
    Hidden Content
    '68 XR7G 390 4 speed Sunroof Cardinal Red
    '68 XR7G 428CJ C6 Black Cherry
    '68 GTE XR7 (427) Cardinal Red
    '68 XR7 Restomod 351W
    '67 XR-7 GT 4 Speed Lime Frost

Quote Originally Posted by xr7g428 View Post
    Another spammer?
    Never seen one with an ICQ account number.

Odd.

Make mine a Cleveland, please.

If you've had no luck, perhaps make a trip to SIR when/if they have a Ford weekend or night. Rub elbows with some racers and search the SIR archives (if they'll let you). Buy beer for some old timers.
    Look for the big time Ford guys circulating in that time period around the track nowadays. They'll probably be running a bracket car if they do anything other than help their kids or grandkids.
    Peeking through the archives pics, one couldassume that MoPar stuff was heavily favored in Sask with GM close behind or equal. That would mean that a very serious and competitive Ford racer would be the big fish in the proverbial small Ford pond.
    If that guy, or one of his pondmates, got that engine, you can bet that someone knows about it and probably can tell you where it went after it left the GT-E.
    Generally speaking, in an area like that, something like a 427 from a Cougar wouldn't go unnoticed and there are probably some guys that were running Ford back in 69/70 that might remember when Scruffy Willy McGee (or whatever his name was) was buying every 427 he could lay hands on and edging out the hemis, etc.

What's for sure is that you can only do so much online. Sask is like one big small town. You gotta go rub elbows.

It's raining this AM, and I'm out of motorcycle parts for my Honda adventure bike project, so I peeked around a bit.
    http://www.pbase.com/nitroimage/sir_archives&page=26
    Halfway down, pics of the Team Ford of Cananda '70 and hauler.
    Farther down you'll find a comment by someone named Bill Richards who claims to have been around "back in the day." I shot his model painter an e-mail in hopes he could put me in touch with Richards.

scdra.ca is the swift current drag racing association's page. They have a forum. Sask is a small town province. Poke around there and feel out the Ford guys. You'll probably get lucky and get some networking contacts.
    Be smart about it though. Don't gush out that you have a GT-E and are looking for the original engine unless you want to find it and have to pay its weight in gold loonies.

http://dragracingcanada.ca/drag_stri...ag_strips.html
    List of Sask dragstrips. If the Cat went from Swift Current to Flip-Flop, then someone took it there. If someone took the engine and the GT-E emblems, then they told someone about it.

I have yet to meet a townie who couldn't keep his mouth shut about another guy's equipment.

Bon Chance with your search. These links may get you started in a good direction.

Thread Information