do I need one of these to bleed brakes properly?

Thread: do I need one of these to bleed brakes properly?

do I need one of these to bleed brakes properly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	braketool.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	101765 I just rebuilt my Combination valve after the brake light came on. The valve was pretty nasty. I also replaced the Bendix brake booster and master cylinder since everything was apart.

Some discussion on the web talk about keeping the piston in the CV "centered" while attempting the brake bleed, to prevent the piston from ending up jammed to one side because of fluid pushing it off center. Never used this tool before.

I have a 73 XR7 with stock brakes disk/drum.

Already:
    MC Bled w/o over-forcing the piston to the rear.
    wheel cylinder/caliper bleeder screws greased to prevent air entering the line.
    Tried Motive, One man check valve, and two man bleed technique. Very little fluid coming from rear brake

So far I have tried several methods to get fluid at the rear brakes with not much luck. A gurgling at the rear of the master cylinder told me I might have blown a seal in the MC while bench bleeding. I rebuilt the MC and want good advice before trying again.

Do I need the centering tool? Is there a sure way to bleed an opened system?
    1973 XR-7 Convertible
    Black/Black
    351 C 2BBL

Re: do I need one of these to bleed brakes properly?

That valve assembly has not one thing to do with having fluid at your rear brakes. The only thing that block does is turn on the idiot light if there is a pressure loss on one side or the other.

Most likely you have the pushrod adjusted too long. This keeps the master cylinder from reaching the point where fluid can enter the inlet when the pedal is released. Consult your shop manual for the proper adjustment technique and dimensions.

Or:

Your master cylinder is a generic replacement and it cannot be adjusted to the factory specs.

Or:

You didn't bench bleed the master cylinder prior to installation

Or:

The brake line from the front of the car to the rear is clogged with rust so no fluid can pass.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

Re: do I need one of these to bleed brakes properly?

The tool isn't required. If the piston moves off-center while bleeding, it can always be moved back in the other direction by cracking open a bleeder on the other side of the braking system and pressing the brake pedal until the warning lamp goes off. Tighten the bleeder valve without lifting your foot from the pedal while the lamp is off and all should be good. All the tool does is hold the piston in place to prevent movement, thus saving you the time of having to re-center the piston.
    Hidden Content

Scott Hollenbeck
    Administrator, Hidden Content
    Owner, Hidden Content
    1970 Calypso Coral 428 CJ Mach 1 Mustang
    1995 Chevrolet Impala SS
    2006 Dodge Charger SRT8

Thread Information