Tachometer able to be hooked up?

Thread: Tachometer able to be hooked up?

Tachometer able to be hooked up?

So as I go through everything to get this car roadworthy I would like to hook up the tach if possible. Read the posts about the wiring being different for standards and XR7s. Car is a standard but has an XR7 dash cluster. Tach was working fine before (prior to engine rebuild) with the stock distributor. Rebuilt engine (351W) has a Mallory HEI (pointless, coil-less) distributor now. The 2 wires that were being used (NOT part of the stock harness) are labelled "coil negative" and "distributor points". I assume they go from the engine compartment into the tach, I can't tell because they are electrical taped to the existing wiring. Can these 2 wires be connected properly to have the XR7 tach work? Eventually I will do an aftermarket dash cluster but for now I would like to have a functioning tach if possible...
    Daily drivers 'til now...
    '68 Chevy Camaro, 327/275
    '75 Porsche 914, 2.0L
    '86 Ford Mustang SVO
    '98 Ford Contour SVT
    '00 Volvo C70, 2.3L HPT
    '06 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast

Re: Tachometer able to be hooked up?

Quote Originally Posted by MyDad's69Cugr View Post
    So as I go through everything to get this car roadworthy I would like to hook up the tach if possible. Read the posts about the wiring being different for standards and XR7s. Car is a standard but has an XR7 dash cluster. Tach was working fine before (prior to engine rebuild) with the stock distributor. Rebuilt engine (351W) has a Mallory HEI (pointless, coil-less) distributor now. The 2 wires that were being used (NOT part of the stock harness) are labelled "coil negative" and "distributor points". I assume they go from the engine compartment into the tach, I can't tell because they are electrical taped to the existing wiring. Can these 2 wires be connected properly to have the XR7 tach work? Eventually I will do an aftermarket dash cluster but for now I would like to have a functioning tach if possible...
    Go to the WCCC website and download the free wire schematic, It should have both standard and XR7 connections. Who labeled the wires (coil and dizzy) ? Is the engine running now without the tac ? Check to see if your HEI dizzy has the plug for a tach, Ive seen both options listed.
    2008 Suburban Daily Driver
    1973 XR7 Vert 351Q
    Ex 1967 Coupe
    Ex 1972 XR7 Vert
    Ex 1975 XR7

I know I have the right to remain silent, sometimes I just don't have the ability

The stock tach won't work with the aftermarket Mallory ignition. You can get it modified by Rocketman to convert it to a aftermarket tachometer style movement which can be used.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Peterson View Post
    The stock tach won't work with the aftermarket Mallory ignition. You can get it modified by Rocketman to convert it to a aftermarket tachometer style movement which can be used.
    Thanks Royce, useful information, won't even waste my time trying. Guess it's time to start getting more serious about that aftermarket gauge cluster. Have the original standard gauge cluster, a good starting point to build something practical that has some stock appearance!
    Daily drivers 'til now...
    '68 Chevy Camaro, 327/275
    '75 Porsche 914, 2.0L
    '86 Ford Mustang SVO
    '98 Ford Contour SVT
    '00 Volvo C70, 2.3L HPT
    '06 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast

Don’t throw out the old tach, the mechanism can be used to repair broken tachs (like mine). And the case can be converted to the modern style tach by Rocketman.

Thread Information