'70 Turn signal switch assembly for NON Tilt column wanted

Thread: '70 Turn signal switch assembly for NON Tilt column wanted

'70 Turn signal switch assembly for NON Tilt column wanted

Anyone got a clean used one out there? Narrowed down all my brake light issues to the switch. All the aftermarket ones have bad reviews......

Re: '70 Turn signal switch assembly for NON Tilt column wanted

It's way too much work to install a used switch that may or may not work, and will probably fail soon because it was installed 50 years ago. Spend money on a real one and then it will likely last your lifetime. Ths is a job that takes several hours, the price for a real NOS Ford switch is not bad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-1...QAAOSwFp5cw3Eq
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

I spent a great deal of time in late 2017-early 2018 testing several improvement iterations of the Drake D2AZ-13341-C switch. First, I measured the static resistance through the switch. Then I measured the temperature at various rivet locations to understand how the switches fail. Simultaneously, I measured the voltage drop across the switch under load and calculated the resistance. I also measured the same points on an NOS Ford switch built in the early 1990's.The NOS switch resistance was well below .1 ohms. The Drake switch measured from .3 to .9 ohms.

I discovered that the voltage drop caused by the excess resistance was overheating the steel rivets at the green, blue, orange/blue, and green/orange wires. The rivet temperatures exceeded the melting point of the plastic housing on the original Drake switch. This is why the old Drake switches failed. They were marginal in a Mustang and not viable in a Cougar.

The manufacturer revised the switch with thicker wires, brass rivets, higher temperature plastic, and improved the material for the brake "W" contact bar.
    The goal was to reduce the resistance through the switch and reduce the heating generated.

The old version would release the "magic" smoke in about 45 seconds. The final version of the revised switch was tested successfully for over 10 minutes with full brake lamp current.

Note: It is a good idea to operate the switch 10 times in each direction to clear the grease from the internal contacts.

My recommendation is to measure any new switch from the green to the orange/blue and green/orange wire - it should be near or below to .1 ohms.
    Also measure from the blue to the orange/blue in the Right turn position and then blue to the green/orange wire in the Left turn position.

However, the best solution is to convert to LED bulbs and reduce the current through the switch (by a factor of 7!).
    Vic Yarberry
    Cougars Unlimited LLC
    Hidden Content

'67 Cougar 289 2x4V 4-speed
    '68 Cougar XR7 390 4-speed
    '70 Cougar 351C-4V 4-speed Convertible

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Thank you but It appears I missed the auction! I even have that saved in my Ebay search for reminders and that never came up. I guess it sold immediately. If you know of another please let me know!

what did you end up going with ?

Thread Information