1967 Cougar project. I have for over 20 years - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1967 Cougar project. I have for over 20 years

Where do I live? East Coast yes but Ma not Conn.

That has to be one of the most bizarre assemblies of parts that I've ever seen on a Cougar. And I mean that in the most endearing way.

Glad to see you've kept the car all these years. Good Luck in moving forward. Like the barn too!
    Hidden Content
    Mark
    '68 XR-7 351W C6 3:50 1 of 1

Anyone can restore a Classic, but it takes a Real Man to cut one up!

Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East

Reserved parking at the Hidden Content .
    First Official "Ride Of The Month" at Hidden Content
    Illegally parked on the Hidden Content

It's kinda crazy but it should be a fun little racer when done. I can't wait to get it running again. Once I do that it has to be completely dissambled and the bottom is going to get sandblasted and painted. I found a guy who will come to my house an do it for $200
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    1970 Mustang SCJ drag pak, 4 speed
    1973 Mustang ram air 4 speed
    1990 Mustang (build in process 351 W twin turbo
    2003 Cobra convert
    1991 Chevy 4 X 4 383 and TCI trans twin turbo A/W I/C 350 carbed
    2012 Silverado crew cab Duramax
    2006 Ford F-150 stage 3 Roush
    1951 Ford 8n

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

All that fab and welding

and you did not paint it well enough to prevent it from rusting? and what's up with that yellow water pump..........doc?......get it?...wats up doc? I think you have paint issues you need to deal with! I will share what my son's Karate instructor teaches the kids. "Never give up, never never never give up"........E.C.I. is a badge of honor.....wear it with pride and don't let those WEST coast guy's fool you................they are just jealous because they can't get rust where they live.............preventing them from learning how to weld....................which means they never learned how to do the "HOT SLAG SHUFFLE" which we all know the chick's dig .
    Mercinary.out
    "Blessed mother of acceleration dont fail us now" Elwood BluesHidden Content Hidden Content

Well more problems solved. I ordered a 2003 Cobra hydrobooster from a guy on line. It came and fits between the engine valve cover and roll bar. My firewall has a bed in it so it didn't sit flat. my machinist is making a billet bracket adapter so it will sit flush. It should have kick ass brakes 4 wheel disc jag and vette with that cool differential parking brake. I have some more figuring to do but most of the hard design stuff is done. The engine front was removed from a junkyard 460. I got the power steering alternator brackets and powersteering pump for $25. Everything is blasted and ready for powder coating. The engine will be ford blue no yellow. I just recived an ARP stud for my relocated oil pump. What a pain that was to get. I can know mount my oil pump. I also just bid on a new firewall gas pedal setup. The factory linkage wouldn't work.
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    2003 Cobra convert
    1951 Ford 8n

All that fab and welding
    and you did not paint it well enough to prevent it from rusting?

We;; you have to remmeber from the opening. I have finished college/got a masters and an MD finished residency and bought a house. The car was in storage. I think it's cool that I managed to keep it all these years. I also didn't give up
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    2003 Cobra convert
    1951 Ford 8n

I put a late model Aluminum Vette rear section under my 41 Buick, and in looking at how you have the center section bolted DIRECTLY to the frame I am wondering about the transfer of vibrations? I know mine is mounted with 2 flexible mounts, one at each end of the cross member that holds the center section which eliminates such. I also have some small weighted devices that help reduce or eliminate harmonic vibrations. These are mounted at the end of the center section cross member which is suspended between the flexible mounts.

I'm NOT saying you are wrong, but wonder if you aren't going to experience vibrations, etc. Maybe there is something I don't see in the picture?

Dale in Indy

I might have vibrations. Who know's I guess I'll see when I drive it. I didn't make the mount it came that way from speedway motors. It was to put a vette in an old ford.
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    2003 Cobra convert
    1951 Ford 8n

The way it is mounted allows for the car to sit lower, and probably that is the reason it is as it is.

Well, it's NOT the end of the world, if you experience some unpleasant noise or vibrations, you can always review and fab something that insulates.

I wasn't picking on your project, FOR SURE.

Dale in Indy

Dale,
    I actually appreciate the advice. It is something i hadn't thought about. While i could easily add some rubber pads to the mount. The pinion support is firm with two rods with adjustable rod ends without movement. So that end might translate vibrations. I guess i'll wait and see. I got so much to do on the car. i'll wait until it's done before i reengineer stuff. There is always room for improvement
    chris
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    2003 Cobra convert
    1951 Ford 8n

Question

You are going to THINK I am picking on you, I'm NOT, I just can't tell from the pictures....

Do you have a TORQUE tube devise mounted to the CENTER or PUMPKIN section that runs towards the front of the chassis? I don't know what year your suspension came from, but on mine, Vette used a channel of aluminum that was approx. 48" long to control twisting of the center section. I see your forward control arms that are connected to the outer ends of the half shafts, but I would suspect you need such for the center section as well.

As I said, CAN'T TELL FROM THE PICTURES what you have fabbed for such. That piece needs to me mounted in rubber of sorts in the front too. The original piece is Alu. channel and wraps around the drive shaft.

Dale in Indy

The pinion support is firm with two rods with adjustable rod ends without movement.

The rods go out to the frame on both sides. The rear cannot move with this in place. Your right about this concept. Also I don't think your picking on me

chris
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    2003 Cobra convert
    1951 Ford 8n

Well I have made some progress. I now have mounted a 2003 Cobra hydrobooster. It fits in nicely between the front roll bar etc. I had my machinist friend make up a billet adapter to mount it to the firewall. I then had some hydraluic lines made up. I had to go bone yard picking to find the front powersteering pump and alternator mounts. The lines and adapters were chalenging. A 1973? ford PS pump to the hydobooster to the Jag rack and pinion. I also have been working on the e brake. I'm going to try a Lokar cable and a fox mustang e brake. I bought the upper shock mounts for the front and will try to get them mmounted and the shock lenght figured as well. A few weeks ago I mounted the decklid. I had to cut all the mounting pices out to put the wheel wells in. So I had to make some mounts for the hinges. The hinges were too long long so i cut them first. I'm also going to run a ss flipper gas cap. I think I'll mount it behind the rear window. The throttle cable is also monted with a billet alum pedal mounted to the firwall. These details are painful b/c everything has to be thought out and fabricated or fitted. A restoration is easier b/c it just goes back to stock. I still have the fiberglass front to deal with (strengthening and work on some of the mounting aspects). It's getting there slowly. I'll try to get some pics this weekend. My plan is to get all the fab work done and then strip it and put it on the rotisserie for blasting and painting.
    1967 Cougar
    Kirkham Cobra
    2003 Cobra convert
    1951 Ford 8n

THATS HOT !!

Dare to be different, you sure did that !

Nicely done !

MacGuyver ain't got jack on youdude! Keep on ECI'n on!
    70 Grabber Blue XR-7 Conv. 351C -4V/4sp Eliminator Look
    68 Yellow Hertz XR7-G (Restoration started)
    68 Red Hertz XR7-G
    68 J code XR7 with Sunroof
    06 Z06 Corvette (My daily driver)
    Hidden Content

Thread Information