Knocking noise in front end.

Thread: Knocking noise in front end.

Knocking noise in front end.

So I am 2 months or so into ownership of my beautiful 69 convertible. I have came a long way into working out all the small issues this car has. I had taken it to a highly recommended front end alignment guy. I was under it with him and watched his every move. I had initially came to the conclusion the front end had been rebuilt. He came up with same conclusion. Only needed the upper ball joints replaced and had it aligned.

Problem is I have a knocking noise on both sides of front end from time to time. Obviously hard to describe noises but I am gonna do my best. Sounds as if someone tapped the frame or fender with small hammer. And it does it periodically. And I never know which side its going to be or when. Now I am not a mechanic but have fairly good mechanical and trouble shooter skills. I feel as it maybe the springs are shifting or something. I am also wanting to say they may supposed to have some rubber bushing that go on the springs. I have nothing to compare it to.

I can jack it up and turn wheels all day and it never happens. Also it does seem to happen on entering drive way or going over a bump at slow speeds

Re: Knocking noise in front end.

Maybe cracked shock towers? Or did someone install polyurethane bushings? The poly bushings are notoriously noisy.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

I also have a "mysterious" klonk sometimes, maybe once every 50 miles, always when cornering. I also suspect one of the front springs moving in the tower...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

This is an easy question to answer. Your upper control arm pivots are worn out (common problem). Could also be lower control arm strut rod bushings but less likely (these are easier to inspect too do not require lubrication). If you look closely at the UCA pivots (which is hard to do), you will see that the "dogbone" is not centered in the large nuts they mate with in the arm(s). This is because of wear. The dogbone to nuts is a metal to metal threaded joint. They are prone to wearing out because they are hard to grease and most have seen neglect in periodic lubrication. The easiest solution to this problem is replacement of the UCA assemblies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

P.S. The reason you can jack the car up and turn the wheels all day long without having the problem is because the spring is above the upper control arm. The spring pressure keeps the UCA pivot problems from happening when jacked up. Only when the weight of the car counters the spring force and the UCA's are freer to move does their looseness show up.
    Isabel: The realization of a seven year long dream:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by 1969XR7Vert View Post
    This is an easy question to answer. Your upper control arm pivots are worn out (common problem). Could also be lower control arm strut rod bushings but less likely (these are easier to inspect too do not require lubrication). If you look closely at the UCA pivots (which is hard to do), you will see that the "dogbone" is not centered in the large nuts they mate with in the arm(s). This is because of wear. The dogbone to nuts is a metal to metal threaded joint. They are prone to wearing out because they are hard to grease and most have seen neglect in periodic lubrication. The easiest solution to this problem is replacement of the UCA assemblies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert

I agree with Robert

Thread Information