and the winner of the moron of the month award goes to....... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: and the winner of the moron of the month award goes to.......

Quote Originally Posted by ca2stay
    Maybe we should have a "goof of the month" in the newsletter. Let our readers know that we're not perfect but we're out there on our cats and "gittin it done". It might inspire other, more timid, individuals to open the hood and try "it". Whatever "it" is it can always be undone (well mostly :-D) or the tank can be filled or the fuse can be replaced or a hammer & wrecking bar can provide adjustments. Anyways, another excuse to drink beer. :-D
    Make it so! Feel free to use my lovely story as a warm up...lol. What do ya think Steve??

Tom
    Hidden Content 1970 Cougar, 351C-AUS 2V

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Proud Member of the Hidden Content

The more information, the better!!!

Stephen - CCOA #8447

Well, way back when (we're talking 1981) I droped a screw down the carb on my 68 Chevelle and didn't know it. Let's say the piston didn't like it and a new engine was installed. Hey, I was 17 and soon later bought an Italian convertible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by purnlow
    Well, way back when (we're talking 1981) I droped a screw down the carb on my 68 Chevelle and didn't know it. Let's say the piston didn't like it and a new engine was installed. Hey, I was 17 and soon later bought an Italian convertible.
    Ouch! That would suck. Not to self, do not play with screws around carburator .

Tom

Hidden Content
    Member #311

OK, 15 years ago I noticed my neighbor's VW bug was leaking gas so I went over to help and saw that one of the fuel lines had come loose, so I put it back on and tightened the clamp. She took off and drove around the corner and then came walking back up the hill. I asked her what was wrong and she said her car had just caught on fire and she needed to call the Fire Dept. to come put it out. Funny thing is the car didn't catch fire because of the gas, it was an electrical fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul68XR7
    OK, 15 years ago I noticed my neighbor's VW bug was leaking gas so I went over to help and saw that one of the fuel lines had come loose, so I put it back on and tightened the clamp. She took off and drove around the corner and then came walking back up the hill. I asked her what was wrong and she said her car had just caught on fire and she needed to call the Fire Dept. to come put it out. Funny thing is the car didn't catch fire because of the gas, it was an electrical fire.
    WOW that is bad. Atleast it was not a Cougar though!

Tom

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Forgive me father for I have sinned. Hellcat was running very poorly for the last couple of days. Bad enough that I considerd not bringing her to the picnic. She kept bogging down at 60mph and felt like she was starving of fuel. So I took 3 hours and ripped the carb apart and rebuilt it. Still no dice. Changed plugs wires and cap still no luck. Got very frusturated and asked Tom, 70guncat, What he thought. He directed me to the guy who built his car. The first thing out of his mouth was something I had only glanced at, the wire to the coil. Sure enough the wire had chaffed and was grounding on the block. Hellcat lives!!!

Mark
    Mark AKA "Doc"
    1969 standard with 351 windsor (Hellcat)
    1990 F350 Crew Cab with 7.3L Diesel (Chief)
    1998 Sable Wagon (Wifes car, Sold)
    STRAY CATS MEMBER #312
    My Gallery
    Hidden Content

My Space site
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ya know we have all heard about someone calling the TV repair man when all that was wrong is the TV was unplugged. You and about a million other guys have done the same mistake, thats not so bad. Mark

Dumb things happen when you are tired.

After putting my engine back in and getting everything back together, (very tired) i was putting the new oil in and right as i got the first quart in, i dropped to the ground as i forgot the drain plug...!
    Tyler Wayne
    Hidden Content
    68 XR-7 390 Restomod TKO 5 speed

haha...something as simple as a drain plug...

Stephen - CCOA #8447

Just when you think its safe

Well, I did it. I finally marred the beautiful black finish on my unfinished cat. for over a year I've managed to not scratch the paint at all despite the tight quarters and the mess I work in. The irony is that I did it cleaning up the garage because I was concerned that the tight quarters and the mess I've made was going to cause me to...mar the finish.

It was S-T-U-P-I-D too. A real lame-brained event. As you recall, SAT was quite HOT. I decided to get into the garage in the AM before the heat. Made a lot of headway too. The last thing I was doing was figuring out where to put the extra A/C lower dash I have.

