Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Headlight relay kit installed

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  ndtorque 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I thought I share another thing on here cause I know it may help alot of people on this site. I bought this headlight relay kit on ebay for $16 and its pretty cool since its plug and play and it truly made a huge difference on my car. Btw my headlamps are original.

Light Night Asphalt Architecture Road

Light Night Sky Tree Adaptation

Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Car Headlamp

I took these pictures with the engine off since I didn't want to wake up the girlfriend

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks interesting. The advertisement on eBay lacks any sort of detail about how many kits are needed or what tools are required to mount the system. Where did yu mount the relay? How much time was required? Is one kit enough for one Cougar?

#5 ·
Yes Royce, one kit if enough. The only two things I had to do is drill holes to mount the solenoid and and a small clamp to hold the wiring harness in place to keep it from getting crushed by the headlight door adjustment bolt. Yore right, not alot of info on this kit but seeing its made for older cars and in the past being able to install similar kits on my family's cars I was pretty confident it would work but if it didn't then I would modify it to make it work but thank fully it was just direct plug and play. Ill include some pictures

#4 ·
From the pictures of the connectors and relays it look pretty straight forward to 1) hooking up some power and grounds 2) plugging your headlight connectors into it 3) plugging it into your headlights .. nice find hard to buy just the connectors and relays for that price

#6 ·
Yes its pretty straight forward. This is the best $16 bucks I ever spent. Here are some pics

As you can see what bolt I use for my ground connections

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle

That rubber steel clamp I talked about earlier for holding my wiring harness in place to keep it away from getting crushed

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle

As you can see where I mounted my relays and ran the wiring behind the radiator for my driver side connections

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

I like that you can't see the relays from here and as you can see this is where I wired my positive connection to the positive side of my solenoid starter

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel line

And finally on the driver side this where I ran the wiring harness through and use the ground bolt. Very easy install and only took me about 2-3 hours.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Fuel line

#10 ·
Thanks. Ive seen other similar kits with the same relays the have very positive reviews but for sure you could always upgrade

A few years ago, i got a headlight relay kit from Rocketman Bob. It was a great kit because it was made for a Cougar. Totally plug and play, and could be removed without having any altered wires.
Oh that one is nice and cost a pretty penny. For me, right now im trying to save a pretty penny lol especially with these gas prices

Thanks for all the helpful pictures!
Youre welcome Royce!

#8 ·
A few years ago, i got a headlight relay kit from Rocketman Bob. It was a great kit because it was made for a Cougar. Totally plug and play, and could be removed without having any altered wires.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful pictures!

#13 · (Edited)
I suggest buying your own high quality weatherproof relay and building your own harness to ensure you have quality parts and connections. I wouldn't trust this cheap Chinese eBay relay kit under my hood. Its not too complicated and could be done for only a few bucks more then this kit. Ive seen far too many of these cheap relays die, melt, corrode from moisture etc. The wiring is typically super cheap too and never holds up to the heat under the hood. The insulation will crack in a short time leaving the wiring exposed. On top of that the ring terminals are super thin material and bend out of shape easily and break off.

Or spend the money for the rocketman kit.

#15 ·
I think it would be less noticeable if they were mounted in the fenderwell outboard of the battery. Should be plenty of wire length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.