Mercury Cougar Owners banner

302 to a 351W, stock AC brackets won't work!

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  cat246 
#1 ·
I have a 68 Coug, pulled out the original 302 engine, to swap it for mildly built 351W with Rousch heads. The problem I am running into is the power steering adaptor to compensate for the taller deck will not allow me to reinstall the stock Air conditioning mounting bracket(s), because it will not sit flush against the heads.....:(.

Has ANYONE dealt with this problem before,okay I'm sure someone has.Can anyone advise me what to do before I drop a $1000.00 on a March pulley kit with a newer style Sanden AC compressor? Please help, my kitty is down.:uhoh:

#3 ·
From what I have learned, the AC mounting brackets are not interchangeable from the 302 to 351W. The lateral steel bracket is definitely taller on the 351 than the 302. Not sure about the cast iron pedestal.

#4 ·
I think I found a solution!!

I actually ordered a bracket w/ idlers, including polished AC compressor from HOTRODAIR, for under $400.00. I haven't got it yet,but it seemed to be pretty reasonably priced.(I will be converting to R134, much cheaper)Thanks Guys.:wave:

#5 ·
Hi cat426
Please add your location to your profile you nev er know you could be neighbors with some one on the forum.
Juli:wave:

#8 ·
"Rousch"? Is that some sort of knock-off brand?

#11 ·
"Cheap Pro-Comp KNOCK OFF"

If those are cheap, I'd say BUY 'em, they perform great. If you need heads to perform better, open your wallet and spend some money on some AFR's or Brodix heads, but most of us common folks can't afford to spend like $2-3k on just cylinder heads. My cat puts down 378 RWHP with those "cheap" Rousch heads on a 351W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.