From EFI, back to a carb set up-

Thread: From EFI, back to a carb set up-

From EFI, back to a carb set up-

So, I pulled the trigger, and found a guy parting out a 91 Cougar XR7 with a 5.0 HO in it, with only 113xxx miles.
    I paid four hundred, and got not only the engine, but all the accessory stuff with it. Complete serpentine belt set up, fuel injection, and harness, intact.
    So I have two primary questions.
    1. If I wanted to keep the fuel injection, is there a stand alone computer product that would serve as the "car" side?
    I know I would have to plumb in a higher pressure fuel pump and fuel return line.
    Also, I would have to get a different radiator, as the inlet and out let are on opposite sides. ( I think? Now I will have to go look.)
    I understand the EFI has a lot of benefits over a carbureted engine, but this is going in my 68, and I prefer the old school look.
    I already have a duraspark distributor, and MSD 6AL box, so the ignition is covered.

If I stick to the plan, I know I will need a new timing cover, and have to add a fuel pump eccentric to the cam. I will have to swap the serpentine pulley over to a V belt pulley. The car is all manual, so I only have to worry about the alternator and fan set up.
    Of course I am on a strict budget, and already have lots of carburetors and parts for the early Cougar's.
    The car has a 3.50 gear and a T5, I think it will feel nice and peppy with the stock motor and the stick shift.

The engine coming out, has the Edelbrock performer top end, air gap dual quad set up, and .496/.520 lift cam to go with the Edelbrock heads. It runs great, but has literally zero lbs of oil pressure at idle. Maybe I can get buy with a new fuel pump, but probably will need new bearings and the fuel pump.

So, what are your thoughts, about either modifying the fuel injection to stay in the car, or swapping the EFI motor back to a carburetor?

I also posted this on Classic Cougar Community- no need to reply twice, thanks! I Know not everyone is on both pages, that is why I posted this twice.
    Last edited by woodsnake; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:58 PM.
    67 XR7, 68 5 SP, 69 5 speed build in progress Hidden Content Hidden Content

*Disclaimer!! All info provided by the woodsnake is free, and worth what it costs!! Use with caution*

What can I say, I like Cougars...
    " yer darn right wow "
    All my projects, pictures and audio clips.
    Hidden Content

"Time to let the Cougar loose" R.B.

Blog Entries

Re: From EFI, back to a carb set up-

If you are keeping the T-5 you will need a correctly balanced fly wheel. I think your early engine is a 28 ounce and the newer engine is 50 ounce. I think I would use the carb set up and maybe later do something like a FI teck or Sniper FI.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Crap. I hadn't thought about the fly wheel- But you are right.
    I have decided that I am going to keep the stock injection stuff, but for now plan on the carb swap. Any "new" requirements, like the FI Tech or similar, are just not in the plan at the moment. Plus I didn't get the ECM from the donor the cougar, just everything on the engine side.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    67 XR7, 68 5 SP, 69 5 speed build in progress Hidden Content Hidden Content

*Disclaimer!! All info provided by the woodsnake is free, and worth what it costs!! Use with caution*

What can I say, I like Cougars...
    " yer darn right wow "
    All my projects, pictures and audio clips.
    Hidden Content

"Time to let the Cougar loose" R.B.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

If you want to keep the current setup you have, just strip the both engines down to the long block, and transfer the 289 items to the 5.0 with exception of the flywheel (as mentioned already) and the harmonic balancer (this needs to be changed as well if you want to keep the v-belt).
    - Robert I.

Projects:

67 Cougar
    Art Morrison Sport IFS
    3-link Rear Suspension
    Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56
    Build: Hidden Content

Brother's 1966 Mustang Restomod
    Mustang II front suspension
    Torque Arm Rear Suspension
    Ridetech Shockwaves
    5.0 w/ Viper t56

I know that you can get a new flywheel for 28oz that will accept a modern clutch from a 5.0 Mustang with T5. I purchased one from Kajun Enterprises. they are showing permanently closed though.
    google comes up with this information, Ford sells it? Lots of sellers in google search.
    Order a M-6375-A302B Ford Performance 157T Steel Flywheel with 28.2 oz.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

1968 XR7 J code 5 speed
    1968 Mustang GT/CS 302-4V

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW---Whata ride!!!"

One fuel injection computer that seems to be popular is the Megasquirt:
    http://megasquirt.info/

It started out as a DIY open source system.

The manual can be found here:
    http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm

Assembly required!
    Vic Yarberry
    Cougars Unlimited LLC
    Hidden Content

'67 Cougar 289 2x4V 4-speed
    '68 Cougar XR7 390 4-speed
    '70 Cougar 351C-4V 4-speed Convertible

Pimp computer from Stinger works well. Speed density, comes with a base tune and very easy to install. I have 3 right now in mustangs, and a 4th for my 67 when i get my efi swap finished up.

Thread Information