Anyone have mixed emotions about classic vs modern cars?

Thread: Anyone have mixed emotions about classic vs modern cars?

Anyone have mixed emotions about classic vs modern cars?

So first off I am going to apologize because I tend to ramble when discussing a topic. And I will give so background info about myself. At 12 years old I had an uncle that had the most beautiful 68 Mercury Cougar that he had put a 351 Cleveland in. I adored him and his car. I had told him if he ever sold it I wanted it. I had went in military at 18 and he sold that car to me for 2500 dollars. At 26 that cars front end was shot. The weight of that cleveland I assume began splitting the shock towers. I purchased another body fairly cheap. And swapped it all over. While in Korea during the Gulf war a tree fell on that car from corner to corner.
    After that I've had quite a few other Camaro and Trans am. I sold my 81 T/A in 2000. It would be the last older car I had. But yes the yearning was there for another Cougar. So when the Challenger srt came out I was like one day I am going to have myself either a modern Challenger or another Cougar. So probably 10 months ago i started my search. I was so torn between classic and modern cars that have amazing horsepower, torque and luxury. The WS6 Trans Am for instance, the Mustang gts and obviously the Challengers.
    So 6 months ago I decided on a pretty clean 69 convertible Cougar. But I am now amazed at the price of parts. I keep finding all the little quirks that need attention. Can't just go across town to AutoZone as I did when I was 20 to get parts. All you guys that are reading this know exactly what I am speaking of.
    So I am wondering if I have made the wrong choice. Should I sell or should I continue to work through the struggles. The reaction I get when i drive it is overwhelming. People stop and ask what is that. Can I take pictures want look and discuss it. I hardly ever see another around here. But all in all they don't understand the struggles and the cost,the time and headaches we go through. I got in it this evening and drove around and I actually told her i was sorry i considered selling you. Yes i talked to it. Lol
    So what's y'alls thoughts about this topic.

Re: Anyone have mixed emotions about classic vs modern cars?

I enjoy fixing the occasional thing that doesn't work just right. We have lots of resources today to help us work on our old cars that didn't exist 25 years ago. I look at a new Mustang and think "Hmm that guy is going to lose $25K when he trades the car in four years from now". I look at my '68 GT-E and think "Hmm I thought this car was expensive when I bought it 25 years ago".

So there are in my mind many financial advantages to having a classic muscle car. Yes, occasionally there is some little thing to work on. But not much since I restored the car in 1995.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

The convenience of being able to run to Autozone is based on the fact you're likely to see one of those cars on every corner. So the reaction you'll get most of the time is along the lines of (Yawn) "Nice Mustang". That 1969 Cougar isn't going down in value because it's going up in rarity. Nicely restored or refreshed, it will draw lots of appreciative and enthusiastic reactions. You won't often see another one on the road. So is it convenience (and sameness) you want, or exclusivity? The former is easy and cheap; the latter requires a bit of patience and effort.
    Bill

"B3Cat" 1968 XR-7 GT
    1969 Corvette L-46 4-speed Coupe
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

I have mixed emotions on this subject... I love the performance and creature comforts of the new muscle cars, however, I have reservations on longevity of them. With all their specialized electronics, imagine trying to fix one 30 or 40 years in the future! I can just see the nightmare of trying to solve electrical issues once production of the electronics have ended.

That being said, my daily driver is a newer vehicle with the performance and creature comforts I enjoy. However, the plan is not to keep this vehicle long term, just enjoy it briefly (read wear it out) and get rid of it sooner than later. I expect I'll keep my 70 until I pass away for several reasons, simple to fix, parts are still available, rarity - don't see many of them and they always draw attention, they'll just keep gong up in value as long as they're kept up and, finally, personal nostalgia. Just my 2 cents

I bought my car to work on (Tinker with). Most every vehicle I purchased this century, When sold had 250k plus miles on them. My first car a 1977 that was 7 seven years old and 70K on the odometer. I was told it should last you two years and it barely did. The new vehicles are far superior in all areas except style. They have to steal that from the older cars. So if your content with a car that if you erase a couple stolen body lines would be a Toyota Camery for it. I farm with a 1962 Farmall, mow with a 1969 Wheel horse and cruise with a 1967 Cougar. I can always make my cougar faster but new cars....they are ugly to the core.
    1967 Cougar
    1969 Raider 12 Wheel horse
    1962 460 International Farmall

With the disclosure of spying on driver's these new "SMART CARS" won't be in my driveway.

It is so easy now to hack into smart car computer systems and if you use the phone thru your car's computer system you are also being recorded.