On the left side of the garage I have some wooden shelves hanging below the rafters that go around the left-front of the garage roughly 6ft above the floor. From under the shelf I hang a 3ft dual element hooded worklight. It hangs down ~1ft or so. Above that, I decided to hang the dash. I put in 2 4" nails into the 2x4 facing of the shelf - about 6ft off the floor. It now sits just above the hood of the worklight. Behind that, against the garage wall is my rolling tool chest, which, with the top open is just under the 6ft shelf - perfect. When I close the top, the rolling chest fits under the hooded worklight - perfect.

Well, the operative words here are "when I close the top". If I don't close the top, the top bangs into the hooded worklight and, since it hangs from a chain, it doesn't just stop, it sways.

So, the last thing I'm doing during the cleaning process is making room for a milling machine a friend of mine was bringing to the house. I moved the chest, forgot to close the top, banged into the hood, which swayed up, caught the lower dash which came down w/a crash against my left door leaving a 6" gouge just below the mirror, a slight dent and a 1ft scratch in the paint.

Worst part was that I could've hung the dash 3 ft to the left and not been in the way of the hooded worklight. ahhhhhhh >:-(

Even worse, I'm doing a favor for my friend since I'll probably use that milling machine very infrequently at best. BTW, it is a cool machine.

Only good news - it didn't hit to the brand new top, only damaged the door, & it didn't hurt anything or anybody but my ego.

Now, I've got to get the door completely reshot. The gouge goes through a few layers of paint - almost to bare metal. I guess I'll be doing the repaint and pinstriping sooner than I thought.

Been there...

ca2stay's story reminded me of the time I hung some extra fluorescent light fixtures in the back corner of my dad's shop to brighten the area I was working in.

Normally this area was only used just to park the finished cars in so working light didn't need to be so great. But my project became so long term that I needed to keep it out of the way.

I hung these lights over the winter when it was your average frigid "ache on the lake" type of Cleveland winter.

But the first sign of Spring with temperatures hitting the 60 degree mark caused me to rejoice by throwing open the one overhead garage door behind my space. Only the MORON I am hung one of the light fixtures I added right between the tracks of the garage door without realizing it.

In fact, I didn't realize it until the door ripped the fixture down and it landed right on top of my trunk lid... still attached to the car. The light shield gouged the paint in several places and the light tubes exploded all over the place.

Needless to say... I never did that again.
    Hidden Content
    Mark
    '68 XR-7 351W C6 3:50 1 of 1

Anyone can restore a Classic, but it takes a Real Man to cut one up!

Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East

Reserved parking at the Hidden Content .
    First Official "Ride Of The Month" at Hidden Content
    Illegally parked on the Hidden Content

14. Well, I have one for you guys. I've been having turn signal problems, and I did the trouble shooting thing on Cougars Unlimited. My grandpa and I decided it was the turn signal switch. Jan was nice enough to post the "did you check the simple things first?" question in the thread I started. He told me to check the fuses. I didn't listen because I'd already replaced the fuse when the problem started. So, I ordered the turnsignal switch.

Yesterday, after splicing the $90 turnsignal switch to the old plug and putting the column back together, the turn signals were still a no go. It was hotter than hell, and my grandpa and I were taking turns under the dash trying to see where the problem was. After a few hours in the 104 degree weather, somehow, we got back to the fuses. For the heck of it, we replaced the fuse again. As soon as I put that fuse in, what do I hear? It was the beautiful sound of a right turnsignal clicking!! So it turned out, after spending $90 on a turnsignal switch, the fix was the $.10 fuse. At least I know if the new switch goes bad, I still have the original that still works.

NOTE TO SELF: Just because a fuse is new, DOESN'T mean it's good.

EDIT: Dammit! Sorry dude! I was judging by the display pic. Sorry Jan. Looks like I really deserve the title.
    Last edited by maui_diver21; July 24th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maui_diver21
    Jan was nice enough to post the "did you check the simple things first?" question in the thread I started. She told me to check the fuses. I didn't listen because I'd already replaced the fuse when the problem started.
    NOTE TO SELF: Just because a fuse is new, DOESN'T mean it's good.
    Uummmm, you might want to add another NOTE TO SELF: Jan is a dude!
    Hidden Content
    Mark
    '68 XR-7 351W C6 3:50 1 of 1

Anyone can restore a Classic, but it takes a Real Man to cut one up!

Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East

Reserved parking at the Hidden Content .
    First Official "Ride Of The Month" at Hidden Content
    Illegally parked on the Hidden Content

Hi maui_diver21,

Consider the possibility that the new fuse blew when you installed it because the old unit had a short or somehow drew too much current. Therefore, you're effort to install the new unit was not in vain. Does that make you feel any better :-)?

Jeff

Thread Information