Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What vin number to go by

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  hawkrod 
#1 ·
my fender vin says its a 67 with a 289 but the dash vin is the same as the title and it says 68 with a 302 how do i find out witch one is the right one.

#3 · (Edited)
That is correct, '67's don't have a dash VIN. Cougarkid68, do the front fenders have side running lights and do the rear quarter panels have reflectors and script Cougar emblems. Also, please add your location to your profile. There may be some Cougar owner's where you live. Thanks

#5 ·
Look under the car. A '67 Cougar only has a torque box on the driver side. If the car is a '68 it will have torque boxes on both sides.

A '67 has the fuel line running under the torue box on the driver side. A '68 has the fuel line running through the torque box.

It is possible someone changed the fender apron and used one from a '67. Or you could have a stolen '67 that someone tried to make into a '68. The possibilities are endless, but the fuel line and torque boxes should settle the issue.

#9 ·
A '67 has the fuel line running under the torue box on the driver side. A '68 has the fuel line running through the torque box.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->They change this mid model year?
My January built 67 goes under the box where as my March built 67 goes through…both Dearborn cars. <o:p> </o:p>

#7 · (Edited)
thanks for the help my fuel line runs through the torque box and i have to torque boxes , is a 289 smaller by dimensions than a 302 because i was told a 289 looks smaller i have been a die hard dodge guy till i bought my cougar so im still learning about fords. thanks also im going to buy a pst front end rebuild kit should i go with the 68 kit or a 67 i dont see a difference but if the front clip is from a 67 does that just mean the fenders or the whole front end i dont have a door tag since the whole thing was filled in with bondo

#13 ·
im going to buy a pst front end rebuild kit should i go with the 68 kit or a 67 i dont see a difference but if the front clip is from a 67 does that just mean the fenders or the whole front end i dont have a door tag since the whole thing was filled in with bondo
You are going to need to do some more detective work on this one.

For starters a front clip could mean just the inner aprons and shock towers or a complete walk around, meaning exactly what you would see if you were walking around a complete car. It is possible that you have a 68 Cougar that was involved in a front end collision. The damage included the front inner approns. To repair it a replacement section was purchased from a salvage yard. Have you checked both sides (left & right) of the inner aprons for a VIN? Perhaps only one side was replaced. Also look on the front of the radiator support usually behind the passenger side headlight assembly for a buck tag, a metal tag about the size of a standard business card. If there is one there it will have a VIN on it. If you find one how does that VIN compair with the other VINs that you have?

Before you purchase a front end rebuild kit you will need to determine if you have a 67 or 68 front end. Look at the strut arms where they attach to the lower control arms. The 68 style will just have 2 bolts that hold it in place. The 68 strut rod is just a round rod the entire length. The 67 style will have a knuckle right before it reaches the lower control arm. This may also point you in a direction for whether your car is a 67 or a 68.

A few other things to look at to determine if it is a 67 or 68. Go to the interior. If the car is a standard (not an XR-7) look at the vinyl facing going around the instrument cluster and extending over to the passenger side. Are there visible screws holding this pad in place? If so it is a 67 style pad. If not it is a 68 style pad. Also look at your seats. Do you have a release lever to fold the seat front to access the rear seat? Or do they just flop forward? 67s just flop, 68s have a release lever. Now these items are easily switched so it is not definitive.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

#11 ·
They used the same block and heads for the 289 and 302 in '68. The only way to tell which you have is to measure the stroke or look at the crank shaft casting ID number.

#10 ·
They made all Cougars in Dearborn in '67. I've never owned one later than January of '67 so it is possible they changed mid year. I need to look in the Master Parts Catalog to see if they call out a date for the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.