Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Secondary locations of Vin# on a 1970 cougar.

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jan Ove 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to the cougar family and I am trying to find any secondary location of where a Vin# might be stamped on body panels or frames etc.

Specifically on a 1970 cougar.

Thanks.

Chris

#2 ·
On each inner fender. Requires removal of fenders to see.

On top of the transmission case. Requires removal of the transmission to see.

On the build tag attached to the radiator core support, RH side.

Stamped into the engine block rear face near the head gasket on the driver side.

#3 ·
Royce- Thank you for the help! I found the Build tag on the Radiator core support. That matches everything. I was going crazy looking at inner fender area's and not seeing anything. I don't plan on removing fenders at this time, but probably in the near future!

Ditto for the engine and tranny.

Thus, with everything that I see, I would confirm this to be a 70 Eliminator. My only question was that the door tad has been scratched pretty badly but you can still make out some detail. The Vin Number has been Assigned with a copy of the original by the California department of motor vehicles. That was my questioning in the first place.

Thanks.

#4 ·
If you stick your head in trough the wheel well and brush off old dirt and whatnot from the underside of the apron, you might be able to see the VIN # from there, if you're able to see it from that side, you can lay a piece of paper over it and mark it off with a pencil, you might get lucky and get a reading of it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.