It's been a while since I posted! My current transmission, a AOD/4R70W hybrid, has been bothering me in that I don't have good control over the shift points. I have decided to swap in a 6R80 transmission now that bell housing adapters are available. I haven't seen really any info on swapping these transmissions in to classic cars, so I will document the process here.
I purchased the following:
2014 F150 6R80 Transmission
US Shift Quick 6 Transmission Controller
Performance Automatic 68507 SBF to 6R80 Bellhousing Adapter
Performance Automatic 68509 6R80 Torque Converter Adapter
I'm still on the fence with the shifter. I will try to adapt the factory shifter to work. If it doesn't, I will use the Lokar Electronic Sport Shifter.
The transmission mount will require fabrication. It's totally different from the C4/C6/AOD/4R70W mount - and several inches to the rear.
- The 6R80 bellhousing is very similar to the SBF size - so there's no real concern here
- The 6R80 body is significantly larger than a AOD/4R70W. I will need to relieve the tunnel near the old trans mount area. It does fit though!
- The transmission mount differences don't appear to be major. I can definitely fab a mount.
- The 6R80 does not have a slip yoke. I need a telescopic driveline. More on this later.
- The 6R80 has no mechanical speedo hookup. Not a problem. Speedhut sells a mechanical driver that takes an electronic input.
- The Performance Automatics 68509 kit lets you use the stock 6R80 torque converter.
I will keep this updated with my progress...
Pulling the AOD/4R70W out
Old and new
Bellhousing and adapter - the size is very similar
Transmission test fit