Progress update - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Progress update

Thanks, Mark. My wife has been more patient than understanding. It seems as I get closer, she gets less patient :-(.

Steve, I appreciate the lack of time to work on the car. I go through motivation issues on the car as well. Sometimes it just seems like its NEVER going to get done. Keep the faith and "git 'er done" :-)

Well with a lot of help from Mark I now have a brand new looking interior with a few customized additions. I pulled the car out of the garage on the morning of the 4th and gave her a quick wipe down. I was going to drive it over to Marks Dads' house to put the rear window back in. I went to start it up and all I got was click click. So I charged up the battery with my charger. I came back out after the green light indicated that the battery was charged and tried again. Click click. I have been here before so I grabbed a screw driver and laid it across the solonoid posts and it fires right up. I back out of the driveway and realize that I do not have enough trans fluid in the trans (we changed the pan while it was in the air because of a leak). I put in another quart while the car is running. I jump in and drive around the block. The car did not seem to be going into gear very well so I pull over and check the fluid. Still a little low so I put in enough to fill to the line while the car is running and in neutral. So I get ready to go around the block again but my girlfriend comes out with breakfast so I eat while listening to the wonderful sound of my cougar running again. I get up to put my dishes away and grab a quick glass of OJ. While I am finishing up I hear the engine die. I go out and all I get again is click click..ugh. So I do the screw driver trick again and fried a wire. It seemed to be the wire that leads to the neutral safety switch. I follow the wire back and it seems that I must have scraped a little of the insulation off when I was reinstalling the Hurst quarter stick. I change it out and now it fires right up but dies after about 5 seconds. After starting it a few times I was looking around to see how the wire was doing that I replaced and it is not hot but I touched the voltage regulator and it was so hot it almost burned my finger. It is not supposed to be that hot is it? I am thinking that I should change it out and try a new one. Do you think that the neutral safety switch is bad now as well or is it ok since the car starts? I hope this does not keep me from going to the picnic as I was really looking forward to it.

Tom
    Hidden Content 1970 Cougar, 351C-AUS 2V

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Proud Member of the Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Tom, the neutral safety switch is a switch to complete the circuit to send power to the starter and shouldn't have anything to do with the voltage regulator, except it may create an overload to the system thus the regulator when turning the key to the start position only. I would seem to think that the voltage regulator is going bad and giving you the problem, however a possible alternator problem may exist also overloading the regulator overheating it. Sometimes the regulator may just stick also. I would get a wiring diagram to follow the regulator wires to check it out for sure. I don't think a bad nuetral safety switch would give you a click, click sound. That most likely would be a voltage problem to the selinoid or the selinoid itself not giving the proper voltage to engage the stater. The regulator is in line from the key to the selinoid which is bypassed when the screwdriver is applied to the selinoid. The only puzzling thing you mentioned was that the car was quiting after 5 seconds which may bring up the issue of a bad key switch. Also if the trans linkage is off a bit it will have shift proplems as described.

Sorry if this is jumbled, I am writing it right before taking off from work.

Good Luck

Still not decided if going to picnic.

Thanks for the info Vinnie. I replied to this message last night but it did not take for some reason. I plan to follow some more wires tonight and see what I can find. This really sucks!

Tom
    Hidden Content 1970 Cougar, 351C-AUS 2V

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Proud Member of the Hidden Content

I have a 1968 shop manuel at home, not sure if the wires changed much compared to the 70, I can scan a diagram and send it to you if you like. Won't get home till late tonight though.

Thread Information