Mercury Cougar Owners banner

73 Cougar - 6R80 Swap

22K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Grizzlee72 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I posted! My current transmission, a AOD/4R70W hybrid, has been bothering me in that I don't have good control over the shift points. I have decided to swap in a 6R80 transmission now that bell housing adapters are available. I haven't seen really any info on swapping these transmissions in to classic cars, so I will document the process here.

I purchased the following:

2014 F150 6R80 Transmission
US Shift Quick 6 Transmission Controller
Performance Automatic 68507 SBF to 6R80 Bellhousing Adapter
Performance Automatic 68509 6R80 Torque Converter Adapter

I'm still on the fence with the shifter. I will try to adapt the factory shifter to work. If it doesn't, I will use the Lokar Electronic Sport Shifter.

The transmission mount will require fabrication. It's totally different from the C4/C6/AOD/4R70W mount - and several inches to the rear.

Initial thoughts:

- The 6R80 bellhousing is very similar to the SBF size - so there's no real concern here
- The 6R80 body is significantly larger than a AOD/4R70W. I will need to relieve the tunnel near the old trans mount area. It does fit though!
- The transmission mount differences don't appear to be major. I can definitely fab a mount.
- The 6R80 does not have a slip yoke. I need a telescopic driveline. More on this later.
- The 6R80 has no mechanical speedo hookup. Not a problem. Speedhut sells a mechanical driver that takes an electronic input.
- The Performance Automatics 68509 kit lets you use the stock 6R80 torque converter.

I will keep this updated with my progress...

Pulling the AOD/4R70W out

Old and new

Bellhousing and adapter - the size is very similar

Adapter installed

Transmission test fit

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm looking forward to the rest of the build. How many forward gears does this transmission have?

#4 ·
It fits! I have a minimum of 1/2" clearance after removing a portion of the factory trans mount reinforcement. I'm designing a rear trans mount to bolt to the subframe. It also appears I can use the factory shifter.

#5 ·
As we always say, your never really done tinkering with these old cars glad your posting your project:beer: I gave up on you since you quit the blog updates :1poke::evil: Some really good info on your trials and tribulations working on your phatcat :smoke:

#6 · (Edited)
Haha I really should update that. It got to be a chore so I gave up. Then I got too far behind. I'm trying to be better about documenting my projects now

I think the main things I added to the car were Traction Control, Launch Control, and this 6R80 (now). I did make a cool little dashboard display to show me all my stats - installed where the factory clock is. I sort of checked out for a bit and build some other projects. I made a reverse trike and for the past 18 months have been building an electric DeLorean.

#11 · (Edited)
Updates -

I designed a new shift lever (for the transmission) and a cross member. The cross member is made of 3/16" 304 stainless. It seems to all fit well. I designed it to interface to the Stifflers Suspension insulator - https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/ivp-tm-m06 I also had the new driveline made (not pictured). I'll get some better pics up in the next couple days.

#12 ·
More updates. The transmission and driveline are all bolted in. I had some issues with the torque converter snub to crank pilot distance. Ford made some inter-year change to the 6R80 TC design, so the depth changes a little. I modified the pilot adapter on the lathe and shortened the TC snub. All fit fine after that.

You can see the TC stud spacers here. These account for the adapter plate.

#13 ·
Update!

I finished the transmission cooling system and shifter linkage. I'm running a B&M SuperCooler (70274), -8AN lines, and Performance Automatic cooler line adapters. For the shifter, I'm using a Performance Automatic AOD shift linkage (from my previous install) and a custom shift lever that I designed. It works great. The shift indicator lines up perfectly on the factory Cougar shifter. I should have the US Shift Quick 6 controller tomorrow and plan to be back on the road on Friday.

#16 ·
Aaaand it's back on the road. My controller arrived and I got it all wired in before lunch on Friday. I drove the it home with no issues. Having 6 speeds is nice. I played with the shift points a little. This should be nice on trips. I think the next items will be to fix an exhaust leak, maybe a softer trans mount insulator (reduce transmitted vibration), and mount the controller properly. I'd also like to wire up the manumatic shift buttons. I can put the transmission in a "sport" mode and manually shift like a modern car. Also I will color match that hood scoop. The only reason I added the scoop was my underhood temps were unmanageable - it was killing performance. And routing a cold air setup was difficult. So I punted and installed the OE style scoop I've had for years. Now my underhood temps are ambient + 10*

#19 ·
Aint that the truth ! :evil: Glad you posted some driveway shots, I forgot what your phat cat looked like except the underside. All joking aside, your project is inspiring, i'll have to plan some "winter" projects for mine. :smoke:

#21 ·
I used the factory starter from the 351C. It wasn't a ton of material moved - it was mostly right around that starter. Maybe 10 sq in overall? I don't have a good pic handy.

You'll like the 6R80 swap. It's still going strong.

#22 ·
This is a great thread, very useful information. My only question is where did you get the 6R80 from and was it new or used? I want to do a similar swap to my old gal, my mechanic has a used 6R80 laying around he could rebuild for about 3k but I read this article 6R80 Transmission about remanufactured 6r80 transmissions lasting longer than rebuilt ones, is that true??

#23 ·
This is a great thread, very useful information. My only question is where did you get the 6R80 from and was it new or used? I want to do a similar swap to my old gal, my mechanic has a used 6R80 laying around he could rebuild for about 3k but I read this article 6R80 Transmission about remanufactured 6r80 transmissions lasting longer than rebuilt ones, is that true??
Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I bought a used 6R80 for $700. I bough it from a local wrecking yard - although ebay is a good source too. Mine came from an F150. The only difference between the mustang and f150 6r80 is the shift linkage - which doesn't matter since you'll be doing something different. I think you'd be fine just getting a used trans as long as it isn't fried. I used the factory 6r80 torque converter with no issues.

#26 ·
I had a local driveline place make it. It was straightforward. I just took the measurements they asked for and it worked perfect the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.