Mercury Cougar Owners banner

$415 Cougar in Bay Area

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  CougarCJ 
#1 ·
I just bought this car, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4592011886&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Before I call a transporter is anyone coming up I-5 from the Bay area to OR with a trailer? Or maybe someone in the Bay area wants to go pick it up and we can share the car or... you pay the $415 and just send me a few parts? Just thinkin out loud here. It has severe rust where the vinyl top was and is rather slim on options. We are banking on good 1/4 panels though. Lin 503-463-1130 www.classic-cougar.com

#2 ·
Severe rust, huh?!? What's the west coast term for a car that tears in half when you try to pull it out of the weeds and onto a trailer?

#3 ·
It's fairly close to me. The hood's a goner, DamnDamnDamn!!!!! But the bucket seats look good, like the foam under is still in good shape. I could use those. But I've got no way to haul it and no place to store it. How much do you want for the seats if I can pull them before you drag it off? Is anybody else around here interested in anything? Maybe we could make you guys some money and you'll never have to touch the thing!

#4 ·
Keep talkin... I have a customer from swissconsin that when he opened both doors on his convert with the top down it buckled! When East Coast people come to our yard and see our "severely rusted cars" they often leave mad or in tears. They say things like all that Cougar needed was floors and 1/4's, it could have been saved, you butcherer!

#5 ·
My cougar i use to have. according to the west coast was a pile of rust that drove, and i've seen first hand on a 69 mustang that all thats holding it from buckling is the doors and were going to fix it by the way its a 302 2barrel auto, Just goes to show how hard it is to find rust free cars in the rust belt unless you ship or travel but that gets very expensive and shipping to me is about $700 to $1000 and i can buy a lot of sheet metal panels for that

#6 ·
If you get your rust bucket for free with the trunk full of hundreds of dollars of POR 15 and the shipping costs you $1500 and you count your labor as worth nothing it is still cheaper to buy a solid car... I send a car a week back East and without fail the buyers comments are always something to the effect of "I will never buy a rust bucket again." or "I had no idea there were cars that could be unbolted without WD-40 or a sawzall."

#7 ·
I hadn't heard Swissconsin.....I can't stop laughing. I'd like to contribute Mushagain.

#8 ·
Don't forget..

The fine state of New Hampster....

#11 ·
Cheeseburger, hold the swiss...

Coast to Coast is running about $1000.00 If you find something out west using this list will pay off big time. Everytime I ask, 2 or more people chime in and offer to be my eyes, most on this list know what to look for and are more than happy to work for a cheeseburger and fuel.

#12 ·
In the past 9 months I have bought a 69 XR7 "Q" and a 70 XR7 "H" Vert as projects from the west coast and had them sent back here to SW Florida. For all of us east coasters... do not even think or worry about the cost of shipping ($1,300 from Washington and $1,000 from Nevada) as what you will get is far, far superior to anything born and driven on our side of the country. Just Do It!

#13 ·
Thanks Trooper...you have just stated an undenyable truth of life. I wish I hadn't been so STUPID earlier in life to think otherwise. I can write books on this subject. A patched together rusty P.O.S. looks and feels completely different from a west coast car. Lastly and most insulting is the fact that we think fixing a rustly car is cheaper than paying 3x's as much for a nice car. IT ISN"T!!!!!!!

#14 ·
GrouperTrooper said:
For all of us east coasters... do not even think or worry about the cost of shipping ($1,300 from Washington and $1,000 from Nevada) as what you will get is far, far superior to anything born and driven on our side of the country. Just Do It!
I couldn't agree more. One of my two Cougars was a barn find in Connecticut and the other came from Don. The barn find, while still well-preserved for an East Coast car, was a bear to tear down and needed most of the floor pans replaced as well as the fenders. I lost count of the bolts that snapped due to rust.

By comparison, the Cougar that came from Don didn't even need Liquid Wrench to come apart and the vast majority of the bolts are fully reuseable with nothing more than good cleaning. Had I not decided to do the convertible conversion on it, it would have needed only a minor toe board patch (under the heater core) and a repair of the driver side windshield pillar.

All things being equal, the shipping is a bargain compared to the rust repair most Rust Belt (and some coastal) projects require.

