Progress update
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Progress update

Progress update

As you may or may not know I began the process of refurbishing my interior over Memorial Day weekend. I had a three week work stoppage due to having the wrong headliner and rear window seal and having to go away with the military for awhile. So anyway, last week I ordered the correct headliner and rear window seal and it came in in time for this past weekend. I finished dying the seats and painting the trim. I was able to get the roof insulation in and the headliner is up but not glued down yet. I figured I would give it a couple days to stretch out a little before I glued it down. The dash and the seats came out looking like brand new and I am happy with them. Thanks to Mark for showing me how to do this. Sunday it was 105 in my garage so I did not get a whole lot done. This weekend is supposed to be better so hopefully I can get it finished. I have been following Vinnies advice and laying the carpet out in the sun every chance I get and then laying it on top of the roof at night. It is really starting to lay out nice now and should be easier to work worth (once again knock-on-wood). I just need to figure out how to put the back glass back in...lol.

Tom
    Hidden Content 1970 Cougar, 351C-AUS 2V

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Proud Member of the Hidden Content

Tom,

Make sure you put in your molding retaining clips before putting in the back glass. A whole lot easier that way. After you put the sealer in the rubber, take a thin rope and put in the the gasket that the pinch weld fits in and overlap the ends at the bottom center and tape to glass. Set the window in place and begin pulling one side of the rope and work it around pulling the lip of the gasket over the pinch weld. You will have to put some pressure to help the window suck down, sometimes you need to lightly slap it with a flat palm for it to suck all the way down in the corners. Don't beat on it though.

Another concern is to make sure you glue the headliner around the pinch weld good so that the rope doesn't peal it back when installing the rubber. Of course you removed the front windshield too in order to glue the headliner aroung that pinch weld??????? Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the info Vinnie. I did not pull the front window. On the 70 the liner does not go that far forward and is held in place by metal trim. I have been reading about the pulling the rope. It is a little confusing to me but i will play with it first and figure it out.

Tom

Hidden Content
    Member #311

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

lucky you, the 67 and 68 the front has to come out, there again my experience with the good years made me mis-speak. lol

Back glass

Quote Originally Posted by 70guncat
    Thanks for the info Vinnie. I did not pull the front window. On the 70 the liner does not go that far forward and is held in place by metal trim. I have been reading about the pulling the rope. It is a little confusing to me but i will play with it first and figure it out.

Tom
    Hey Tom,

Take pics of the process if you can - as I will be taking my Coug in for Body/Paint work shortly after the picnic, I will be at this same stage sooner than not. I too am a bit confused by the "rope" method but I'm sure everything will make more sense after I see what it looks like with the glass out. (I have been waiting to pull the back glass until AFTER we drive to the picnic and back - is it illegal to drive without a rear window?)

Looking forward to seeing your new and improved cat at the gathering.

-Andrew.
    Hidden Content atomicbob Hidden Content

•69 Standard 351C 4V FMX Trans.
    •79 Volvo 242 GT
    •05 Passat GLX Wagon V6

My Gallery: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbob
    Hey Tom,

Take pics of the process if you can - as I will be taking my Coug in for Body/Paint work shortly after the picnic, I will be at this same stage sooner than not. I too am a bit confused by the "rope" method but I'm sure everything will make more sense after I see what it looks like with the glass out. (I have been waiting to pull the back glass until AFTER we drive to the picnic and back - is it illegal to drive without a rear window?)

Looking forward to seeing your new and improved cat at the gathering.

-Andrew.
    I will try and take pictures. Will depend on whether or not I have help. I do not know why it would be illegal to drive without rear glass. It is not illegal to drive without a roof....lol.

Tom

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Take the doors off too. lol

Tom, When you pull the rope out of the rubber it pulls the lip of the rubber over the pinch weld of the window opening. As you pull it around it pulls the lip over until you come around to where you started leaving you with an installed window. Just slapping it will help it sit all the way down into the opening.

When are you doing this. Maybe I will take a trip down if I get time.

See other thread...

Also getting deeper into this subject in the current thread:

https://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...ad.php?t=23406

Hidden Content atomicbob Hidden Content

•69 Standard 351C 4V FMX Trans.
    •79 Volvo 242 GT
    •05 Passat GLX Wagon V6

My Gallery: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by purnlow
    Take the doors off too. lol

Tom, When you pull the rope out of the rubber it pulls the lip of the rubber over the pinch weld of the window opening. As you pull it around it pulls the lip over until you come around to where you started leaving you with an installed window. Just slapping it will help it sit all the way down into the opening.

When are you doing this. Maybe I will take a trip down if I get time.
    I am hoping to get it done this weekend. If I have problems figuring it out maybe I will just drive up to you. I have not driven the car since the May meeting so I am itching for an excuse. That way AtomicBob will not be the only one driving around without a rear winder .

Tom

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Cool!! My Crow Enterprizes lap belts came in today. They are way kuul. I know the purist are cringing but I love em. Now all I need is a new package tray and sunvisor assembley.

Tom

Hidden Content
    Member #311

Pretty funny with the window joke. Let me know, Sunday is probably best but later in the Saturday works

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbob

Is it illegal to drive without a rear window?

-Andrew.
    I sure hope not since mine has been tucked behind our couch in the living room since September. While it may not be illegal, it was a pain last January when some wet weather caught me unprepared...

Seriously, the Mercury Park Lane (not sure which year) had a rear window that could be rolled up and down, just like a station wagon. So it can't be illegal.

Considering the many recent posts about rear windows out of our cars, I'm half tempted to start a poll, "How many months has it been since your rear window was removed?" And as a subpoll, "How long was it out?"
    Todd G.

'69 XR-7, 351W-4V (was 2V)
    '99 Explorer XLT, 4.0 SOHC
    '06 Mustang GT

Hidden Content

Well the carb is on w/manual choke installed. I found a hole at the top center of the firewall that was the perfect fit for a choke cable.

160A alternator is in w/external regulator and wires spliced accordingly. The new alternator is wider than the old 55A dog and I probably should get a new, longer bracket. I don't think the positive battery connections on the alternator are touching any metal, but I'll do a better job of checking when its time to fire up.

The instrument gauges are almost in - at least enough to drive. I've got to put in the headers and drain the tank of the year old sludge and refill w/fresh petrol.

I'm getting nervous. I have visions of turning the ignition and having nothing happen - or worse.

Jeff,
    I think with all the time and love you have put into everything will be just fine. Glad to see some great progress into your baby. I know your wife must be getting excited also.

Mark
    Mark AKA "Doc"
    1969 standard with 351 windsor (Hellcat)
    1990 F350 Crew Cab with 7.3L Diesel (Chief)
    1998 Sable Wagon (Wifes car, Sold)
    STRAY CATS MEMBER #312
    My Gallery
    Hidden Content

My Space site
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ntgregory
    Considering the many recent posts about rear windows out of our cars, I'm half tempted to start a poll, "How many months has it been since your rear window was removed?" And as a subpoll, "How long was it out?"
    It is going on nearly 24 months since the rear glass was actually IN the car. Although I have not driven it further than to the gas station with no glass installed, and was not stopped by the local authorities.

As for progress, I wish I had the time right now, but I don't. Hopefully as we get deeper into summer I will have more time. Although I am still waiting for the engine rebuild to be completed by a guy in Sonoma. Maybe that will help to spur me to work on the car once I get the engine back.
    Last edited by Oswald; July 4th, 2006 at 07:54 AM.

Stephen - CCOA #8447

Thread Information