What set of headers for 69 with 351 windsor?

Thread: What set of headers for 69 with 351 windsor?

What set of headers for 69 with 351 windsor?

Im wanting to purchase a set of headers that fit the 1st attempt. I've looked on summit but have read so many bad reviews about fitment issues. Also Im confused as to the 351 and 302 headers. I was told 302 headers bolt up correctly. There is a noticeable price increase for 351 windsor as opposed to 302 headers.
    If someone could tell me which ones they purchased and install without any hiccups. Mine is a non ac car. And I am pretty sure its a fmx tranny

Re: What set of headers for 69 with 351 windsor?

Easy to tell if you have an FMX. Get a magnet. If it sticks to the transmission then you have an FMX.

Shorty headers will fit and give you every bit as much performance as long tube headers if mufflers are part of the system. The shorty headers from Tony Branda fit fine and are very reasonable. Note that their website only talks about Shelby and Mustang. Anything that fits a Mustang fits your Cougar too.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

X2 on shorty headers

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

All the videos I have watched says shortys not much more better than stock manifold. Well mayne the low end torque.

I installed headers on a previous Cat that I owned (351W/FMX)......what a battle. For my current Cat (351W/FMX/Non-AC) I purchased headers from Ford Powertrain Applications (www.fordpowertrain.com)
    I was prepared for a bit of an installation fight.....it didn't happen.
    These longtube beauties dropped right into place without issue. What's more, the collectors tuck right up and are barely visible. I don't cringe when approaching a speedbump. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourkiddin View Post
    All the videos I have watched says shortys not much more better than stock manifold. Well mayne the low end torque.

Keep reading... Unless it is a big block or you plan on turning that small block well over 5000 rpm long tubes are not needed .. Shorties will do everything you need and are a great improvement over stock restrictive cast manifolds...

Yourkiddin,

You've received some good feedback from the group......all depends on what you want and what you expect to see when you raise the hood......you have control.

Cheers

The actual testing I have seen shows little difference if the headers have mufflers behind them. If this is a race car with open headers then there might be a slight low end torue advantage to long tube headers but it is still not a lot.

Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

Im wanting to purchase a set of headers that fit the 1st attempt. I've looked on summit but have read so many bad reviews about fitment issues. Also Im confused as to the 351 and 302 headers. I was told 302 headers bolt up correctly. There is a noticeable price increase for 351 windsor as opposed to 302 headers.
    If someone could tell me which ones they purchased and install without any hiccups. Mine is a non ac car. And I am pretty sure its a fmx tranny
    I had run some Hedmans years ago that were supposed to be good for 302/351 but they were super tight against the body and tight against the trans. Now I run Ford Powertrain headers (http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers2.htm). No issues and they have a nice ball & socket joint instead of the flat triangle.
    1970 Std Coupe, owned since 1983
    was an M code 351C, FMX, 3:00 open, AC/PS/PB
    Now: 418W, 622HP natural, 950 Holley, Super Victor, solid roller custom cam, AFR205's ported, C6,3.50TL
    Best (old) ET all motor: 11.24 @ 119.5
    Best mph all motor: 120.5
    7.13 @ 96.5 1/8mi, 1.54 60' time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old headers.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	102169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coated headers.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	102171Hedman headers. Bolted in easy . I had them coated inside and out. Cermakrome capspowdercoating.com Fresno CA
    Last edited by yellowcat; 2 Days Ago at 07:35 PM.
    1969 xr7 convertible. NIMA SCHLITZA, NIMA PIWA

Thread Information