#15 ·
im mad because i have to replace a 10" x 6" patch on the drivers side floor of my Galaxie.

ok so that car was crusty before i bought it. no denying that but the doors, fenders, floors, framerails, quarter panels, trunk floor and all wheelhouses had no big deal of rust. the roof suffered out here.

my 69 XR7 on the other hand has a small patch around the back window ( vinyl top) , one door needs a patch in it too. other than the surface rust, it doesnt need any other holes to be dealt with. floors are PERFECT too :D

#16 ·
<TABLE id=full cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE id=vehicleinfo valign="top"><THEAD><TR><TH colSpan=3>1967 Mercury Cougar

</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="32%" rowSpan=2>$3,500

</TD><TD align=middle colSpan=2>See Saved Vehicles</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Save This Vehicle</TD><TD align=middle><!-- details page ad tag --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var vin = '' </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://acc.cars.com/jserver/acc_random=1133576410332/SITE=CARS.COM/AAMSZ=1x1/ACCDETAIL=carfaxhistory/AFF=recycler/ZIP_CODE=90650/MAKE=Mercury/MODEL=Cougar/AREA=vehicle/pageid=1133576410332/u=24n9i6f11p2037" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>document.write("Get a CARFAX Record Check");</SCRIPT>Get a CARFAX Record Check <!-- param.nlasaff= --><!-- accAff= --><!-- siteName= --><!-- AFFILIATE.name=recycler --><!-- pageType=inventory --><!-- MAKE: Mercury --><!-- MODEL: Cougar --><!-- end details page ad tag --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=specsbox align=left colSpan=3><TABLE id=specs cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=reg><TD>Mileage </TD><TD>Engine 289 CI</TD></TR><TR class=alt><TD>Body Style </TD><TD>Transmission Auto</TD></TR><TR class=reg><TD>Exterior Color Black</TD><TD>Drive Train </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!-- Copy --><TABLE id=copy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=alt><TD class=features>1967 MERCURY COUGAR XR7 black plates, 289 4bbl auto, need some bodywork, not rusty, runs and drives, hard to find, email for photos #7F93A6 $3,500, dented door and quarter panel, solid and complete, genuine XR7 with console and power brakes and steering 310-827-8400 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

was in the recycler out here. this things are starting to get expensive. :D i hate to say it, ( and make competition for myself should i need anything ) but check the recycler out in the LA area for cheap cars. sometimes they show up.

#17 ·
sixt9coug said:
<TABLE id=full cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE id=vehicleinfo valign="top"><THEAD><TR><TH colSpan=3>1967 Mercury Cougar

</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="32%" rowSpan=2>$3,500

</TD><TD align=middle colSpan=2>See Saved Vehicles</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Save This Vehicle</TD><TD align=middle><!-- details page ad tag --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var vin = '' </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://acc.cars.com/jserver/acc_random=1133576410332/SITE=CARS.COM/AAMSZ=1x1/ACCDETAIL=carfaxhistory/AFF=recycler/ZIP_CODE=90650/MAKE=Mercury/MODEL=Cougar/AREA=vehicle/pageid=1133576410332/u=24n9i6f11p2037" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript>document.write("Get a CARFAX Record Check");</SCRIPT>Get a CARFAX Record Check <!-- param.nlasaff= --><!-- accAff= --><!-- siteName= --><!-- AFFILIATE.name=recycler --><!-- pageType=inventory --><!-- MAKE: Mercury --><!-- MODEL: Cougar --><!-- end details page ad tag --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=specsbox align=left colSpan=3><TABLE id=specs cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=reg><TD>Mileage </TD><TD>Engine 289 CI</TD></TR><TR class=alt><TD>Body Style </TD><TD>Transmission Auto</TD></TR><TR class=reg><TD>Exterior Color Black</TD><TD>Drive Train </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!-- Copy --><TABLE id=copy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=alt><TD class=features>1967 MERCURY COUGAR XR7 black plates, 289 4bbl auto, need some bodywork, not rusty, runs and drives, hard to find, email for photos #7F93A6 $3,500, dented door and quarter panel, solid and complete, genuine XR7 with console and power brakes and steering 310-827-8400 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

was in the recycler out here. this things are starting to get expensive. :D i hate to say it, ( and make competition for myself should i need anything ) but check the recycler out in the LA area for cheap cars. sometimes they show up.
True.
recycler.com
Don't forget to check in the salvage section of 'automobile parts'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.