I found a 1970 Cougar parts car is it worth it?

Thread: I found a 1970 Cougar parts car is it worth it?

I found a 1970 Cougar parts car is it worth it?

I found a 1970 Cougar in a local junk yard it appears to be a standard Cougar no console with reddish or burgandy interior and was painted white. It has front end damage to the divers side so most of the good grille parts are gone. The passenger fender seems to be ok but is covered with surface rust. It looks like there is a 351 Windsor in it but all the pulleys brackets and water pump are gone. Other then that it seems to be complete except for the radio and bezel are gone as well. The guy there said he would sell it to me for $300.00. I'd like to have a parts car sitting around for my '69 but I would want to sell some things off it to pay for itself. Is the red/burgandy interior worth anything? The high back bucket seats seemed to be in good shape but could use a recover.

If it still has a 9" rear under it, you could get most of your $300.00 back for that alone. If it has front disc brakes, those are in demand. Of course, once you sell any of those components the car becomes a headache to move. Doors and '70 window glass will also sell well. So if you've got a place to put it and the time to pull parts, I don't think you'd have any trouble getting your cash back out of it, and anything you could use for yourself would just be gravy.

Jay

Without seeing the car I can not say if you would make your money back or not but I think the chances are good that you would. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of things changed from 69 to 70 and a lot of parts do not interchange. Especially if you want your 69 to be "correct". If being "correct" is not important to you than there are a few more parts that you could use. Good luck.

Randy Goodling
    CCOA #95

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Even if it has drum spindles, save them. In 1970 the spindle shafts and bearings got bigger. These are the pieces that the trans am racers used to build the big T-bird Galaxie 12" front brake conversions with. Never throw away a 1970-73 drum spindle. Cobra automotive sells a kit for converting to the period correct big brakes for Shelbys etc... and they consider 1970 drum spindles like gold. They sell them for a hefty mark up for finding them when you order their big racing brake kit. Here is the page that their kit shows up on http://www.cobraautomotive.com/Handling.htm .

On later single piston caliper disc spindles, the problem was that under racing conditions, they crack at the bolt hole where the upper caliper bracket bolt passes through the upper part of the spindle. The drum spindles dont have this hole and you attach a custom caliper bracket into the drum backing plate bolt holes just like on the early 65-66 Mustang 4 piston brake set ups. Holman Moody made these T-bird/Galaxie/Lincoln big brake caliper brakets for drum spindles and now they are reproduced and sold through cobrautomotive as part of their 12" brake kit.
    Tom
    Last edited by The Fab Ford; February 22nd, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
    I don't mind an honest days work........... as long as someone else does it for me
    My Car Domain Page:
    Hidden Content

My U Tube Page:
    Hidden Content

1970-73 Spindles

Are the spindles you are talking about found on all Ford cars through these years or just Cougars and Mustangs?

Quote Originally Posted by DANNY CLEMENS
    Are the spindles you are talking about found on all Ford cars through these years or just Cougars and Mustangs?
    Cougar/Mustang/Maverick/possible Torino but I forget if they interchange.

I do know that 66-69 Failanes, which the Torino is based on use the same upper control arm as the Mustang/Cougar, so I imagine the spindle is the same. Being that Fairlane name was dropped in 70 I would imagine that the Torinos probably held onto this shocktower, upper arm and spindle design up until around 73. I'll have to look that one up.

The main issue is that everything with the Mustang/Cougar/Maverick spindle went to the big bearing and shaft design, no matter which motor.
    I don't mind an honest days work........... as long as someone else does it for me
    My Car Domain Page:
    Hidden Content

My U Tube Page:
    Hidden Content

What do 9-inch rear ends go for? I know 3 Cougars that I could gank 9er's outta...well...tommorrow...would it be worth it?

Thread Information