I can hack into your car's system and know; where you go, what your driving habits are, who you called, who called you. Do you do banking with your phone, in the car?

I can make your brakes or 1 brake come on while your driving and cause you to wreck. I can do anything the computer system does.

1993 or below for me
    catman

Blog Entries

For daily driving newer cars can be nice. I bought a new car in 2015, the idea was it would be used for traveling. The thought was it was under warranty, if something happened I could just call Ford and it would be fixed. I did a fair amount. Washington state to Arizona, washington state to Nevada twice and many trips around the north west. But it got totaled a little over a year ago. No new cars now that I'm retired.

I also like to travel in my 70 XR-7. I drove it to Dearborn for the 50th show. I have had it in Oregon and B.C Canada. Maybe this year I'll get it to Idaho, Nevada and California.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Owning and driving old cars is like owning and driving Jaguars

You need one to drive while the problems with the other one is being fixed

Good brakes, quality shocks, rebuilt suspension and updated a/c make an old car a good daily proposition. Add an o/d transmission if you do lots of freeway miles
    Leon
    Brisbane, Australia

Hidden Content

Designed to be driven
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

10. Re: Anyone have mixed emotions about classic vs modern cars?

I like both

I think alot of it is personal preference and what you expect for enjoyment out of owning a classic. I got my cougar as an unfinished project so me I enjoy the garage time putting my car back together and making it road worthy again. After that is complete I will enjoy modifying it for improved performance to enjoy on the weekends. I enjoying working on the car but I strive for it to be reliable on the road. I do not want it to be constantly breaking down and having to fix it to enjoy it again so depending on the condition of your car you may have to go through everything to get to that point first unless you have the cash to buy a completed restored or refreshed car. I enjoy driving a classic and seeing peoples reactions, it catches attention since it sticks out among all the modern traffic. I have had neighbors stop to ask questions about it sitting in the garage. You just dont get that with a modern car today.

The bonus to a modern car is you can simply jump in it and enjoy in most cases. You have more comforts, safety, and performance right out of the box. The negative is you have less things that you can tinker with, more technology and specialized equipment(scan tools etc) needed to work on it. They cost more to purchase and value will decrease but your not having to restore a 50yr old car either.

I enjoy both modern and classic cars. I love working on all of them and I have grown up under the hood of all my vehicles and even made it a career. Now with less professional wrench time I enjoy it more at home then I used too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourkiddin View Post
    So first off I am going to apologize because I tend to ramble when discussing a topic. And I will give so background info about myself. At 12 years old I had an uncle that had the most beautiful 68 Mercury Cougar that he had put a 351 Cleveland in. I adored him and his car. I had told him if he ever sold it I wanted it. I had went in military at 18 and he sold that car to me for 2500 dollars. At 26 that cars front end was shot. The weight of that cleveland I assume began splitting the shock towers. I purchased another body fairly cheap. And swapped it all over. While in Korea during the Gulf war a tree fell on that car from corner to corner.
    After that I've had quite a few other Camaro and Trans am. I sold my 81 T/A in 2000. It would be the last older car I had. But yes the yearning was there for another Cougar. So when the Challenger srt came out I was like one day I am going to have myself either a modern Challenger or another Cougar. So probably 10 months ago i started my search. I was so torn between classic and modern cars that have amazing horsepower, torque and luxury. The WS6 Trans Am for instance, the Mustang gts and obviously the Challengers.
    So 6 months ago I decided on a pretty clean 69 convertible Cougar. But I am now amazed at the price of parts. I keep finding all the little quirks that need attention. Can't just go across town to AutoZone as I did when I was 20 to get parts. All you guys that are reading this know exactly what I am speaking of.
    So I am wondering if I have made the wrong choice. Should I sell or should I continue to work through the struggles. The reaction I get when i drive it is overwhelming. People stop and ask what is that. Can I take pictures want look and discuss it. I hardly ever see another around here. But all in all they don't understand the struggles and the cost,the time and headaches we go through. I got in it this evening and drove around and I actually told her i was sorry i considered selling you. Yes i talked to it. Lol
    So what's y'alls thoughts about this topic.
    Hi, I follow this forum because my first car in high school was a 67 Cougar 289.auto, vinyl roof so I feel I belong :-)
    Had my 67 Shelby GT500 out for a ride today. Always makes me smile!! Yes, it's a little rough compared to modern cars
    but it goes nice, handles ok for a 53 year old car (just have to know the limitations!)
    My brother wants to sell me his 2018 Shelby GT350. It's a great car, a lot of grunt, handles like a dream and has AC.
    I don't know, I still love my 67!! They are all good :-)

Thread Information