Headlight hose dilemma

Thread: Headlight hose dilemma

Headlight hose dilemma

As Cougar owners, one thing that most of us eventually needs, are headlight hoses. A few years ago, after completing a rotisserie restoration on my car, I purchased a brand new set of reproduction hoses from WCCC. Although they were very expensive, I went ahead and bought a set, because it seemed like the only available option. After a couple of years, these hoses became harder and harder. I would shorten them and they would crack; it was clear that they were an inferior product. I contacted Don at WCCC. As it turned out, he was way ahead of me, and had already cut ties with the manufacturer of this junk. To Don’s credit, he did what he could, and sent me a good set of used hoses out of one of his salvage cars. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Unfortunately, I really can’t use old hoses in my car, and I don’t want to make my own from parts store tubing. I would like to have a new, correct set, but I’m not sure which way to go.
    Hidden Content '68 XR-7 428 Cobra Jet (464ci.) w/toploader, Gear Vendors overdrive, 9" equa-lok Waterloo, Iowa
    Hidden Content

Re: Headlight hose dilemma

I bought standard hose and made my own set/ They are not striped as the originals but they're holding up and were a lot cheaper.
    Houston TX
    1970 Cougar XR7 Hardtop 351C-4V, FMX, PW, PB, PS, AC, Styled Steel Wheels, Vinyl Top - Bought April 2015
    RIP - 1970 Cougar Std. 351C-2V, FMX, PS, AC, Vinyl Top, retro fitted PB - new to 1983

I may have to. I’m running out of options. What did you do for the “cork” that goes through the firewall?
    Hidden Content '68 XR-7 428 Cobra Jet (464ci.) w/toploader, Gear Vendors overdrive, 9" equa-lok Waterloo, Iowa
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Re: Headlight hose dilemma

I use GOOF - OFF and some fine Scotch Brite to clean the original hoses. They come out looking like new afterwards provided that you start with a set that isn't cut or damaged in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stangwires View Post
    As Cougar owners, one thing that most of us eventually needs, are headlight hoses. A few years ago, after completing a rotisserie restoration on my car, I purchased a brand new set of reproduction hoses from WCCC. Although they were very expensive, I went ahead and bought a set, because it seemed like the only available option. After a couple of years, these hoses became harder and harder. I would shorten them and they would crack; it was clear that they were an inferior product. I contacted Don at WCCC. As it turned out, he was way ahead of me, and had already cut ties with the manufacturer of this junk. To Don’s credit, he did what he could, and sent me a good set of used hoses out of one of his salvage cars. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Unfortunately, I really can’t use old hoses in my car, and I don’t want to make my own from parts store tubing. I would like to have a new, correct set, but I’m not sure which way to go.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

Thread Information